My new GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little late but nice bike. I have owned GTs since I was young in 99 i got a backwoods. in 00 Gt went box store (think old school mongoose, compared with now) and cheapened everything. Earlier this year I got my wife an Avalanche 3.0 and was pleasently suprised with the fact that the quality seemed to come back to close to what they were pre 00.

You want the tread facing "backwards" on the rear tire to increase traction on loose surfaces.

On a 4-wheeled road-going vehicle, a chevron tread pattern faces forward for only one reason: water evacuation. If it were to be installed backwards (as it is on many vehicles I see, probably unknowingly), the water evacuation function largely ceases to exist, and chances of aquaplaning are much higher.

On a bicycle, there is no water evacuation functionality. It probably matters little in which direction the front tire rotates. I'm 90% certain the chevrons are facing forward simply for aesthetics. However, on the rear, you'd want the chevrons facing rearward for only one reason: in dirt and loose gravel situations, a "backwards" chevron acts as a scoop which traps material in the pattern and generates better forward traction.

For this reason, you'll sometimes see guys running a tire like a Mickey Thompson Baja Claw "backwards" on their trail rigs. It helps in extreme traction, and there is little detriment otherwise as water evacuation on the road isn't a priority for them.

129_0806_5263_z+top_truck_challenge_2008+frame_twister.jpg

DSC_4296.jpg

BTW, OP, nice bike! I love the reflective stripes on the tires. I love hybrid/commuter bikes, and would like to get one of my own some day. Until then, I continue on my modified-for-the-road older 26" MTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back