How to: 97 Toyota Camry differential fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently changed the differential fluid on my 1997 Toyota Camry 2.2L I4 automatic transmission. In my efforts to give back to the online community that has taught me most of my car knowledge, I made a youtube video showing how to do the work yourself.

Please let me know, if you have any comments or suggestions. I'm always open to advice.

Nice video! Good job putting it together.

So the differential has separate fluid from the AT in this FWD vehicle? is that common?

JHZR2, yes it has separate fluids.

It's thought of as a better design to have them both in the same case. When i was going to school, i was told that the 4T60E (GM) was some what of a break though, combining both of these fluids/cases together.

This is probably one of the last vehicles to use separate cases. Just about anything from 2000 and up is going to have a single case.

For this particular car the automatic transmission fluid and front differential fluid are separate. I don't know if this is common or not, I've just started doing my own car maintenance a year ago.

Bravo! Great video and nice job on the Differential Fluid.

I just changed out my rear, front and transfer case on the T4R. I used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Gear Lube, 75W-90, from Advance Auto, using discounts for the refill.

Next time, I'll get a good pump to fill up the Differentials and Transfer case. I used a thin hose attached to the top of the Mobil 1 quarts, with a hose clamp, for re-filling and it was a Royal Pain. Especially, refilling the transfer case on the T4R.

Thanks again for your great video.

Most vehicles specify that the automatic transmission fluid be checked on the dipstick with the vehicle on level ground, motor warm and the motor running at idle.
Of course, read the instructions for YOUR particular vehicle.

The transmission on my 2003 Toyota Sienna 6 cylinder shares the fluid with the automatic transmission.
I drained the fluid from both....but just to VERIFY for myself that what I had read was true, I put the drain plug in the transmission and left the drain plug out of the Differential....and added fluid to the transmission....constantly checking for ATF to flow out of the differential drain plug.
When I saw fresh fluid start flowing out of the differential, I KNEW that they share the same fluid and fill point on my vehicle.
I then installed the drain plug and filled them both through the dipstic tube on the transmission.
Then I did the cooler line exchange.

I filled the differential with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

I found the pump I used at Advance Auto Parts. It leaked between the screw on cap and pump, but it was cheap. The pump does make your arm very tired though.

Thanks for the information.

I'm sure there might be better pumps available to fill the Differentials and Transfer Case. I guess I'll have to search them out and see what the price is for a good pump. Maybe a Mightyvac would come in handy. I'll have to look on Amazon, E-bay or Craigs List.

The hose, attached to the Mobil 1 quart bottle with a clamp, after removing the spout, does work. You just have to keep squeezing the bottle to get as much out as you can and into the fill hole.

The problem is when the quart bottle is just about empty....you have to reattach the hose to a new quart to proceed with the filling. Later on I consolidated the remaining contents of all the quart bottles into one bottle.

I used almost six quarts and still had 1 quart of Mobil 1, 75W-140 that I plan to use for top offs.

It's a time consuming job.....especially when your on your own.

Originally Posted By: shooter250
I filled the differential with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

I found the pump I used at Advance Auto Parts. It leaked between the screw on cap and pump, but it was cheap. The pump does make your arm very tired though.

Last edited:
Good job. The lighting is very good which makes it easy to follow what you are doing.

I have changed the differential fluid on my 92 Camry 2.2L using Mobil 1 ATF. I filled it using a funnel and tubing so I could just pour it in. I removed the air filter assembly for better access which makes it easier to work from the top.

On my 02 Jetta the differential is also separately filled but no drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back