Mixing Honda DW-1 ATF with Honda Z-1 ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard Honda say this is okay, but wondering if anybody has Anybody have real world experience with it?

Notice any difference?

Problems?

Did you just do a regular drain and fill?

or a 3x drain and fill ( to theoretically change all of the fluid)?

I performed a 2x drain and fill on my 92 accord using DW1 a few weeks ago, and haven't noticed any significant changes in transmission performance. I can't be certain what fluid was in there before, as I bought the vehicle used in July/10, but it definitely wasn't DW1, as it wasn't released until after I bought the car.

My Honda dealership said Honda recommends doing the drain and fill method. I have done that once so far. Not sure I notice any difference in shifting.

This may help guys.....

http://www.worldpac.com/tagged/HONDA_DW-1_ATF_08200-9008_OES_(USA)_and_CA66844_OES_(Canada).pdf

I did two drain and refills with ATF DW-1 on my friend's Fit last week. The shifts seem to be a bit quicker and more crisp, but less smooth. After the two drain and refills, it has 75% DW-1 and 25% Z1.

Yesterday (5-29-11), I drained & refilled my '09 Honda Civic EX auto trans. with the new ATF-DW-1. The car has 20,775 miles on it & the dealers recommended 25,000 to 30,000 fluid changes. I live in Phoenix, AZ. (HOT) & do mostly surface road, in town driving. I'm 65 & don't drive the car like a hot rod, at all. Bought it for the economy & ease of driving/parking.

Recently, I read on BITOG about the new DW-1 fluid & checked the dipstick on the Civic. The fluid looked a bit dark with a slight brownish tint, to it. So, I bought some DW-1 & did the change 3 times adding 3 quarts each drain/fill. Installed a new crush washer the last fill. The last drain had more of a reddish color to it than the first drain. The trans seems to shift smoother but, that may just be my imagination!!!

It would be nice if the owners manual would provide information as to what torque the drain plug should be tightened to. Also, how to tell when the trans if full by the dipstick. I tightened the plug up to the point where you could feel the crush washer start to crush. Worried about damaging the aluminum casing. Regarding the fill level, I was told that when the fluid is warm, put the trans in P or R & check the fluid level. That's what I did but, I don't know if that is the proper way to tell. Does anyone know, for sure???

The dealership wanted $7.97/qt. but, whan I asked about a discount, they said that if I bought a case 12, the price would go down to$5.98/qt. I needed 9 qts. so, I bought the case.

I'm glad that I did the 3 changes as the old fluid didn't look that good, to me. However, I'm not a transmission expert, either.

My recommendation is to change the fluid more often than what the dealership recommends. I'm glad that I did.

Joe F.

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
I heard Honda say this is okay, but wondering if anybody has Anybody have real world experience with it?

Notice any difference?

Problems?

Did you just do a regular drain and fill?

or a 3x drain and fill ( to theoretically change all of the fluid)?

transmission was shifting harshly from first to second. Serviced by dealer at 120,000. Vehicle is now at 168k.

Did 1 drain and fill with dw-1 with old Z1 in my 2000 Honda CR-V. mixed the fluids. transmission shifts more smoothly, haven't noticed anything else other than that. It would appear that a mixture works fine. Will do another drain and fill next year then go to 30k drain and fills.

lifetime fluid, ha!

fiddler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back