First handgun for target shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,
I need your help to pin down my first handgun.

Wants:
Target shooting, accurate, reliable.
Any brand, looking for the best of breed.

Cal:
.22 lr?

Last edited:
How much do you want to spend? Do you want just an all around pistol or an Olympic quality free pistol? I would recommend a target model ruger semi auto, either the MK series or the 22/45 Dependine which one feels the best in your hands

I would start with a .22LR just because you can get a ton of rounds down range nearly for free. Once you get the hang of it, and if it's something you really enjoy, then you can look at acquiring more pistols of different calibres.

You don't mention all the purposes you want to use it for. Only target shooting, or do you also want one for self defense?

If you're only interested in target shooting, I recommend either the Ruger MK II pistol (these would be on the used market), the Ruger MK III (which are available new), or the Browning Buckmark. All these use .22 LR, and that makes them cheap to shoot. Cheap thrills! I would try to get the MK II over the MK III, as the latter has, IMHO, features such as a trigger lock and a "loaded chamber indicator" that are useless and unneeded. Either Ruger will probably be the most reliable, but the Buckmark is more ergonomic. The Buckmark is decently reliable but MUST be regularly and thoroughly cleaned every 3000 rounds or so. Otherwise you WILL get stoppages. The Rugers are less finicky about cleaning (although you should still clean them!). In my experience, both are equally accurate but the ergonomics of the Buckmark make it easier to aim and hold on target for me. As I said, they're cheap to shoot. You should be able to get one of these for roughly $300 to $350 or so new, less if used.

If you also want one for self defense, you will need something with more pizzazz than .22 LR. There's a wide range of choices out there. Do you want a revolver or semi-automatic? If a revolver, the bare minimum caliber to consider is .38 Special. .357 Magnum would be better (and it can also fire .38 Special). Smith and Wessons are great revolvers, but there are many others, including Taurus, Ruger, etc. Take your pick!

If you want a semi-auto, I would say the minimum caliber for self defense is 9 mm. Lots of folks swear by .45 cal, and I won't argue with that! :) It's a very powerful cartridge but it can be intimidating to shoot for a new shooter. .40 cal is also good. There are too many makes and if I recommend one, someone else will protest! I personally like Glocks but that's just me. Most semi-auto manufacturers make guns in a large variety of calibers. YMMV!

Whatever gun you decide to get, make sure you get some training. Find a local shooting range, indoor or outdoor, and take an introductory class (the NRA is good about offering these) on handgun safety and marksmanship. Such classes are quite inexpensive and you'll learn a lot, believe me. There are also more serious classes out there that teach you markmanship and tactics for self defense over an entire day or two. But take the intro class first.

Check out this website. Yes, it is geared towards women (I'm assuming you're a guy!), but the principles in there are the same and there's a lot of good advice there. Good luck, and I think you're making a good choice getting into handgun shooting!

http://corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

22 LR Browning Buckmark with target barrel-very nice trigger, VERY accurate.
The ubiquitous Ruger 22 or 22/45 (22/45 has a grip angle that's the same as Colt 1911A1, some say it was the most comfortable angle ever).

For revolver: Taurus 22 cal (probably the cheapest option). Gives a flexibility to shoot 22 LR and 22 Short. A different cylinder will take 22 Win Mag, IIRC. Will give a half decent self-defense round.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
How much do you want to spend? Do you want just an all around pistol or an Olympic quality free pistol? I would recommend a target model ruger semi auto, either the MK series or the 22/45 Dependine which one feels the best in your hands

This.

good question,
wife will chop my nuts off, if I spend a few grands on a pistol.
I am thinking value, how about $500?

I would look for a Ruger MK II with the bull barrel on the used market. They are the best gun to learn handgun target shooting with, IMO. I love mine, and have since my father first let me shoot it many years ago. Total cost of maybe $300-350 for the gun (maybe less, look around). There are cheaper options available, sure, but none with the quality of this. You can just shoot it all day and never get tired of it.

For a little $20 extra you can get some Hogue grips that will make the gun that much more fun and easy to aim.

purely target shooting, 22lr for self defense, hmm, the bad might pass out from a cornary upon seeing a 22!

won't be much use for self defense if I can't drive with it loaded, then we are talking concealed carry lic, arr.

Brands:
how are Walther m3 or m4 etc?

I will lookup the Ruger mk and Browning buckmark later tonight.

Not sure about the Walther, it might also be a good choice and prices seem about the same as the Browning and Ruger .22 pistols.

Another piece of advice: if you can afford to pay around $500, get the gun in stainless steel. Believe me, it's worth not having to worry as much about your nice piece rusting, especially if you're out shooting and all of a sudden it starts to rain or you get water on it somehow (remember that scene from "The Fugitive" where Tommy Lee Jones is aiming his pistol at Harrison Ford and water is dripping on it?). I wish I had paid the extra $$$ for a stainless Buckmark, as I always need to be extra careful to clean it and dry it if it gets wet, or be extra careful to avoid getting it near water. Does cost an additional $100 to $150 though, so get what you can afford.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
good question,
wife will chop my nuts off, if I spend a few grands on a pistol.
You would be better off without them. Sometimes I think if at 14 years old I was gelded I would own half of N. Calif.

+1 for the Ruger.
I have a MK1 that is a nail driver.
If you get a cheap mark2, there are "uppers" available new, with bull barrels, match chambers, etc.
The Walther p22 target is a good choice too, but a totally different experience.

I would suggest a Hi-Point C9 9mm. Its a decent pistol all around and is very rugged. Simple blowback design just like a Makarov. Its large and somewhat heavy but compensates for recoil very nicely. Good pistol to train on at a price less than $150 NEW!!! You cant beat this price with any pistol no matter what. Sure its good to get a .22LR pistol to train on but when you want to step up your just going to have to buy another gun.

I settled on Walther m4, the price sold me.

Yaris, bud, I hateeeeeeeeeeeee you! I was going to buy the 1 target 22 and call it a day, but I have the must have bigger "bug" in me now, arrrrh,
I bought a XDM 9mm also , the current free mag offer and great comments from other members, sold me on it :)
I should get them this weekend and can't wait to take em to the range.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back