Grease Expedition axle behind front wheel bearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed on my 4x4 front axle that there is a grease seal pressed in the steering knuckle behind the front wheel bearing that the axle fits into. There was a little grease in there when I removed the axle and bearing. Is this area supposed to be greased around the area between the steering knuckle and the axle, or is that seal just a dust cap? If greased, how much...fill the space between the wall of the axle and the wall of the steering knuckle?

What you are looking at is the hub/axle seal. This seal is to keep water from entering the hub and splines and keep the grease that is on the splines at assembly from leaking out.
This helps keep rust from turning the thing into a solid unit.

Grease the splines up with a water resistant grease like Mobil 1 red when assembling.

Edit: No maintenance is required on this part.

Last edited:
Thanks Trav,
So do I pack the area to the wheel side of the grease seal in the void between the hub and the axle, or is that a dry unlubricated area?

Great, thanks!
Clutch fan? I am assuming you mean fan clutch?
No, I didn't. What is the proceedure to check that?
I sort of ruled it out, since the sound was synchronized with the rotation of the tires.
I have narrowed it down to a bad wheel bearing (dry). There was a fair amount of grease in the hub. I was assuming it leaked out from the bearing hub.
I hate that I had to buy a cheap replacement bearing, but it was the only one in stock locally, and also have money issues.
It will help me diagnose if that is the problem, and at least get me mobile for now.
It's an NTP. Should I be concerned about the performance of this?

Just grab the cooling fan blades and check for play, it should turn freely with slight resistance.
I had a similar noise years ago and because they free wheel the noise didn't stay in sync with engine rpm, the blades just hit the fan shroud when giving or letting off the gas.
When you said it sounded like fan blades hitting plastic this fan clutch was the first thing that came into my mind.

I have no experience with NTP. SKF, Timken, National, F.A.G and a few others seem to be preferred. The NTP maybe okay i don't know.
Next time try Rock auto if you can wait a few days.

Edit: Did you try holding the brake and giving it gas in drive to see if it made the noise?

Last edited:
What bearing do you like?
I will check the fan blade. When the noise started, that was exactly what it sounded like. A fan blade rubbing against a plastic shroud. Then it became a little more defined as grinding from the front wheel.
Maybe I have more than 1 issue. I will definately check.
Thanks

Yes sure there could be more than one issue but it sounds like you got the problem figured out. Check it anyway for peace of mind.
OEM is the best but too darn expensive most of the time. Personally for aftermarket i really like SKF my second choice would be Timken then National.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back