Wal Mart price match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a great experience here at my local Walmart. I cut out an ad for a $12.95 oil change a local stealership was running and took it to the Tire and Lube express. They matched it no questions asked. They used their bulk oil 5w30 Quaker State and their standrd Fram Extra Guard filter. In and out in 30 minutes. I'd still be sitting in the dealers holding pen had I gone there.Normal price; $31.88.

A little secret. Wal mart will match any price you give them as long as it is within $5 of their price with no proof. My friends 88 year old father makes up prices all the time.
They just match it.

Originally Posted By: chad8
A little secret. Wal mart will match any price you give them as long as it is within $5 of their price with no proof. My friends 88 year old father makes up prices all the time.
They just match it.

How does he do that? Does he do that at the checkout stand or at the service desk after he buys the item?

My father just did the same. Local jiffy lube has a 11.99 coupon. He showed up, handed it to them and was in/out within 30mins.

They will also price-match at the register. Just tell them what the price is at xyz and they will match. I'd suggest that you be honest thou, its a karma thing.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Had a great experience here at my local Walmart. I cut out an ad for a $12.95 oil change a local stealership was running and took it to the Tire and Lube express. They matched it no questions asked. They used their bulk oil 5w30 Quaker State and their standrd Fram Extra Guard filter. In and out in 30 minutes. I'd still be sitting in the dealers holding pen had I gone there.Normal price; $31.88.

Only bad thing: FRAM OCOD!

Originally Posted By: chad8
They just match it.
hmm, that's a new one to me. Last I checked, the policy stated you had to have a "print ad" in hand to price match it.

Yep, they will price match oil change coupons, but usually they price match it to the lowest priced special, which, at this point in time is their Quaker State Jeff Gordon Special, which does not include any topping off of fluids, last I checked that special includes air up your tires, and probably try and sell you a new air filter, wiper blades, and a battery
smile.gif

IMHO, it's a good thing they are doing this.....BUT, I fear it's just going to raise prices elsewhere in the store...Walmart is already the cheapest place around (at least in my town....); sure the quality may not be the best; but the next best place for books, electronics, and other assorted "stationery" accessories is a 30-45 minute drive.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
I'm sure if you paid the difference (or [censored], carried in your own....) they would install one of the Champ Labs "SuperTech" filters, or the XG, or TG filters....but like I said, they'd likely make you foot the difference; I think they figure the average cost of a spin-on filter as 2.69, so if you'd just pay the difference.

Can't recall, it's been a while since I "carried in" my own filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dubie2003
I'd suggest that you be honest thou, its a karma thing.

You got that right!! I've been on the wrong side of karma before and it's not fun.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
i work at walmart, they tell us to match whatever, even if it's word of mouth.

I can certainly understand that policy. Arguing with some dodo for fifteen minutes who insists on fifty cents off the marked price is certainly not worth the hassle. The sad thing is that some people think they've pulled off either some major league scam or struck a blow for the little people when they succeed.

I think there's a reason that customer service lines are so terribly slow. It discourages impatient people like myself from bothers with such trivialities.
wink.gif

I saw in a new Wally 'match it' tv advertisement that a word of mouth price was matched at check out. That said, when I'm buying multiple quarts of oil, I feel more confident having a store circular in hand to eliminate any question regarding the price. Can't hurt.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987

What's the issue? Because it's a Fram orange can it will not work?

It's the Fram paranoia on this board that is striking again. I've used them off and on for 20 years with no issues.

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
I'd suggest that you be honest thou, its a karma thing.

Its more than that its (to me) a sign of zero integrity. Small thing but important (to me)

I'd pay twice as much, and go across the street, than to give a dime to the Peoples Republic of Walmart.

I would change the [censored] oil myself since I value my cars, dont need some clueless monkey stripping my pan or putting some bulk oil in.

Plus I will be [censored] to waste a 1/2 hr of my time driving over/back, wait another half hr for them to do it(if your lucky) when I can change oil in 10 minutes and enjoy a beer for 9 of the 10 minutes.

I dont always go to wal mart to get my quaker state oil, heck I just got 6 qts of QSGB at local hardwarde store in 5w20 for $1.99 a qt! I like how lately the one friend of mine that works at advance gave me a bunch of Mobil Clean high mileage 10w30 SL rated and 3 qts of the same oil in 10w40 SL rated for $2.99 a qt. Now this advance auto just has mobil super and mobil 1.

adam

Originally Posted By: VNTS
I would change the [censored] oil myself since I value my cars, dont need some clueless monkey stripping my pan or putting some bulk oil in.

Plus I will be [censored] to waste a 1/2 hr of my time driving over/back, wait another half hr for them to do it(if your lucky) when I can change oil in 10 minutes and enjoy a beer for 9 of the 10 minutes.

What do you suggest if someone live in a state when you don't know anyone, and live in an apartmetn which doesn't allow oil changes, having a security guard walking around the complex. This is the issue I have a few years back. What you're saying you have to do it to value your cars? I guess I don't since I have no choice but to have someone do it?

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex

What do you suggest if someone live in a state when you don't know anyone, and live in an apartmetn which doesn't allow oil changes, having a security guard walking around the complex. This is the issue I have a few years back. What you're saying you have to do it to value your cars? I guess I don't since I have no choice but to have someone do it?

Also time availability, weather conditions and physical limitations can restrict the ability to change your own oil when needed. I hate to have some one else change my oil but sometimes it's neccessary.

Whimsey

i've worked in tire and lube before..so i'm clueless as to how to change oil? hmm...i've been doing it since my gramps showed me how to when i was 5 years old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
i work at walmart, they tell us to match whatever, even if it's word of mouth.

I can certainly understand that policy. Arguing with some dodo for fifteen minutes who insists on fifty cents off the marked price is certainly not worth the hassle. The sad thing is that some people think they've pulled off either some major league scam or struck a blow for the little people when they succeed.

I think there's a reason that customer service lines are so terribly slow. It discourages impatient people like myself from bothers with such trivialities.
wink.gif

lol, nice. I see where you are coming from anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back