whats in waxoyl and dinitrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to make my own underbody rustproofer using engine oil as a base.
this is because:
a]this gm metal in an 83 blazer rots faster than a cheetah runs
b]i have a load of new oil no one knows if still ok as on shelf for years.
thanks in advance-steve

Waxoyl is a totally useless product. They tried selling it here in the 80's and it was a huge flop. Vehicles rusted out the same or more with that stuff. Have not seen anyone selling it for over 25 years...
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Waxoyl is a totally useless product. They tried selling it here in the 80's and it was a huge flop. Vehicles rusted out the same or more with that stuff. Have not seen anyone selling it for over 25 years...
spankme2.gif

Really? Why? That stuff is big in the land rover circles and is sold by a lot of places especially up in VT.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
spankme2.gif

Really? Why? That stuff is big in the land rover circles and is sold by a lot of places especially up in VT.

It sealed moisture in, and made vehicles rust prematurely. We get a lot of salt here in the winter

Those GM's did rust fast. I remember my dad's eighty something van getting eaten bad. I swear I saw it get worse by the day hehe.

I made my own homemade brew that works pretty well. It's main ingredient is paraffin wax but you can add more or less motor oil to make it softer or harder.

Check it out here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...408#Post2042408

The wax is what makes it durable so you don't have to be applying it every week. You will probably have to use more wax then what I stated in the writeup. But use it as a starting point and see what kind of film it leaves for you.

I use an old Windex spray bottle to apply it. Surprisingly it hasn't clogged after a couple years of applications.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Those GM's did rust fast. I remember my dad's eighty something van getting eaten bad. I swear I saw it get worse by the day hehe.

I made my own homemade brew that works pretty well. It's main ingredient is paraffin wax but you can add more or less motor oil to make it softer or harder.

Check it out here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...408#Post2042408

The wax is what makes it durable so you don't have to be applying it every week. You will probably have to use more wax then what I stated in the writeup. But use it as a starting point and see what kind of film it leaves for you.

I use an old Windex spray bottle to apply it. Surprisingly it hasn't clogged after a couple years of applications.

You may find this more efficient than a Windex bottle. Cost was $15

Monarch009.jpg

Waxoyl contains chemical rust inhibitors suspended in wax and is an excellent product, the ministry of defense uses it over here. Sorry, I don't actually know what is in it, I just felt it needed a little defending.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Euro
Waxoyl contains chemical rust inhibitors suspended in wax and is an excellent product, the ministry of defense uses it over here. Sorry, I don't actually know what is in it, I just felt it needed a little defending.

Are your roads heavily salted from December to April?
smirk.gif

If not, I would suggest you really have not tested the product in an extreme environment. Canada and Northern US states, have roads covered with salt-slurry after every snowfall. Its about as good an environment to test rust inhibitors as you can find

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Has anyone tried these?

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1136.pdf

Ive used the HD MP with mixed results. On nuts and bolts under the car, it seems to have protected well. On nuts under the hood at the hood latches, the rust seems to have formed through.

Perhaps moisture diffuses through and then still attacks the metal? The spots under the hood also Id imagine have water sitting sometimes.

Similar coatings Ive found used on the inner body panels in my 82 MB which Ive recently pulled the inner door skin off of, and seems to be doing a fine job.

Monarch009.jpg

Ummmm, youre claiming that waxoyl traps moisture in, but then youre recommending that someone spray paraffin wax under their car with that gun as an option??!? Paraffin will not self-heal as well as the other stuff (waxoyl is pretty mobile, just got my MB done with it this spring, and Ive used a lot of Amsoil HDMP and Eastwood HD anti-rust), and thus it will trap moisture in better than the other stuff!

Plus, youre basing waxoyl's success on 20 year-old experience. Recall how well cars rusted 20+ years ago, especially in the salty areas?

Sorry, not saying youre wrong on either front, it just makes me question because it is too obvious that the wax/waxoyl thing is the same and that your experience may be outdated...

Monarch009.jpg

Ummmm, youre claiming that waxoyl traps moisture in, but then youre recommending that someone spray paraffin wax under their car with that gun as an option??!? Paraffin will not self-heal as well as the other stuff (waxoyl is pretty mobile, just got my MB done with it this spring, and Ive used a lot of Amsoil HDMP and Eastwood HD anti-rust), and thus it will trap moisture in better than the other stuff!

Plus, youre basing waxoyl's success on 20 year-old experience. Recall how well cars rusted 20+ years ago, especially in the salty areas?

Sorry, not saying youre wrong on either front, it just makes me question because it is too obvious that the wax/waxoyl thing is the same and that your experience may be outdated...

No, all I was saying is why use a Windex bottle, when you can use a real application tiool.

As for Waxoyl, I have seen it fail in the marketplace. If it was so great why is in not used in the largest market for rusty cars. Back in th e 80's I had vehicles treated with it on a hoist, and was able to peel it up with a knife and let the water run out. In rocker panels it also does nothing, but seal in mositure. I recall a product called Zeibart that failed in a similar way. Those franchisee are also all out of business..

Last edited:
Well that is a different waxoyl than what got put on my car then. Mine is likea thick krown. Dries less/stays more flexible than Amsoil HDMP and eastwood anti-rust. Its just a thick waxy-oily substance. No coating, nothing to peel. That sounds like undercoating to me...

What do you use in that gun???

Well that is a different waxoyl than what got put on my car then. Mine is likea thick krown. Dries less/stays more flexible than Amsoil HDMP and eastwood anti-rust. Its just a thick waxy-oily substance. No coating, nothing to peel. That sounds like undercoating to me...

What do you use in that gun???

I am talking after 5-7 years of use in a salt environment, not after it is installed. It dries out with time/cold/salt.

I use this product. 1 gallon for first use, then half gallon evey other year. Cost is $18 per gallon (4L)

Monarch005.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Euro

Are your roads heavily salted from December to April?
smirk.gif

If not, I would suggest you really have not tested the product in an extreme environment. Canada and Northern US states, have roads covered with salt-slurry after every snowfall. Its about as good an environment to test rust inhibitors as you can find

No but they are from November to March
smile.gif

The floorpan of my VW Bug was coated in waxoyl from new and has never been welded, the car has done over 270,000 miles now in all weathers up to about four years ago.

Last edited:
I am talking after 5-7 years of use in a salt environment, not after it is installed. It dries out with time/cold/salt.

I use this product. 1 gallon for first use, then half gallon evey other year. Cost is $18 per gallon (4L)

Monarch005.jpg

Have you noticed this stuff softening/solving/causing failure of the OE rubberized undercoatings and seam sealers that are applied on cars?

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Bluestream, nice gun. I've been using a similar one. The windex bottle I just used as an example of how easy and cheap that DIY it can be.

I still have not been able to find that product from Monarch after to years here in the states. I remember you posting all of this back in '09. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1561069&page=2

Really want to give it a try on one of my heaps.

Gomes, If you can find out if it can be shipped, I can buy some and ship it to you. I could also send a sample to Mola to be analyzed, and maybe we could start to mix up our own product???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back