Purolator classic OCI question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some Purolator Classic oil filters and Mobil 1 5-30 for my new Chevy Silverado 5.3. After i got home i went on Purolators website and saw that they recommend changing the filter at 3,000 miles. Can i go longer?

Most certainly. I take Quaker State's out to 9,000 - some people even longer; QS's are Purolator classic clones with slightly less efficient media. The classic's will do just fine going longer than 3k.

Very true! I know people who use these Classic filters with full synthetic, EP, motor oils because they have great oil flow and filtering. Any motor oil filter manufacturer will CYA and also try to get to change the filter often. That's how to make money. These Purolator Classic filters are....IMO...a great bang for the buck. I run mine with a filter-Mag and have not had any problems with the Classic filters.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Most certainly. I take Quaker State's out to 9,000 - some people even longer; QS's are Purolator classic clones with slightly less efficient media. The classic's will do just fine going longer than 3k.

Originally Posted By: kgpcr
I bought some Purolator Classic oil filters and Mobil 1 5-30 for my new Chevy Silverado 5.3. After i got home i went on Purolators website and saw that they recommend changing the filter at 3,000 miles. Can i go longer?

It will be fine, when changing your oil by the oil life monitor.

Originally Posted By: kgpcr

IMO....the Puro Classic is good filter up to a 5K to 6K.

Using M1 5w30 (which can do 10K OCI's)......I would move to the Puro PureOne....if you planned OCI is 7,500 or so.

Why only a 5 to 6k run? I disagree.. Classics or clones will go the distance. These filters are not breaking down at that point, nor fully loaded; unless we're talking over a year's worth of 1-2 mile trips.

Virtuoso, imo, i believe that most applications shouldn't go beyond 5k miles because, the media gets loaded and becomes brittle and the anti drain back valve may get stiff.

It's nice to use the head room when needed, but changing out within a certain margin of 'perceived' limits is a safe route 'most' go with. That said, the safe limits of a Classic are still up for discussion and debate. It depends on the application(especially conditions of the engine as well), there is no general factoid, black/white statement.

I totally agree with Virtuoso. If you have a clean engine....highway miles with long distance trips included....no worries. However, if we're talking about a less than well maintained engine....with a majority of short trips and traffic jams....the sooner the better. That goes for synthetic oils as well as Dino oils. I would not run a Purolator classic beyond 1 year in any engine, even in a well maintained engine with a filtermag.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Why only a 5 to 6k run? I disagree.. Classics or clones will go the distance. These filters are not breaking down at that point, nor fully loaded; unless we're talking over a year's worth of 1-2 mile trips.

Originally Posted By: Knox
Virtuoso, imo, i believe that most applications shouldn't go beyond 5k miles because, the media gets loaded and becomes brittle and the anti drain back valve may get stiff.

have you EVER seen an AC Delco filter? The majority are ecores. GM recommends AC DELCO filters... and if they are an ECORE... that says something right there. My last car could do about 8000-10000 miles per oil change, as per the computer... so that means, even on an ecore, I could do 10,000 miles. Since a Purolator Classic is of a higher quality, it should have NO PROBLEM doing 10,000 miles (depending on the application and oil life monitoring)

Originally Posted By: kemo
Originally Posted By: Knox

have you EVER seen an AC Delco filter? The majority are ecores. GM recommends AC DELCO filters... and if they are an ECORE... that says something right there. My last car could do about 8000-10000 miles per oil change, as per the computer... so that means, even on an ecore, I could do 10,000 miles. Since a Purolator Classic is of a higher quality, it should have NO PROBLEM doing 10,000 miles (depending on the application and oil life monitoring)

I didn't think any one would take offence to my opinion. Of course your welcome to your own opinion based on your experience. The question was about purolator classic filters in general.

Yes a purolator filter can last for an entire oem oil change interval, i never said otherwise, i just stated my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I wouldn't go beyond 5000 miles with the Classic. Any more than that use a Pure One.

PureONE filters are designed for better filtration, not longer OCIs.

Pureones are not marketed as long drain filters unlike Mobil EP, Bosch, K & N, etc. Surely it would go 5,000 miles but I definitely wouldn't push it to 10,000, even with the better P1.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Pureones are not marketed as long drain filters unlike Mobil EP, Bosch, K & N, etc. Surely it would go 5,000 miles but I definitely wouldn't push it to 10,000, even with the better P1.

Agree....IMO...PureOne's are good up to 8K.....If you plan on longer OCI's...go to a Mobil 1, Bosch DP or K&N.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: Warstud
I wouldn't go beyond 5000 miles with the Classic. Any more than that use a Pure One.

PureONE filters are designed for better filtration, not longer OCIs.

Bingo! I agree, even though they are fine for 10K oci's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back