2008 Silverado tranmission fluid exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I've decided to do a tranny fluid exchange on my 08 Silverado. Has 55K miles on it. It also has the factory transmission cooler on it. I'm goin to do the "poor man's flush" on it, meaning I'll pull the return line off of the cooler, put a fitting on the cooler, and run a hose from the fitting to a bucket. Anyways, I pulled off the line on the tranny cooler, and can't figure out what the thread pitch or type is on the cooler. Does anyone know, for a fact, what the thread pitch/type/size is? I went to the local farm & ranch store, Autozone, and even the GM dealer, and no can help me. Hopefully someone here has the answer. Thanks.

I've never actually substituted a fitting for a line. How about pulling the return line quick connect fitting loose at the transmission or pull the male fitting on the entry side of the cooler and just push a piece of hose on the tubing (usually enough if the hose fits snug, but you can put a clamp on there too if you think it will blow off) and then flush it like that?

Originally Posted By: kasedian
OK. I've decided to do a tranny fluid exchange on my 08 Silverado. Has 55K miles on it. It also has the factory transmission cooler on it. I'm goin to do the "poor man's flush" on it, meaning I'll pull the return line off of the cooler, put a fitting on the cooler, and run a hose from the fitting to a bucket. Anyways, I pulled off the line on the tranny cooler, and can't figure out what the thread pitch or type is on the cooler. Does anyone know, for a fact, what the thread pitch/type/size is? I went to the local farm & ranch store, Autozone, and even the GM dealer, and no can help me. Hopefully someone here has the answer. Thanks.

Does the old one thread in with a gasket or tapered (NPT). If it uses a gasket then its probably metric, but if its tapered then its probably NPT, but I also think there is a metric pipe thread, but its rare.

Are we talking rubber lines or metal? The pressure is pretty low, maybe you could push in a plastic line with the right OD. Or the other end of the line you disconnected.

Here is post for an older Silverado. The fitting to me does not look tapered. But things could have changed.

http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179148

Contact this place and ask

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ex_n_1?me=A293LVN2FWVDTC&rh=i%3Amerchant-items%2Cn%3A%2115690151&bbn=15690151&ie=UTF8&qid=1314668510

When I did mine, I tried using a 3/8" brass cooler line fitting, which was recommended to me by someone that had used it on his Avalanche. It didn't fit on mine, though.

I ended up cutting the rubber return hose and adding a magnefine filter, so while the hose was cut, I pushed on some 3/8" tubing I bought from Home Depot and used that.

Did that tranny come with a drain plug?

I suspect that tranny came with DEX VI, which is likely not worn out yet.

I think you're putting way more effort into that task than necessary. Drain the pan, pull the pan and exchange the filter, reinstall and refill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back