Fan clutch...which brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIA. I have to replace the fan clutch on my 2003 yukon. It has the 5.3 and the tow package. My local options are car quest for around $70 and brand is unknown according to them. Pep boys for $56 and is Hayden. Advanced auto which is Imperial for $56 which I believe is the same as Hayden. Or Napa which is naps own Temp brand for around $60. With the research ive done for Temp brand the best guess I have come up with is that its made by 4 seasons. And I can get a discount if my friend buys it from napa. Not sure how much of a discount but I can get one. One thing that concerns me is advanced auto and pep boys are the only ones to ask about the tow package and they list a different part number for it with and without the tow pkg, while the others list the same part #. Does it even really matter? I do not tow anything at this time. TIA.

I would say do not use an aftermarket fan clutch. I bought one last year for my truck, it was the TorqFlo from Auto Zone. I had a lot of problems with it being too agressive and engaging too often in hot weather and if I sat at a red light or drive thru window for more than 30 seconds. I bought a used OEM clutch at the junk yard, it did fine until this month. I did an online search and there are a lot of people with complaints about aftermarket fan clutches, and the brand/manufacturer does not seem to matter. They are all very noisy and stay engaged too long and too often, and that robs horsepower and gas mileage.

I would say the best way to go is OEM. There are a few parts that sometimes you have to buy at the dealer or an online OEM parts seller. I have had no trouble at all with my OEM Mopar fan clutch. Since your truck is a GM, you could probably find a good price online, rather than at the dealer itself, but it might be good to get the local GM dealer's price first for reference.

The parts stores are asking about towing because the tow package option probably includes a heavy duty fan clutch. The GM dealer should be able to use your VIN to find out which fan clutch you need.

If you care to read it I have a long-winded post about my fan clutch problem here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...876#Post2340876

OEM will be the best bet for replacing your fan clutch. Just my 2 cents on it.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
OEM will be the best bet for replacing your fan clutch. Just my 2 cents on it.

Quite right. However, I have had good luck with 4 Seasons and Hayden clutches. If I recall correctly, Hayden supplies a lot of OEM fan clutches.

The Napa Temp clutch that is made by Four Seasons was the only one that even closely resembled my original fan clutch. Even so, I just bit the bullet and bought a Mopar fan clutch because of all the trouble I had with that other aftermarket clutch, and also because of the problems that I read about aftermaket clutches online. I have learned that sometimes there are parts that you just have to use OEM. This was one of those parts. To Mopar's credit, even though the Mopar fan clutch was expensive, it works great.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
To Mopar's credit, even though the Mopar fan clutch was expensive, it works great.

Agreed. I had a thread somewhere here about my troubles finding a clutch for my 1984 F-150 with the 300. Unfortunately, the dealer couldn't get me anything. Hayden and Four Seasons were the only ones that were right. Other manufacturers specified the wrong part, with the wrong turning threads. Hayden and Four Seasons properly had both choices available. Now, I've got one fan clutch installed, and one spare on the shelf. Two working ones are better than none, I suppose.
wink.gif

I just replaced my OEM with a Hayden from www.autosheperd.com. It is a bit more aggressive in the morning then my factory Mopar was but no other odd behaviors. Keeps my truck alot cooler then the factory one did though, which is more important to me having the 4.7 liter then any extra noise it may make.

Well thanks everybody. I ended up with a Hayden (made in USA!!) it does seem more aggressive than the stock but I do not think thats a bad thing on this engine since it was always hot enough to heat up my garage after a drive. Seems much cooler now. The stock unit was at least 3 x the weight of the new one. not sure if thats a sign of strength but we will see.

In the 2 years I have owned this truck I have never heard the fan. Even when it was on. I tried to stop it with a newpaper and it just kept going. It would spin but with resistance. My truck began idling warmer and warmer and this was the last suspect in the chain so I replaced it. The old one that came off would turn with resistance by hand only a few turns then it would spin. I know OEM is better for some things, but for others I go with a different brand to get as far away from OEM as possible. This is one of them.

I have a torqflo fan clutch on my 98 K3500 with the 7.4L and it roars quite a bit but it doesn't bother me. I think it's an extreme duty one or something like that. A GM tech recommended the Torqflo if I wasn't going to use an OEM one. I know mine keeps my temps down and my AC works great.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back