1995 Honda Accord Mobil 1 syn or new Honda fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
215,000 miles, bought new it has never had anything but the old Honda fluid. My father was going to trade it in five years ago and I bought it from him instead. At that time, there was a lot of metal paste on the transmission drain plug. He was having the dealer change the ATF fluid every 30,000 miles.

Because it is so easy to change the transmission fluid, I started changing it every oil change. Really, less than 2.5 quarts are coming out each time. I'm also getting some metal paste even after 4000 miles but not much.

Now we come to the end of the old Honda fluid. It's all the car has ever had, but I'm not that impressed because of the amount of metal paste. Thinking of moving to the new Honda fluid but I also have a 2000 legacy that has had mobil 1 transmission fluid since the first 20,000 miles. I change it every 25,000 to 30,000 and it has 214,000 and no ATF problems.

I live in the mountains and the local Sube shop (independent) says it's the most they have seen here without a rebuild. Specs are better for Mobil 1 than new honda fluid. Thinking of just using Mobil1 for the accord, after coupon, it's only about $6 per quart at advance.

Advice? Thanks!

Last edited:
Between those 2 fluids, I would go with the DW-1. You can also check around online as there are several dealerships that will ship fluids.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Between those 2 fluids, I would go with the DW-1. You can also check around online as there are several dealerships that will ship fluids.

Can you tell me why? The Mobil 1 has better specs in every area.

5th/6th gen Honda Auto trannies are about as reliable as a meth head with a bank job. I'd recommend a 5speed swap if you have the moolah. They aren't too much. Good luck with your slushbox.

Originally Posted By: honda1371
5th/6th gen Honda Auto trannies are about as reliable as a meth head with a bank job. I'd recommend a 5speed swap if you have the moolah. They aren't too much. Good luck with your slushbox.

Hmmm, 215,000 so far with no repairs is not too bad IMO. It's not slipping. It's a commuter car and my wife mostly drives it and she absolutely refuses to learn to drive a standard shift.

Specs are better with M1? I didn't know ATF manufactures listed the frictional charistics of ATF. IF M1 states it MEETS the Honda spec then go for it. If M1 doesn't say it meets the Honda spec, or is only suitable, then continue with the Honda fluid. Ed

Quote:
lol.gif
Come asking about two different ATF's and get advise for a manual tranny swap. Gotta love it.

Sounds like your leaning to the M1, should be fine in that tranny, I wouldn't pay more for DW-1 in that vehicle.

That said, I'm going to Maxlife next time (if no Z-1 available) in an 01 Civic that's seen only Z-1 since new.

If you already have achieved 215k, why changed from a proven winner? Stick w/ Honda ATF and don't just rely on specs. The price difference for 3 quarts every 4k miles is not that much, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back