My Tire Hyper-Inflation Story... What's Yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
Please let's keep our lexicon restricted to the 300 most commonly used words.

Thanks Volvo_ST1

That will help me more than you know.

Jim

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf

Thanks Volvo_ST1

That will help me more than you know.

Jim

Well, you do need all the help you can get.

Ironic that 300 words is the approximate vocabulary of a two to three year old, and that "lexicon" would not be among them...
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14

Ironic that 300 words is the approximate vocabulary of a two to three year old, and that "lexicon" would not be among them...
crackmeup2.gif

Nor would the word Ironic...

Less he's some smart kid.

Yee Haw, Jim

Fellers,

I have already stated that my cold inflation pressure was in-between 35 psi and 51 psi.

Here is what Capri Racer does say about sidewall stamped pressures on his web site...

http://www.barrystiretech.com/loadtables.html

Quoted from Capri Racer's own webpage, It states that:
Originally Posted By: Capri Racer/Barry's Tire Tech web page
I want to draw your attention to note #3 and the table that follows:

This note means that in spite of the load curve ending at 35 (or 41 for XL) psi, it is permissible to stamp the sidewall of the tire as having a maximum inflation of 35 psi, or 44 psi or 51 psi. (41 or 50 psi for XL).

If you were to dig to find the US regulation that covers what is supposed to be stamped on the sidewall of the tire (In this yearbook, it is FMVSS109, but this was superseded by FMVSS139 in 2007, but this part reads the same for both), the regulation is unclear which of those values it is supposed to be.

Most everyone in the tire industry reads the regulation that either 44 psi or 51 psi is the proper value for SL tires. However, a few tire manufacturers - notably the Michelin group (Michelin, Uniroyal, and Goodrich) have interpreted this differently and read the regulation to mean that for S and T speed rated tires, 35 psi should be stamped on the sidewall, while H and higher are supposed to read 44 or 51 psi.

That means for otherwise comparable tires, you will find different maximum pressures stamped on the sidewall. This means you SHOULD NOT use the pressure stamped on the sidewall as any sort of reference point, except, of course, what it says - a maximum.
and there are a couple exceptions to that!!

Let me further narrow down my tuned psi on my vehicle, for you guys...

I am over 40psi, and under 50psi.

So what think ye?

Thanks, Jim

There is a reason why you find the handling sloppy for this michelin and why they have lt variants, imo the sidewall just not designed to handle the load at high speed. Even though overinflation seems a quick fix to wrong choice of tyre for the car, it is not safe to do so for long term.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
There is a reason why you find the handling sloppy for this michelin and why they have lt variants, imo the sidewall just not designed to handle the load at high speed. Even though overinflation seems a quick fix to wrong choice of tyre for the car, it is not safe to do so for long term.

Go back and read post #2287838, on page 8...

Where I said: Last Point... I love the Tire, Michelin LTX MS P215/70R16, Love the ride, Love the fact that now that I have it dialed in, It will last me well over 75,000 miles.

Perhaps you missed that post?

Hope this helps, Jim

PS I have some folding money that says that...

This tire will last me more than 75,000 miles.
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I dont miss the paragraph mentioning why michelin choose 35 psi for S-rated and 44psi for H-rated

And... Not sure I follow what your trying to say???

OverinFlate that michelin is not safe for the long term, because out of spec. 41 psi on old nokian, it is ok because it is within spec

Please, Help me Help you...

The max tire inflation pressures of 35, 44, and 51 psi are subjective. The 35 psi stamped on the Michelin tire, has already been stated that it is not a max inflation of the tire stamp. So, Having said that. What part of it don't you understand?

Jim

PS Have a look at, Read the whole of the information at:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/

Your link mentioned:
The information published here is the best information I have available. Like a great many things, it is not absolute.

This info on that site is also wrong:
I should point out that Extra Load tires (commonly abbreviated "XL") have the same load carrying capacity as SL tires at the same pressure.
XL typically have lower load carrying at the same pressure compared to SL, but the tyre can be inflated higher than SL to be able to carry higher load than SL

Even though he also mention:
However, a few tire manufacturers - notably the Michelin group (Michelin, Uniroyal, and Goodrich) have interpreted this differently and read the regulation to mean that for S and T speed rated tires, 35 psi should be stamped on the sidewall, while H and higher are supposed to read 44 or 51 psi.

That means for otherwise comparable tires, you will find different maximum pressures stamped on the sidewall. This means you SHOULD NOT use the pressure stamped on the sidewall as any sort of reference point, except, of course, what it says - a maximum

Your link mentioned:
The information published here is the best information I have available. Like a great many things, it is not absolute.

This info on that site is also wrong:
I should point out that Extra Load tires (commonly abbreviated "XL") have the same load carrying capacity as SL tires at the same pressure.
XL typically have lower load carrying at the same pressure compared to SL, but the tyre can be inflated higher than SL to be able to carry higher load than SL

Even though he also mention:
However, a few tire manufacturers - notably the Michelin group (Michelin, Uniroyal, and Goodrich) have interpreted this differently and read the regulation to mean that for S and T speed rated tires, 35 psi should be stamped on the sidewall, while H and higher are supposed to read 44 or 51 psi.

That means for otherwise comparable tires, you will find different maximum pressures stamped on the sidewall. This means you SHOULD NOT use the pressure stamped on the sidewall as any sort of reference point, except, of course, what it says - a maximum

Hey, Let's just agree to disagree then, O.K.

Thanks, Jim

Well Fellers,

I performed my first 5,000 mile maintenance rotation this morning on my Hyper-Inflated Tires.

No abnormal tire wear was detected by my "Seat O Pants" Eyeballs or Hands.

See Y'all in another 5,000.

Jim

I run the door placard pressures. My car rides better and I prefer comfort over mpg.

Originally Posted By: dsr70
There is a hefty margin in max inflation pressure ratings. Immediately post the Firestone-Explorer blowout rollover case in the '90s, max inflation pressures were bumped up 10% on a wide range of Michelin truck tires. I remember getting a set with a now 110 psi max and was incredulous, as the max was 100 psi just a few weeks before. Research and confirmation from my shops owner revealed the truth.

Bottom line: max pressure limits are conservative. We are long past the era when engineering decided the spec'd limits on physical items in our society. Now it is overwhelmingly the legal dept that decides. Very sad not to be able to trust the specs.

often times the marketing dept. I refuse to believe that a conservative Honda engineer would spec 90,000 miles for the ATF fluid. That sounds totally asinine, like something that would come from the marketing dept.

We can say that our ATF is lifetime of the vehicle! No Maintenance required! I can just see some marketing bozo telling the CEO, and we get a side benefit, that's after the warranty period, we can sell them a new transmission! A win/win for us and the dealers!

fiddler

Originally Posted By: fiddler2068
often times the marketing dept. I refuse to believe that a conservative Honda engineer would spec 90,000 miles for the ATF fluid. That sounds totally asinine, like something that would come from the marketing dept.

We can say that our ATF is lifetime of the vehicle! No Maintenance required! I can just see some marketing bozo telling the CEO, and we get a side benefit, that's after the warranty period, we can sell them a new transmission! A win/win for us and the dealers!

fiddler

Let's assume for the moment that everyone agrees that 50K is a conservative figure for ATF replacement. If I were that Honda engineer, I would know that doubling the amount of fliud in the system ought to double the life (100K). But the tranny designers are also at work. They work to fix the things that go wrong at lower mileages. Plus, the ATF manufacturers are also working to improve ATF.

Add a filter (or filter improvements) to the mix, and the change interval would change again.

Bottomline: It's not much of a stretch to imagine the change interval quadrupling in a few years time.

Based on my experience dealing with the Service Departments at car dealerships, they would lobby strong and hard that the periodic fluid changes are moneymakers, consumer friendly, and have a whole slew of side benefits that aren't obvious to the marketing department - AND - arguing with a consumer about a failed transmission is really high on their list of things they want to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back