top fuel used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
dint they rebuild engine after every run ?

yup, and IIRC a block is only good for 4 runs.

Whats crazy on the TF cars is the blow-by catch tanks mounted just in front of the rear spoiler.

O and having gone to Pomona a few times, being behind a TF car when they fire it up is an experience every car person needs to do at least once.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
dint they rebuild engine after every run ?

yup, and IIRC a block is only good for 4 runs.

Whats crazy on the TF cars is the blow-by catch tanks mounted just in front of the rear spoiler.

O and having gone to Pomona a few times, being behind a TF car when they fire it up is an experience every car person needs to do at least once.

Agreed!

fuel dilution? sure is. but i bet theres more water in there than you think. think about it, hydrogen in the fuel, oxygen in the air, combine to make water. and a race engine has a lot blow by. i was told by people that know that gasoline makes about a gallon of water for each gallon of gasoline burned.

Something important to realize is that the NHRA nitromethane powered cars run on the verge of hydrolock under full throttle. Nitromethane has a 1.7-1 stoichiometric ratio vs 14.7-1 for gasoline. There is a lot of liquid in the cylinder of a top fuel/funny car, hence much of the blowby is liquid, and you see the contamination problem of the oil.

One thing that struck me was looking at the rod bearings after a run and seeing the way they extruded (like modeling clay) out from the rod journals. It's like you took a piece of lead and pressed it in a hydraulic press and it oozed out like a liquid/plastic into a thin sheet.

Those engines continue to amaze me. The tuners that can run those things without blowing them to pieces are truly talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back