Trying Lubegard Red Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as draining it, I just dump the bottle in. LG says that more won't hurt it, and being a tiny bit overfull won't hurt it either.

As far as my focus goes, shift quality has stayed the same, but it's a completely electronic transmission, so that doesn't shock me. But it made a noticeable difference in shift quality in the Expedition, and the Jeep.

I just put Lubegard red in my BMW with 199,000 miles on a GM made trany. Only 40 miles and an overnight soak. However it seems to shift smoother.

Put Lubegard red in my 1995 bmw 525i to hopefully reduce a shudder/slip betweeen shifts.

Lubegard only been in car for 140 miles. Current 18,000 fill is Valvoline Dexron VI. Seems to be smoother and firmer shift most of the time. Even so, there are still some shifts that seem drawn out. Been told it takes 200-300 miles before product is fully effective.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts about using Lubegard Red in an '09 Honda Civic (auto) with a bit over 20,000 miles on it. I live in Phoenix, AZ. (desert climate) & do a combination of surface street/freeway driving.

I'm thinking about doing a fluid change (3 times) with the new Honda ATF-DW-1 fully synthetic fluid. Would the Lubegard Red be "overkill" in this situation? While I'm still under warranty, would I be batter off just using fresh DW-1?

Thank you,

Joe F.

Originally Posted By: Joseph Fihn
What are your thoughts about using Lubegard Red in an '09 Honda Civic (auto) with a bit over 20,000 miles on it. I live in Phoenix, AZ. (desert climate) & do a combination of surface street/freeway driving.

I'm thinking about doing a fluid change (3 times) with the new Honda ATF-DW-1 fully synthetic fluid. Would the Lubegard Red be "overkill" in this situation? While I'm still under warranty, would I be batter off just using fresh DW-1?

Thank you,

Joe F.

As long as LG Red is the recommended product for your Honda I'd use it w/o hesitation. They have different formulations for different AT fluids, just be sure Red is the right one for your Honda.

Is lubegard still working well for you guys?

I recently did a few Maxlife atf changes and did not use Lubegard in the 03 Monte Carlo SS(55K miles) or the 04 Impala SS(9K miles). I was thinking about adding a bottle to each car but not sure if they really need it...

Works for me. I used the platinum, but the tech expert at Lubegard said red is more preferrable and more targeted to dex/merc usage.

I'm about to try Lube Power Steering Protectant in my P/S system too.

I have used Lubegard Red in 5 vehicles, 2001 Taurus, 2002 Taurus, 1998 Ford F-150 (V-6), 2004 Nissan Xterra (It takes DexIII according to the manual), and a Dodge Van that was heavily modded into a short bus sometime in the 80's.

The only one that has had any issues was the bus the owner blew the engine going 70+ MPH on a 4 hour trip. However the transmission held up just fine. It was a rod that he broke or a bearing that he spun. All I know is by the time I got to look at it the knock was such it sounded like the engine was about to break loose of its mounts and throw it's pieces everywhere. Those 318" Dodge engines are tough, but he managed to break one.

All of them have had no issues what so ever concerning the transmission. I will continue to use Maxlife and Lubegard in all my Dex/Merc vehicles. It is inexpensive and I have found it works well.

BTW, I also have Magnefines on the 2 Tauruses and the Nissan, and a full flow spin on filter set up on the F-150. All of them seem to shift as smoothly if not more so than when I got them.

Originally Posted By: Joseph Fihn

Thank you,

Joe F.

Definitely overkill. 2000 CR-V with 168,000 miles on it. did a drain and fill with dw-1 and transmission is shifting much smoother now. If you do it 3 times you should be good. no need to waste money.

fiddler

^I also feel like Lubegard Red is better on only older tranny's that saw extensive service, or still use, legacy fluids in A/T apps.

Get a full synthetic ATF like Amsoil or as the poster above indicated, the original Honda fluid on such a new vehicle should be good to go, IMO.

The LG Red worked wonders in my old Buick. Along with Maxlife ATF, it smoothed out the transmission nicely.

Seeing how our cars are now a Honda automatic filled with Maxlife and a GM manual filled with whatever the factory used, I won't have any more opportunities to use LG Red on personal cars.

I just put some in my brothers Cherokee when I changed out his burnt fluid...I refilled with 4qts of Royal Purple ATF and 1/2 bottle of Red LG.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The LG Red worked wonders in my old Buick. Along with Maxlife ATF, it smoothed out the transmission nicely.

Seeing how our cars are now a Honda automatic filled with Maxlife and a GM manual filled with whatever the factory used, I won't have any more opportunities to use LG Red on personal cars.

I added LG red to my 01' Accords's A/T and if it didn't help it certainly didn't hurt.
The BAXA unit was known to be trouble prone so I figured the Honda Z-1 fluid could use all the help it could get. I sold that car with 108K with the original A/T...

I'm a big fan of LG red bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back