Portable Generator choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
On fuel storage, I've gotten smarter. I have 2, 5 gallon jugs but the biggest storage is IN the car. What I do is if I hear of a potential ice storm or severe thuderstorms coming, I'll fill up every vehicle I have. With the cars I have at the house, see below, I have an additional 50 gallons or so on top of the ten I have. Get a good siphon or even an electical one and you can draw gas from the tanks. At least around here when there are power outages, most gas stations will stay open 24/7. I'll go late at night to buy gas and there's hardly a line.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Another thing to remember is that if your using those orange extension cords, your going to lose some efficiency. What I and a lot of other neighbors have done during power outages in ice storms and tornadoes, is akin to the "suicide" cord, but with a little better knowledge. Take the 230 volt circular plug and get some good quality 8/3 or 10/4 type of electrical cord. Where the AC compressor is, there is (well, in our neighborhood and probably code requirement) an outside 60 amp circruit breaker. Once you've connected the wires to the plug, take the other end and connect it to the AC circuit breaker (SHUT THE MAIN OFF FIRST) and then you can backfeed to the house. You'll have to know what breaker does what and only turn on the ones you absolutely need like the refrigerator, freezer, some wall sockets, etc. etc. Works well.

Works well? It may but it's illegal.

Do yourself and the lineman (lineperson?) a favor and get a real transfer switch. They aren't that expensive. Look at it this way, you may know what breakers to flip but what if you're not home and the kids decide to "do what daddy does?"

I have a 6700 watt Mitsubishi, I bought it a couple of years ago for I think $1700. Great generator, far and above built better than the Costco and Home Depot specials. Plus I can order any part I need for it from them and fix it. Its designed to be fixed.

Currently it has about 400 hours on it and has been powering my aunts house for the past few days because of Irene, might break 500 soon.

http://www.mitsubishi-generators.com/generators/mge6700z.php

Only downside is it takes two people to move it, it weighs about 200 pounds filled with gas.

It has automatic idle down so when your only running saw a saw off it it won't keep cranking if you don't use the saw for a minute, it idles right down and saves fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I have a 6700 watt Mitsubishi, I bought it a couple of years ago for I think $1700. Great generator, far and above built better than the Costco and Home Depot specials. Plus I can order any part I need for it from them and fix it. Its designed to be fixed.

Currently it has about 400 hours on it and has been powering my aunts house for the past few days because of Irene, might break 500 soon.

http://www.mitsubishi-generators.com/generators/mge6700z.php

Only downside is it takes two people to move it, it weighs about 200 pounds filled with gas.

It has automatic idle down so when your only running saw a saw off it it won't keep cranking if you don't use the saw for a minute, it idles right down and saves fuel.

Of course it has to have 3600RPM to maintain 60 cycles. Not sure idleing down will do that on demand for power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back