Pennzoil HM 10w30- ~500mi 1988 Chevy Truck 350ci

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've owned this truck since 2001. It has a severe oil consumption issue which I've been trying to solve. 150 miles to a quart, without fail. I drive 70 miles a day on the freeway to and from work. My Eclipse broke down, so for now I am forced to drive the truck to work, school, and well, everywhere! I replaced all valve stem seals one month ago. Last compression check I did was a few years ago with good results, but I'll do another for reference soon. There are no leaks- at all. I've checked everywhere. Truck runs well and gets 18mpg, with no visible smoke. Tried several types and grades of oil with no change in consumption. Also used seafoam and kreen(not together!) in hopes of freeing a stuck oil ring. The last 4000 miles I've used Pennzoil- (yb,hm, platinum, ultra, you name it) with 20% mmo. Current fill is 10w40 Pennzoil HM w/20% mmo. Any thoughts or opinions on the uoa are welcome.

[img:center]http://www.box.net/shared/6pmc9u4xd63p526zl5o3[/img]

[img:center][/img]

Last edited:
Is PCV working OK, correct PCV valve? How bout the other half of the PCV - Is the (filtered) air inlet to valve cover clear? Next, can you see good oil drainback into the pan thru the fill hole? I would insure any PCV baffle under the valve cover is still attached. Next, how do plugs read - do they evidence poor oil control? Good luck on this.

Good: That Pennzoil HM is pretty stout!

Bad: Think your rings are shot, at least the oil control rings. If the valve stem seals didn't help, time for a rebuild, I think. You said the last compression check was a few years ago, perhaps time to repeat?

Have you tried thicker oil? I don't think 20w50 would hurt, especially in the summertime.

What about the PCV valve? Has it been replaced?

A quart every 150 miles, that's like a quart every day on your driving schedule. I would switch to the cheapest oil you can get with the latest API specifications. Like Walmart Supertech for example.

Wish you the best of luck man!

96ppm iron in 500 miles? That was Doug's condemnation point for 90,000 kilometers in a much larger sump (big rig). That's not good.... not good at all. Something definitely amiss here.

Try a thicker oil (20W50 or even diesel oil) and maybe give STP oil treatment a try. I am not one to use those types of additives but I had a Chevy 305 that was capable of burning the entire sumps capacity in one day. I was living in NYC at the time so it was not many miles at all to the quart burned. My formula was 4 qts 20W50 and 2 bottles of STP oil treatment (blue bottle)for an oil change. That kept consumption to a minimum but I also tried using RESTORE a few times when doing an oil change and it actually did a very good job of just about stopping the consumption for a few thousand miles at a time. Topped off with thick oil most of the time whatever was on sale. This was before the days of High Mileage oils. I installed an MSD 6A capacitive discharge ignition system to keep the plugs clean since it fouled them about every other day. I realized I would not have money for a new motor and that was the only way to keep it running. I also did valve seals on my motor and it was better for about a month and went back to what it did before because in my case it was the valve guides that were totally worn out. Good luck with yours and I hope you can find something that can at least extend its life for you. That was what worked for me, hope it helps.

I would try Maxlife HM 10W40 and go with a pint of Schaeffer's #132 Moly E.P. Engine Oil Treatment... Great for freeing up stuck rings and possible other issues.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would try Maxlife HM 10W40 and go with a pint of Schaeffer's #132 Moly E.P. Engine Oil Treatment... Great for freeing up stuck rings and possible other issues.

Good luck

+1 on this

Stock up on the cheapest 20W50 you can find and keep adding it, 1 quart per 150 miles is low enough where it will run.

The other option is to rebuild it.

Maybe ...just maybe,you can free -up the rings with Kano labs Kreen.Not gonna stick my neck out but the product is solid for my use...Which is keeping it from getting that way.It'll De-stick rings.

Edit:And do a ring soak.

Originally Posted By: troyb43
How about some sae 60?

no ..that would make things worse ..
he needs to thin out the oil around the ring lands to introduce fresh oil to the rings.along with solvent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back