2011 Honda Insight and Toyota 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Honda Insight Hybrid that specs 0w20 and in my area it is hard to find and expensive (no gallon jugs at WM) so I am looking at around 9 per quart for Mobile 1. I can wait for Mobil 1 AFE to go on sale, but I am intrigued by the positive comments about the lightness of the Toyota 0w20 which some have said is more like a 0w15. It is SM certified. Should I be afraid of it as being too thin or use it. I can obtain it for about $5 a quart.

The current comments about the newer Honda synthetics are disappointing. Castrol Edge is available, but it is the new Titanium formulation which is not interesting to me. Are many non-Toyota car owners using Toyota 0w20?

You Walmart does not carry the 5 qt Jug of Mobil 1 0w20? I have seen it on a regular basis. I have bought quarts of Valvoline 0w 20 at walmart my truck had no issues with either oil

My guess is that not many non-Toyota owners using it, but oil is oil and doesn't know if it is in a Honda. It's still a 0W-20 oil. I picked up a bunch of Mobil Super Synthetic, a fairly new oil, at O-Reilleys a few months back on sale for 3.50/qt. Seemed like a good oil for this type of use. Everyday price is like 5.99/qt there. Costs more at AAP. For $5/qt, I would not hesitate to use the Toyota oil in your Honda, unless you can find a better deal on something comparable.

0W-20s tend to shear down a bit, just like 5W-30s often end up as thick as a new 20 weight after a while. I do like the price and the moly in the Toyota OEM. Since my last and only UOA with the Toyota oil showed cSt viscosity had dropped from close to 9 down to a little over 7 in a couple thousand miles, I been using a little Motor Honey to try to keep it on the higher end.

I also see that Castrol Edge 0W-20 is readily available around here at Advance Auto Parts and may try that when the SN "with Titanium" comes on the shelf.
I am not knocking Mobil 1, but I don't care for it much myself, and that is all I can find in quantity at Walmart. Only three quarts of Valvoline Sympower in that grade on the shelf there and they are covered with dust because no one including me wants to buy 1/2 an oil change.

Still, they may all shear to 7ish cSt....I don't know. If they do, I feel better with the extra moly of the Toyota oil.
Or else I just use 5W-20 or 5W-30 name brand synthetics.

But don't void your warranty by using the wrong weight oil...My owner's manual is a bit forgiving on weight recommendation.

My 2 cents worth.

According to American Honda's principal chemist, Jeff Jetter, the Insight comes from Japan with a 0W-10 as the FF.

Therefore the Toyota Brand SM 0W-20 being the lightest SM/SN oil you can buy should be a superior choice to any other 0W-20 including Honda's COP made OW-20.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
0W-20s tend to shear down a bit. I do like the price and the moly in the Toyota OEM. Since my last and only UOA with the Toyota oil showed cSt viscosity had dropped from close to 9 down to a little over 7 in a couple thousand miles, I been using a little Motor Honey to try to keep it on the higher end.
Still, they may all shear to 7ish cSt....I don't know. If they do, I feel better with the extra moly of the Toyota oil.
But don't void your warranty by using the wrong weight oil...My owner's manual is a bit forgiving on weight recommendation.

The Toyota Brand 0W-20 does shear by design about 10% almost immediately in service. Since it is the specified oil for your Toyota Tacoma truck there's no reason to thicken up the oil to compensate for this.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
You Walmart does not carry the 5 qt Jug of Mobil 1 0w20? I have seen it on a regular basis. I have bought quarts of Valvoline 0w 20 at walmart my truck had no issues with either oil

No. Not even a spot for it. At 2 different Super Walmarts including 1 in an upscale neighborhood that should be very hybrid friendly. Nada. Just the quarts and in Mobil 1 only. Plenty of 0w30 though.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
According to American Honda's principal chemist, Jeff Jetter, the Insight comes from Japan with a 0W-10 as the FF.

Therefore the Toyota Brand SM 0W-20 being the lightest SM/SN oil you can buy should be a superior choice to any other 0W-20 including Honda's COP made OW-20.

Thanks. Very interesting. I was thinking that the lighter oil would be a superior choice which is why I was looking at it in the first place and you have helped to cement that idea. I was originally going to use only Honda fluids, but after reading the mediocre comments about the current Honda synthetic, it seemed that the Toyota oil was closest to the original Honda oil. I think I will grab that Toyota oil while I still can.

Originally Posted By: SomeOtherBob
I have a 2011 Honda Insight Hybrid that specs 0w20 and in my area it is hard to find and expensive (no gallon jugs at WM) so I am looking at around 9 per quart for Mobile 1. I can wait for Mobil 1 AFE to go on sale, but I am intrigued by the positive comments about the lightness of the Toyota 0w20 which some have said is more like a 0w15. It is SM certified. Should I be afraid of it as being too thin or use it. I can obtain it for about $5 a quart.

The current comments about the newer Honda synthetics are disappointing. Castrol Edge is available, but it is the new Titanium formulation which is not interesting to me. Are many non-Toyota car owners using Toyota 0w20?

Consider using Amsoil many Auto Stores carry it have it shipped to your door or if you are close to Chicago pick it up at the warehouse sometimes the stress of looking for a deal and driving around for it is not worth it and you have a nice vehicle use one of the best oils.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
0W-20s tend to shear down a bit, just like 5W-30s often end up as thick as a new 20 weight after a while. I do like the price and the moly in the Toyota OEM. Since my last and only UOA with the Toyota oil showed cSt viscosity had dropped from close to 9 down to a little over 7 in a couple thousand miles, I been using a little Motor Honey to try to keep it on the higher end.

I also see that Castrol Edge 0W-20 is readily available around here at Advance Auto Parts and may try that when the SN "with Titanium" comes on the shelf.
I am not knocking Mobil 1, but I don't care for it much myself, and that is all I can find in quantity at Walmart. Only three quarts of Valvoline Sympower in that grade on the shelf there and they are covered with dust because no one including me wants to buy 1/2 an oil change.

My 2 cents worth.

besides the toyota oil that shears by design do you have any references for this or just speculation?

Originally Posted By: Rand
besides the toyota oil that shears by design do you have any references for this or just speculation?

I never said that they did it by design, CATERHAM did. But the UOAs I've seen usually show some shearing. 0W-20 weights often end up in the 7.1-7.7 range and 5W-30s in the 8-9 area.

Originally Posted By: Toto
Consider using Amsoil many Auto Stores carry it have it shipped to your door or if you are close to Chicago pick it up at the warehouse sometimes the stress of looking for a deal and driving around for it is not worth it and you have a nice vehicle use one of the best oils.

I wasn't too impressed with the specs of the Amsoil 0w-20. I am NO expert but it seemed kind of thick to me. I was looking for a lighter oil for my Honda Hybrid. The older Honda oil, the SM Castrol Edge, and the Toyota oil looked to be the lightest. Of those three, only the Toyota seems still to be readily available and it is less than half the cost of Amsoil Signature. Thank you though.

Last edited:
I refilled my mom's 2010 Insight with Valvoline 0w20 and a Purolator Pure1. It seemed to run about the same as with the Honda 0w20 and Honda filter that I took off of the engine.

I did send in an analysis on the Honda 0w20 but my parents just said it came back as normal and threw it out. UGH. I want it back! It's supposed to be posted on BITOG, dangit!

If my Toyota dealers are selling Toyota synthetic for $5/qt I would buy several cases and use it in my E430, but none around Orange County in So Cal is selling it for less than $7.99/qt. My local WM have M1 0W20 for $25.xx 5-qt jug, I got 3 jugs a week ago. I agree with CATERHAM, the best 0W20 for the money is Toyota 0W20 if you can find it at around $5/qt.

I just paid $7 a quart again today at the dealer. Still good for any synthetic, but they don't have sales.

I have a 2003 Civic hybrid. I use synthetic (whatever is on sale) 5W20. I do have a large stock pile of SOPUS brand. The speced oil is hard to find in Southern Ontario at a reasonble price. There also seems to be no effect on fuel mileage using the heavier grade.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

I did send in an analysis on the Honda 0w20 but my parents just said it came back as normal and threw it out. UGH. I want it back! It's supposed to be posted on BITOG, dangit!

Just phone the lab and ask them to send you the results in an email.

Called the local Toyota dealer today and they charge $7.20 a quart but will sell it bulk if you bring in a container for $5 a quart. Nice. Dealer in Hamburg, PA.

Good idea. I have several clean 5-qt jugs, I can use it to get bulk 0W20 if my local Toyota dealer(s) agree to sell it for $5/qt, will make few phone calls to morrow.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I have a 2003 Civic hybrid. I use synthetic (whatever is on sale) 5W20. I do have a large stock pile of SOPUS brand. The speced oil is hard to find in Southern Ontario at a reasonble price. There also seems to be no effect on fuel mileage using the heavier grade.

You can get the Idemitsu made Honda Brand 0W-20 at any Honda or Acura dealer for $5.17/L, less by the case of 12.
For your Civic Hybrid I'd recommend the lighter Toyota 0W-20 which can be had by the litre or a 5L jug for $25 at any Toyota or Lexus dealer. With this oil you should get at least a 4% improvement in fuel economy over the SOPUS 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back