Scented fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a company makes fuel additives that add scent that people use at the drag strip. But it's nasty pricey. Is there any chance that I could use the scented oils like for oil warmers? Like from walmart. Or even the scented lamp oil?

I would primarily use it in my 06 Dodge Cummins diesel, which burns any oil. But if doable I'd add it to my gassers too.

Of course it needs to be water free, and I'm sure my filters are great but still I don't want to add garbage to my system.

I want input from the BITOG community cause you guys are knowledgable and speak in facts instead of "well maybe I think...".
Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
why????
Let's be honest. We are on a message board where people [censored] about motor oil. Why could be asked about all of it. But the answer is clear if you read the post. Because it already exists and I want to know if there's a cheaper alternative for when at the track.

Originally Posted By: Scorch
Anything not meant to go in your gas tank should not go in your gas tank. Period. Do it right or don't do it at all.
People successfully burn many different types of oils in their diesels. So you KNOW that this isn't the same as the product that is "meant" for it? Please tell how you know that. Thanks. And once again no need for unfounded opinions.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Add some TCW3 for a toned down diesel exhaust smell. It works on my gasser.

Just my opinion, Jim
That's not the point. The point is to find a cheaper alternative to the expensive commercial product.
I already use tcw3 in my diesel in a 1:128 ratio. 1oz tcw3 per gallon of fuel. What ratio is used in gassers? The purpose in diesels is to lubricate the injectors. What's the point in a modern gasoline engine? I'm interested to learn that. Thanks man.

Originally Posted By: N4cer
why????
Let's be honest. We are on a message board where people [censored] about motor oil. Why could be asked about all of it. But the answer is clear if you read the post. Because it already exists and I want to know if there's a cheaper alternative for when at the track.

Again, why? people talk about motor oil with the intent to optimize this or that aspect, all with the intent of improving longevity, economy, performance, etc.

I just dont get why one would want to add a scent to fuel. First, you shouldnt be breathing it. Fuels contain sulfur and aromatics, both of which are toxic. Covering up those scents with another dont really do anything for anyone. Second, if you are breathing it, it shouldnt be pleasant. It should be a distinct odor that has some pungency and makes it such that people are aware and stay away. Finally, it does nothing. Even if one could say that it is pleasant (Id say no, its like lighing a scented candle after taking a stinky dump), there is no functional benefit to it. Unlike most of the discussion on oils, adds, greases, etc., where folks are looking to maximize benefit, I see none coming from this.

So again, why? I really am curious.

I'm not sure what you want to hear. It's a commonly used item at large drag strips and car shows. There's something marketable about it, that people like it when their car leaves a pleasant smell in the air rather than nothing at all or a noxious smell. And the product does a good job of this btw since apparently you have absolutely NO experience with it (and therefore really have no reason to be in the thread). I don't know why you're wanting ME to be responsible for the market that exists, but you might as well get over it and either answer or get lost, honestly. You're not helping anything and your sparkling personality won't change the fact that the market for such product exists.

Last edited:
I know a company makes fuel additives that add scent that people use at the drag strip. But it's nasty pricey. Is there any chance that I could use the scented oils like for oil warmers? Like from walmart. Or even the scented lamp oil?

I would primarily use it in my 06 Dodge Cummins diesel, which burns any oil. But if doable I'd add it to my gassers too.

Of course it needs to be water free, and I'm sure my filters are great but still I don't want to add garbage to my system.

I want input from the BITOG community cause you guys are knowledgable and speak in facts instead of "well maybe I think...".
Thoughts?

I think you would have to try it and see.

Or even the scented lamp oil?

I would primarily use it in my 06 Dodge Cummins diesel, which burns any oil.

I've never thought that a real Dodge Cummins diesel should leave a midnight mist or lavender scent trail. But to each his own.

I'm not sure what you want to hear. It's a commonly used item at large drag strips and car shows. There's something marketable about it, that people like it when their car leaves a pleasant smell in the air rather than nothing at all or a noxious smell. And the product does a good job of this btw since apparently you have absolutely NO experience with it (and therefore really have no reason to be in the thread). I don't know why you're wanting ME to be responsible for the market that exists, but you might as well get over it and either answer or get lost, honestly. You're not helping anything and your sparkling personality won't change the fact that the market for such product exists.

If there is a market and it makes sense, then so be it. Obviously as youve seen in this thread, nobody in here seems able to discern why you would do this.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I think you would have to try it and see.
Yeah I will. Thanks man.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Why give fuel a pleasent smell unless you want to encourage huffing it?
Holy [censored] dude, it's in your gas tank, and the scent comes from the tailpipe. Not some gas can in some 15yr old junkie's garage. [censored]? What a strange way to think you'd have someone huffing directly from your vehicle's fuel tank at an event. I used to be a drug counselor and still never heard of that. You've got some interesting experiences apparently.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I've never thought that a real Dodge Cummins diesel should leave a midnight mist or lavender scent trail. But to each his own.
So there's fake Dodge Cummins trucks running around. Got ya. Yet again, you don't have to agree, but since it sells very well in the drag racing community, I see an opportunity for cash here.

If there is a market and it makes sense, then so be it. Obviously as youve seen in this thread, nobody in here seems able to discern why you would do this.
Yeah the question in no way asked who approves or has delusions that makes them think that their unwarranted opinion matters. Just if anybody knew if it'd work. I'm just shocked that this many people on an oil site have never been to any large drag races. I guess some people aren't the car enthusiasts I thought they would be on an oil site. But of course there's posers in every community I guess. Even the small drag races there's always 1-2 guys with some crazy cherry or cotton candy scented exhaust.

I really would hope people have enough brains to figure some of it out on their own but supposedly it eases the headaches for guys who get headaches from the SCENT of exhaust (not the content).

Last edited:
Try Excedrin instead.

Try wearing a scented mask.

Try spreading whatever scent appeals to you under your nostrils.

Try not getting bent out of shape because you don't like the responces you get on a public forum.

Try a more appropiate thread title. Like "Scented exhaust." Then you won't get people asking why you want to scent fuel.

Last edited:
I really would hope people have enough brains to figure some of it out on their own but supposedly it eases the headaches for guys who get headaches from the SCENT of exhaust (not the content).

If the "scent" of exhaust gives someone a headache they simply shouldn't sniff it. I think it was made clear that the idea of a scented exhaust was rather absurd.

A scented exhaust would still contain all the particulates and chemicals that caused the headache in the first place-your foo foo scent simply masks the odor. If someone gets a headache from exhaust, it's not from the smell, but rather what is in the exhaust which doesn't go away simply because you've made it smell like something called Perfectly Pomegranate.

Trajan: try spell check. Try you have serious issues if you take the internet so seriously that you think people get bent out of shape over it. Try the topic wasn't asking who approves. Just if anybody knows if it's possible. Somehow apparently a lot of people here aren't as bright as they think they are.

Smokey used to use oil of wintergreen to mask his unusual fuel cocktails.

Could try dissolving lifesavers in your fuel for a cheap replication.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

If the "scent" of exhaust gives someone a headache they simply shouldn't sniff it. I think it was made clear that the idea of a scented exhaust was rather absurd.

A scented exhaust would still contain all the particulates and chemicals that caused the headache in the first place-your foo foo scent simply masks the odor. If someone gets a headache from exhaust, it's not from the smell, but rather what is in the exhaust which doesn't go away simply because you've made it smell like something called Perfectly Pomegranate.
Yup. And yet that means nothing because the market still exists. Save your breath. And please, don't give your opinion when you can't spell "rivet".

Last edited:
FYI this thread is done. It's just become fun at this point to see how many illiterate people will give their inexperienced opinions.

Come on get mad and run the mouths, keyboard warriors. Tell me why it's ok. Cause you know you have to so you can keep your e-cred in your minds.

Somehow apparently a lot of people here aren't as bright as they think they are.

Purile insults. The last refuge of the bested.

Last edited:
I LOVE IT!! LOL

First you say this:
Thoughts?

THEN when you get input from "the BITOG community", you say this:
FYI this thread is done. It's just become fun at this point to see how many illiterate people will give their inexperienced opinions.

What do you want!?!?!?!?

Do you want everyone to tell you how cool it is, and that you would be a fool if you did not scent your fuel????

Additives that make your exhaust smell like grapes is pointless in my opinion.

You asked for the BITOG users view point, you got it.

Don't get bent out of shape over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back