Converting Used Motor Oil to Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thermal cracking appears that is what these guys are doing at least 2 Concerns would be ODOR complaints from neighbors if process is large and Auto Igniton, oil @ >700F any leak WILL BURN without any help.

I guess if way ouside and in a area if On Fire not a problem then go for it.

I like stuff that can blow up, keeps you on your toes.
bruce

Originally Posted By: bruce381
I like stuff that can blow up, keeps you on your toes.
bruce

Working in power stations, I can agree with you (2600psi, 1000F, half ton per second evaporation rate, 130lb/sec of coal combustion).

Years ago I suggested that we should install a cracking plant in a part of the boiler that has sufficient temperature to manufacture our ignition oil ( 25,000 gal to get a unit started) from biomass/waste plastic/waste oil (we've got a fair bit of that). I was laughed at.

I think it's time to test their sense of humour again.

The boilers need diesel/light heating etc.

The main waste oil is ISO 320 gear oil.

I told them it wouldn't work !!!!

oilyriser,
we try to limit starts to two per unit per year. If we have a plant problem and it needs to come out, it's about $100k in oil to get it back in...ocasionally that ends up being a fortnight apart.

One of the stations needs oil support to bring a coal mill in or out of service. That's about 1000 gallons per mill change (two per day)

I am interested in your process for used motor oil distilled into diesel. I have several thousand gals of used motor oil a month and I would like to process this into diesel. I am current producing biodiesel at a about 500 gal. week. I would appreciate any comments and input. Thanks

Any update on your oil conversion to diesel system. I am interested. I have a large quantity of used motor oil that I would like to convert. I am also making biodiesel. I have 20 tanks at restaurants but the thief of the used cooking oil is becoming a problem.

Yeah ... when I saw that BioD from used restaurant oil was soaring in popularity and being publicized on TV >> I knew that it was just a matter of time before people were going to be fighting over every drop and restaurant owners were going to be getting a new revenue stream... Especially when oil and fuel prices spiked.
Believe it or not >> Used Motor oil is going to do the same thing eventually.... I know because I am getting paid $.80 a gallon now and they are saying that if the market sustains the price that it is at now it will continue to go up (I don't think it CAN sustain the current price but that is beside the point) They are also taking my used oil filters for no charge on top of that! I think it is because of the scrap steel prices but I just don't want to mess with them.
For converting used Motor oil to diesel we have a forum complete with picture of what we have done at http://www.oiltodiesel.com
You have to keep in mind that most of us are not experts >> Just people that are tired of getting led around by our ear and told we have to conform >>> We decided to think outside of the box and find a new and cheaper way to power our diesels with potentially free fuel...
Batch plants are pretty simple to build and there are a lot of people that have done it... I decided to build a continuous production processor which makes things a little more complicated but I am always up for a good challenge... Anyway stop by and look at what we have so far and feel free to contribute if you want.

Oilguy

Mobile, what part of Texas are you in? If you are close to me, I would love to come see what you have done so far and get an understanding of this process......thanks.

Hi, I finished now my second refinery, this one is for continuously working. My problem is I cant get the diesel stabilizer Stabil AD 5300 and I need someone were can test my diesel.Has someone an Idee how to get to this stuff, the producer ( Nalco chemicals gives me no answer on my emails). If anyone working on a continuously refinery, you must be carefully!! The added oil has to be preheated to at least
180 C, until all water is for sure steamed out before the oil enter the system.

You're having troubles with Nalco ?

I think that they think that they are rich enough ATM. Otherwise, they'd be collecting fish heads out of your trash to find a use for.

How long before somebody shows up and tells you they want to tax your fuel?

how do you condense he vapoure in your distillation tank
please show me pictures of your babysit processor
what do ensure if i want diesel only at the end of my production
what difference lay between diesel made using used motor oil standard diesel in terms of qualities properties and performance

What kind of Thermometer do you use, 700 to 1000 degrees? the auto ignition is only 750^F. When reaching those high temperatures do I need to worry about my tank blowing as long as I have no leaks, or will it not be able to reach enough pressure to worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back