Dexcool in Subaru Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ended up switching over to Dexcool in this car, I don't think I would do it again, did it by accident (bought some at advance, just reading the 150,000 miles but not thinking orange doesn't play nice with yellow) and got some brown stuff during the switchover changes. Now it's all switched over this coolant easily makes it between timing belts without a spec of corrosion in the coolant system. Amazing stuff. Get the full strength from advance with a coupon and mix with distilled water.

Last edited:
I put dexcool in 2 cars which didn't originally have it. I flushed each system and made sure there wasn't any original antifreeze in the system. Both vehicles purchased new. The first was a 1996 explorer which went 211k miles on original waterpump before I got rid of car. Still ran fine but needed a rack and pinion so I got rid of it(figured i got my moneys worth). The second was a 2002 Maxima which currently has 142k miles and no coolant issues. I do like Dexcool..

For reference all NEW Subaru's come with 100,000 mile coolant now from factory. It's blue instead of green and is called super coolant.

Dexcool works well as long as you do radiator drain and fills every 3-4 years or 50K miles. I usually do them every 30K miles. Also, make sure you have a good operable radiator cap...

I would not use the Dexcool in a system where the overflow tank is not pressurized. Been there, done that. It plugged up my heater core. Get rid of it and flush it all out.

Last edited:
You said it well Al. DexCool does not do well in an open air system due to acid buildup.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
You said it well Al. DexCool does not do well in an open air system due to acid buildup.

NOT true... Like all coolants, Dexcool should be changed every 3-4 years and 50K miles. The 100K mile coolant flush is [censored]...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan

NOT true... Like all coolants, Dexcool should be changed every 3-4 years and 50K miles. The 100K mile coolant flush is [censored]...

I changed to dexcool at 20K miles and at 40K miles the heater core was plugged with orange goo. Seeing is believing for me.

Horse hockey! An entire fleet of dex vehicles in my driveway, and most are UN pressurized recovery tanks!

We run all of them to component failure. Our typical water pump replacement occurs at over 200k miles! We have no sludging or problems at all, that is complete baloney.

Subaru's are supposedly very finicky about their coolant. You are supposed to use the OEM Subaru Coolant and the conditioner additive. Something about being more prone to corrosion... Having said that, I use the standard green Peak/Walmart Supertech stuff and no problems. Just changed it out yesterday after three years of faithful service in my EJ22 with 176,000 miles.

My 2007 2.5l NA Outback (which I just got rid of but know the new owners so I can follow up) is running great with Peak Global lifetime and Subaru's coolant conditioner.

Plan is 3 year drain and fill regardless of miles.

ANY time I do a changeover from one type to another coolant it is VERY important to FLUSH out all the old coolant. I'm not a fan of mixing different types.

Bill

Still running dexcool, I've not had to replace the coolant for years, tests good year after year. That 5 year/150,000 mile rating seems legit. I have the original heater core with 264,000 miles.

Last edited:
You didn't get all the old coolant out. Any time I've pulled anything in the cooling system it looks brand new after running dexcool for several years.

I've use dex-cool in my durmax from day one. I just change it every 5 years and make sure to keep the mixture @ 50-50. No more or less. My truck has nearly 200k miles and is 11 yrs old and raditor is spotless!

I learned from experiance that too much anti-freeze or water either way and (air in the system) are where problems arise with dex-cool.

Just make sure to do a very very through flush. I even put dex-cool in my atv.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
I would not use the Dexcool in a system where the overflow tank is not pressurized. Been there, done that. It plugged up my heater core. Get rid of it and flush it all out.
..did this happen in a subaru (what year) or some other car manuf.??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clearanceman
You didn't get all the old coolant out. Any time I've pulled anything in the cooling system it looks brand new after running dexcool for several years.

This is critical. Most folks simply do not have the patience to get it all out, and Dex does not play well with others...

Put it in my 89 Accord in 1997. Wasn't even that meticulous about getting every bit of old coolant out. No issues noted. Car did not have pressurized recovery tank. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back