Best spray paint for bumpers/fender flares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to repaint the front and rear bumper covers as well as fender flares of my Pathfinder black. Which spray primer and paint will last the longest or work best for this application? Somebody suggested Duplicolor trim paint, anybody have any experience with it? I'm not looking for a shiny finish so I will probably not use clear coat.

I use Wurth Satin Black flexible trim paint, it's kind of expensive, but dang, it works so good it's worth it. It's some of the best spray paint I have ever used, and the satin black color is perfect.

Are these plastic and rubber parts?

If so, is Imron suitable for this application?

It seems that I can source the Wurth stuff locally for $16/15 oz. can. It's a little expensive but it sounds like it'll last. I'm obviously going to need multiple cans. Estimating how many I'll need will be tough... I'm sure the bumpers will need several on their own per cover, but would I be able to use one can for two fender flares assuming two or three coats per flare? That would make things more palatable.

Alternately, does anybody know the approximate cost of the Dupont Imron stuff? How is it packaged?

You won't go wrong w/ Wurth. That said, late last year I painted the front grill on our 996 with Duplicolor Flat Black bumper paint over Valspar plastic primer and it came out great. I couldn't justify the cost of Wurth for such a small job....the rest of the can would probably not get used for years.

The Duplicolor was a bit glossy for a "flat", but it matched the Porsche finish and its proved durable so far.

Whatever you choose, clean well...especially if anyone used protectants on the parts.

Perhaps I'll go with the Wurth for the front bumper as that will be receiving the most abuse (bugs, rocks, etc) and Duplicolor trim paint for the flares/rear bumper? If the paint starts to degrade after a couple years, it's not difficult to respray with some more Duplicolor, or just shell out for some Wurth. Of course, Wurth and Duplicolor may not be the same finish, so the difference may be obvious if I go that route.

How about primer? The flares and bumper covers are all plastic to my knowledge, so should I lightly sand then apply several coats of spray primer? If so, would Rustoleum be fine?

i'd scuff the plastic w/ a fine scotchbrite pad and follow up w/ a thorough cleaning. I typically use a lot of windex or similar followed up by either denatured alcohol or a wax remover. Use a plastic primer or adhesion promoter, krylon, valspar and SEM make them, rustoleum must. careful around the paint.

this thread motivated me to refinish the rear bumper step strip on my '09 Grand Cherokee. the plastic faded, only 2 years and 20k miles, you could see faded waves in the plastic so i'm guessing the plastic's uv inhibitors weren't mixed well or the material wasn't up to snuff. drove me crazy. used the prep & prime described above along w/ 5 thin coats of the duplicolor...came out perfect.

good luck.

A friend and I tried the Duplicolor on my rear bumper cover today. It came out rather light in some places... I'll try to get a picture in the afternoon.

I cleaned thoroughly using some Windex, then sanded lightly with some 500 grit sandpaper and cleaned again. The step strip was taped off, since the primer black would be sufficient and I was concerned that feet, etc would damage the paint over time (should I have painted this too?). One coat of white Rustoleum plastic primer was laid down, and 30 minutes later we touched up the spots we missed with some more primer. An hour later, we laid down the first coat of the Duplicolor and added a coat roughly every hour, and sprayed a total of about 4 coats. There appear to be gray/whitish spots in some spots - were our coats not thin enough, or did we not provide enough time to dry the coats? Like I said, a picture will illustrate this better but my garage lighting is too poor for a good photograph at this time.

If the Duplicolor comes out well enough, we'll probably move on to the front bumper cover and fender flares. I'd just hope it lasts a while - if it starts to flake or fail I'll just shell out for some Wurth and do a quick respray.

I painted my bumper covers, fender flares, and rear mudflaps using Krylon Fusion satin black spray paint a few weeks ago. I finally washed my Pathfinder and took some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back