honda civic manual transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my friend needs a transmission fluid change...he's kind of broke and doesnt want to spend 9-10 dollars a quart on honda fluid. is it okay to use motor oil in his transmission? I know older hondas called for regular motor oil...

also what additive is primarily used in honda MTF or other words...what additive is needed to protect the transmission? im thinking we should buy a motor oil that contains more of that additive....?

Engine oil is so far away from an ideal fluid for a synchronized manual transmission. I would only use in an emergency. Manual fluid changes are so infrequent and this unit probably only takes like 2 quarts. I would just tell him to save up for the real juice, either some Honda, Amsoil, or Redline MTF. It will shift much better and the synchros will last longer.

i think his transmission has 250k miles on it. its hard to get into 1st gear everytime and going from 1 to 2 is notchy

Sounds like the damage/wear is already done. I find that many people finally get ready to change drivetrain fluids once a problem surfaces. I can recommend fluid changes for preventative maintenance until I'm blue in the face with these folks, and they put it off until it is way too late, and then a fluid change is a band-aid at best.

Tell him to save for a rebuild. Doesn't sound like a fluid change is going to help much at this point.

Come to think of it, it sounds like his clutch might be dragging or not fully releasing if he is having trouble to get into 1st gear. Might look into that first.

You didn't give a year so I'll just assume it's late 90s. Those manual transmissions are supposed to have their fluid changed every 90k miles under normal conditions and 30k under severe (for reference). For late 90s Civics the capacity is either 2.0 or 2.4 quarts (1.9 or 2.3 replaced).

Directly from the manual:

If Honda MTF is not available, you
may use an API service SG, SH or SJ
grade motor oil with a viscosity of
SAE 10W-30 or 10W-40 as a
temporary replacement. An SG
grade is preferred, but an SH or SJ
grade may be used if SG is not
available. However, motor oil does
not contain the proper additives and
continued use can cause stiffer
shifting. Replace as soon as
convenient.

bmwtechguy summed everything up very well and I also would suggest splurging on 2 quarts of MTF if he's going to change the fluid at all.

Depends on the year, newer than 2001 probably uses Honda Genuine Type-II, but I'm not sure about that. HG Type-II is close to a 20, multi-grade oil as far as viscosity. Amsoil is a 5w-30, and Red Line I believe is the same with their MTF.

Either way, if you spend on fluid get a real MTF like Honda Genuine, Amsoil, Red Line, etc...depending on the year HG Type II or the offering from the 90s fluid would still be better than motor oil, 100% no doubt about it.

Using Amsoil right now and I'm pleased, 1992 S20 transmission in this little thing. 2 quarts total capacity, 1.9 quart refill. I just dumped in the entire bottle after draining the used fluid, and the used; after being transferred from the catch pan, filled up the now empty Amsoil MTF bottles(2, 1 quart bottles) I had just poured into the tranny all the way up.

PS: Definitely key to note motor oil is the 'temporary' replacement, as in only for a little while etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
my friend needs a transmission fluid change...he's kind of broke and doesnt want to spend 9-10 dollars a quart on honda fluid. is it okay to use motor oil in his transmission? I know older hondas called for regular motor oil...

Motor oil was specified back before the advent of OBD-II.

The mandated emissions-restrictions that came with OBD-II resulted in the reduction of zinc and phosphorus in motor oil. It was those additives that Honda was counting on to protect the transmission's internals.This means that motor oils made after about 1995 are not suitable for use in Honda manual-transmissions.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
also what additive is primarily used in honda MTF or other words...what additive is needed to protect the transmission? im thinking we should buy a motor oil that contains more of that additive....?

Honda's MTF uses some kind of sulphury-smelling compound that smells like gear oil. No idea what exactly it is. The older MTF was clear but slightly yellow in color, the newer fluid is even more clear, but with a slight pinky-brown tinge.

If your friend is pleading poverty, I suggest a diesel motor oil like Shell Rotella. New diesel emissions laws mean oil makers have had to start cutting zinc/phosphorus in those as well, but it's possible that your friend won't own his car long enough to see any damage he might cause through the use of non-specified fluid.

Having said that though... 3 quarts of Honda MTF would be about $30. A gallon of Rotella is, what, about $20? Is your friend willing to save $10 in order to risk $500 wrecking his transmission? Personally, I'd call that "false economy".

The GM/Chrysler spec "synchromesh" MTF can be had for about $7-8 a quart at a typical parts store. Not much cheaper but the additive pack is probably better suited for the purpose. It is supposed to be a 5w30 weight.

while doing his brakes......saw that the cv boot was torn. will change axle and fluid at the same time. ill make him buy honda fluid or i wont do that job :p

btw its a 96 civic...how could i have gotten to put the year O_O

Last edited:
I have not seen a special specification for LSD equipped Honda's apart from the use only Honda fluids recommendation. Is it just the same as their manual trans fluid?

Honda's MTF is only $9-10 from the dealership. From a parts place like hondapartsnow.com or autohausaz.com it's more like 6 bucks. Well worth it for the right stuff. I use Amsoil MTF in my mid-90's Hondas and it's a bit smoother than the Honda stuff.

I put Amsoil MTF in my '11 Civic 5 speed trans. I love it
smile.gif

Sorry to bump an old thread....but my parents have a 1986 Honda Civic CRX (yea....kinda weird....right? Is it a CRX? or a Civic? Anyways, it's a "coupe" if that matters) with the manual transmission.

They've mentioned to me that the trans has been slipping and such....they just replaced the clutch with the BECK/ARNLEY Part # 0619080 from rockauto.com when asked if they added fluid, they were dumfounded...huh? Fluid in a manual transmission? That doesn't make sense!

So, am I crazy? That I recommended fluid check, or are they crazy? For not realizing a manual transmission takes fluid
smile.gif

They do not have a manual for the vehicle.....so when I need to consult a source on fluid recommendations, I typically go to amsoil.com
wink.gif
They seem to be right for hte most part on the specs/fluids there....

And they do indeed list:
Manual Transmission,......SJ
All TEMPS......10W-30, 10W-40
SAE 10W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ATMQT)
XL 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLTQT)
Synthetic 10W30 OE Motor Oil (OETQT)

Which I believe to be "correct" - how can I instruct them on adding Transmission fluid to their 1986 Honda Civic/CRX? :p

They told me their is no "dipstick" - so I'm thinking there must be a weep-hole/spout/plug somewhere down y'onder where the fluid can be checked/added, similar to a differential..?

That being said....noticed Amsoil also specs DOT3 Brake Fluid for the "Clutch Fluid" - I'm thinking if they did not know there vehicle need(s) "manual" transmission fluid, they may also be low/out of "clutch fluid" too.....so, where would this be located to check/add the clutch fluid? Or is the brake/clutch fluid shared between the clutch and the brake fluid reservoir? They told me the brakes are fine, stops on a dime.....so the "Clutch Fluid" may be "OK" anyhow....but wouldn't hurt to let them know where to find it in the future
smile.gif

Just trying to help them out...hehe. With the "new" clutch in there.....I'd hate to see them burn that one up.....

^They obviously didn't replace the clutch themselves. The shop that did the job probably replaced the fluid. The MTF would be for the transmission anyway, but may affect clutch feel. If it's not staying in gear WITH the new clutch, a fluid change 'may' help but they may need transmission replacement at this point...

No, he replaced the clutch himself in his garage according to their neighbors
smile.gif
I just don't think he changed out the "manual transmission fluid" which Amsoil states takes regular 10W-30 motor oil...mind you, when I went over there, the vehicle was still on jack stands, I think he just did a test from the driver seat with the car still in the air....and he told me it's still slipping even with the new clutch installed.

That being said, what all is there to a "Manual Transmission"?

Clutch, Flywheel, Shift Cable, and some bearings?

The kit (I saw the kit) came with the pressure plate, clutch disc, release bearing, alignment tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back