General Altimax Arctic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Compared to the Nokian Hakka RSi... in the snow it was transparent. When it is not snowing... the Generals were extremely squirmy. The Nokians, despite the heavy siping, weren't really squirmy.

What size were you running?

does it really matter? In case it does... 205/55r16 on the Nokians. 205/50r17 on the Generals.

So... with a bigger sidewall on the Nokians plus they are Low Rolling Resistance..... they are more stable. the lateral stability is actually something they advertise on their 2010 or 2011 winter tire infomercial posted on youtube.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Being in North 'Jersey, the Hakkapelitta R (replacement of the RSi) is probably more winter tire than you really need. Unless you're driving inland to go skiing or something, the Nokian WR G2 or any of the Performance Winter tires on the market would probably suit your needs better than a full-on winter tire that's not so great on just wet or dry pavement.

We don't drive inland to go skiing as conditions in the Poconos aren't really much better. If we want better skiing conditions, we drive northeast. And we already have some skiing areas left in North Jersey (more like hills, not mountains).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Being in North 'Jersey, the Hakkapelitta R (replacement of the RSi) is probably more winter tire than you really need. Unless you're driving inland to go skiing or something, the Nokian WR G2 or any of the Performance Winter tires on the market would probably suit your needs better than a full-on winter tire that's not so great on just wet or dry pavement.

I would agree with you IF I were driving an AWD/FWD low powered/low numerically gear ratioed car.

THIS car needs MUCH MORE traction (370+ hp/torque to the wheels, 3.73 axle ratio, 54/46 weight ditribution) to go up a snowy/icy incline than the high performance, H rated winter rubber could ever possibly muster, EVEN brand new.
How do I know this, you ask? My current winter setup is Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2s on the stock snowflake alloys.

Like you've stated; GREAT on cold, dry pavement, all but useless on snowy/icy inclines.

That being said, I would be willing to try the WR G2s over the Rs IF I could be money back guaranteed in writing that they have MORE bite than the BEST OF the rest of the H rated hi-po winter donuts out there.
smile.gif

So, you're the one fishtailing on I-287 last year in the christmas snowstorm???? I remember having to dodge one during the snow storm on I-287 north around Basking Ridge. Driving uphill in the snow is better for a RWD car, as the weight is shifted to the drive wheels going up a hill.

and.. I was running Hankook Icebear W300 last winter (and soon to be this winter)...because my budget last year for new snows couldn't afford Nokians and I didn't want the too squirmy Generals again....and I wanted some grip when it wasn't snowing...

I know there are alot of people that don't care to read CR Mag but, all tires being 215-60-16, they rated the General Altimax Arctic, $75 2nd to the Michelin X-ice Xl2, $106 with the Michelin only being better in the Ride, Noise, Rolling Resistance catigories. And the Mich was only better by a smidgen in Ice Braking. You would have to read the full report. IMHO, the General's would be my pick.

1)Michelin X-ice Xl2 "T".........Score-84...Price-$106
2)General Altimax Arctic "Q"...Score-78...Price-$75
3)Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 "T"...Score-78...Price-$164

Last edited:
Any other Testimonials with Front Wheel Drive Vehicles equipped with General Altimax Artic's

Thanks Guys

Best winter tires I've ever personally purchased.
Had them on my 1996 SL2 for 2 years (no longer have car) and I had Blizzak WS-70's on my SW2 (no longer have car) hands down the better tire was the Altimax. Dry road composure is way beyond any other winter tire I've ever driven on. They are great, just get a set. You will not regret it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Compared to the Nokian Hakka RSi... in the snow it was transparent. When it is not snowing... the Generals were extremely squirmy. The Nokians, despite the heavy siping, weren't really squirmy.

What size were you running?

does it really matter? In case it does... 205/55r16 on the Nokians. 205/50r17 on the Generals.

It does matter because squirminess is somewhat related to sidewall height as well as speed rating, among other things. It sounds like the Nokians are much better in that category.

I have the Arctics in size 215/60/16 (Q-rated), and I think they handle dry weather conditions fairly well. Obviously not as stable as summer or all-season tires with a higher speed index rating, but I'm sure there are other winter tires out there that are less squirmy.

I have these for my Corolla, and bang for the buck they are the best winter tires out there, and I have owned more than a few from super cheap Kelly tires to higher end Blizzaks.

$ to $ ....General's Altimax Arctics are top notch.

I loved the set on my Buick this past winter. They let me get through anything I encountered. I had some complaints, but pretty any snow tire would too. Will definitely purchase again since they were the best bang for the buck.

how many seasons can i expect to get out of them? yes i know driving habits and conditions are a factor, just looking for a rough estimate.

I've got two winter seasons and about 7K miles on mine so far and they still have a ton of tread left. In my case, it'll be age rather than tread depth that will be the deciding factor. In my experience, after about 4 years, the soft winter rubber hardens to the point where the snow traction isn't as good anymore.

So, you're the one fishtailing on I-287 last year in the christmas snowstorm???? I remember having to dodge one during the snow storm on I-287 north around Basking Ridge. Driving uphill in the snow is better for a RWD car, as the weight is shifted to the drive wheels going up a hill.

Nope, I was NOT out in that one, at least not on 287 (and I'm generally slightly north and east of there most of the time).
smile.gif

And yes, logic and physics would seem to dictate that the weight transfer would help a RWD car, BUT this is assuming some kind of initial 'bite' (traction to initiate said weight transfer) to begin with, AND a 50/50 weight distribution (or more to the rear) as well.
wink.gif

(200-300 lbs. of Speedy Dry in the hatch only helps so much going uphill.
frown.gif
)

I have these for my van, got them last fall just before winter. Previous winter tires I've used are: Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50, Kumho KW-11 I'Zen (without the studs), Canadian Tire's Nordic IceTrac (made by the Michelin group, and was based on their Kleber KrisAlp winter tire, a Euro market only tire). I've also used the BF Goodrich Winter Slalom (original design) on a winter road trip on my dad's van.

Of these tires, ranked in order of best to worst when it comes to overal snow/ice performance in my opinion:

- General Altimax Arctic
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (now obsolete)
- Nordic IceTrac (now obsolete)
- Kumho KW-11 I'Zen (now obsolete)
- BF Goodrich Winter Slalom (now obsolete - thankfully!)

I'd say the Generals were quite a bit better than the Blizzaks, and going down the list, seemed to be proportionately declining in performance until the last one, which really didn't seem any better than an all season, except if it was only snow, I guess like one of the old-school snow tires from yester-year.

Has anyone ran the new Bfgoodrich Winter slalom ksi? Is this a club store tire exclusive like sams or walmart or can anyone get them? I'm considering these instead of Michelin XI2's because they are $25 cheaper a tire. I DO NOT want a studdable snow tire and do not want Blizzaks either. Also Hakka Rs are too expensive too. So basically would the Bf be good option instead of the michelin? I know its a little early to think snow tires but I like to do my research a head of time. These tires would be for a 2002 Taurus with P215/60R16 tires.

UPDATE! i just ordered a set of Yokohama ICE GUARD IG20's 215/55/17's for 528 free shipping from discount tire direct. better siping then the altimax's

Comparing apples and oranges

One is studless other studdable

I have the ig20's the continential extreme winter contact are better in every way but the ig20's are good also

yes i should of said the ig20's are studless but from what i have been hearing they are quite the winter tire.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Comparing apples and oranges

One is studless other studdable

I have the ig20's the continential extreme winter contact are better in every way but the ig20's are good also

What do you think of the IG20's has anyone used them? i was told by a contact at DTD that they have more siping then the altimax artics, so i said why not. for 528$ pretty good deal. Great reviews on many websites, no they not hakkapalita's or gislave's and i understand that but for im using them for i dont need studs. ANY positive things to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back