love how the car drives after a fresh oil change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mpvue
you'll notice 'seem' is the functional word in my statement; this thread is all about feeling good w/ a clean well maintained car.

I understand that this is truly about subjective user experience but I still say it's a big placebo - you feel better about having done vehicular maintenance so you phrase the vehicle's response to your inputs in a more positive light. IMO, given a large enough sample size no one who claims that their car 'drives better' after an oil change would be able to tell if it was or not with any statistical significance - and likely would do much worse!

Originally Posted By: mpvue
OTOH, for all the people who say they 'can't tell a difference'; perhaps you've never changed the oil on a car that hadn't been changed in awhile, or had 'thinned out' (for lack of a better term) and the car got quieter and ran better afterwards?
you 'should' be able to tell the difference w/ new oil if the old oil was well past its prime.

I don't let my cars go 'too long' on an oil change that the oil wasn't doing it's job.
21.gif
I've never, ever, even once noticed a subjective (or objective) difference in the way any of my cars ever performed before/after an oil change... even when switching from a 0w30 to 5w40.

Brake fluid, PSF, MTF; absolutely a difference noticed after a change - but I interact with those fluids almost directly (and receive feedback from their systems). Engine oil? Never.

I'll say it again, if you enjoy driving your car more power to you; similarly if you feel better after having maintained your vehicle then bully for you.
cheers3.gif
But don't personify the car - it's just a pile of machinery!

If you guys can't actually feel the difference after an oil change, I suggest washing and waxing the car also at that time.
You will surely feel a nice improvement then!

But yeah... sometimes an oil change does produce a better feel.

After my very first self performed oil change on my mazda 323 I felt it was running better. I was new to town, couldn't find a mechanic, and went somewhat long, 5k miles, on "Big A" generic 5w30 oil, and it was a hot summer.

I took a change in engine noise, that may have been a very slight ping, as simply being happy.

I was also VERY smug having done my first change, with 74 cent 10w30 "Tech 2000" oil from Walmart, in 1999 before they called it "supertech", and a champ labs STP filter as recommended in the "Minimopar filter cutup" website.

If the oil I changed is fairly "new" I can't tell any difference but old well used oil I can always tell if feels smoother. It is actually more fun to change someones old black oil. Like picking a ripe zit!

should make another thread " Love how the car drives when the weather is cool " , all my car run best early in the morning and late at night lol.

There was one oil change, after a 9,100 mile run on dino in the 2.4L 'Twin-Cam' Malibu, where I think the engine did feel "smoother" with the new oil. I wish I would have done a UOA on that stuff - I think the in-town short trips were harder on the oil than I figured they would be.

And I was one to doubt the whole "new oil changes the feel" stories.. but I don't doubt my own senses. Ask my wife.. I notice things that are different waaay before her. But I'd imagine more than a few of you fellas would say the same..

I drove my wife's GTP for the first time after changing the oil this past weekend. It was butter smooth on the Castrol Edge!

Sorry, Just changed the oil on the Mountaineer and did not feel any difference. The old oil was 5000 miles and left little bits of sludgey crud in the filter folds. Same oil though, 2005 vintage Maxlife Full Synthetic going out and coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back