Cabin Filter Comparison: Nissan OEM vs. NAPA Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, I replaced the NAPA Gold 4863 in-cabin filters which were in use in my Pathfinder for about 18 months with Nissan OEM part # 999M1-VP003 ($36 on Courtesy Parts - which is the wholesale price the dealership offered me). Strangely, Courtesy Parts lists a different, cheaper part number under Accessories -> Interior for R50s. Perhaps these are the filters alone and do not include the new retaining clip, caution and replacement labels, or instructions, all of which were unnecessary in my case. I already have the caution label in my glove box, and the sticker is nice but not worth $4 (or $16 if I had bought the NAPA Gold again). The old retaining clip was still usable, but I used the new one anyway.

Here are photos of the new filters:

Both filters have 52 pleats, give or take one. Old filters:

These filters have the same amount of pleats as the OEM filters. They don't have as much foam padding around the front of the filters. I paid around $20 for these filters, and they look comparable to the OEM filters. These filters are probably made by Wix, since most if not all of NAPA's Gold filter line (oil and air) is made by Wix. I would not hesitate to use them again. Other than the minor gripe about the foam padding, there is nothing wrong with these filters and they did their job well.

Scans of instructions:

Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:

In short, these say nothing different than the guide over on NICOclub.

Here are scans of the caution and replacement labels:

I replaced the factory filter in my Altima Coupe after 2 years / 24K miles with a NAPA EnviroShield 4400 (WIX 24400). It only cost me $7.12 (on sale) and was nearly identical. I see no reason to pay a premium for Nissan OEM filters.

I wanted to see if there were any differences between OEM and aftermarket. Since NAPA Gold filters even have the same pleat count, I'll stick to buying these (on sale of course) from now on. The old filters I pulled out don't look very bad at all, I'll tap the dirt out of them and use them after I run these OEM filters for 2+ years.

If you have 1-2 Bounce(cloth dryer) sheets on top of the cabin filter, you will have some fresh air for few weeks and it catches some large debris such as leaves, sands, bugs ... so that the filter will last much longer. Change the Bounce sheets once or twice a year.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you have 1-2 Bounce(cloth dryer) sheets on top of the cabin filter, you will have some fresh air for few weeks and it catches some large debris such as leaves, sands, bugs ... so that the filter will last much longer. Change the Bounce sheets once or twice a year.

That's a great idea. I don't think I could get one in with mine though, it's the soft sided type and a pretty tight squeeze as it is. I'll have to remember that for my wife's next car, she would love that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back