Question About Bosch Distance Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two Bosch Distance Plus (D3330 size) filters for my Toyota Avalon. The literature with them claims 99.9% efficiency and that this series filter can hold a load of 29.1 grams of dirt. What are your opinions about these filters? Good, bad, indifferent? They are close in price to Mobil's best ones at the Pep Boys. I am thinking of using each for more than one oil change for convenience.

Some of the Bosch distance plus filters are actually PureOnes. That's about all I know about them. The Pure One PL20195 is one of the Bosch filters maybe even the 3330. There are posts on here about it.

IMO....from what I've read on this Forum, the media is a lot different on the Bosch D+...synthetic media and the cannister for the Bosch D+ is a lot heavier and stronger than the can on the Pure 1.

There is no way to compare the quality of the Bosch D+ to the P1. By trying to compare the D+ to the P1 is like comparing a MB to a Buick or a tank to a jeep.

I have not taken them from the box but I can tell that these filters are heavy for a filter of their size (the 3614 made by Fram is their size, as is M1-102 made by Mobil).

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I am thinking of using each for more than one oil change for convenience.

The Bosch Distance Plus is a top tier filter, and will easily go two oil changes since it can hold lots of debris.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The Bosch Distance Plus is a top tier filter, and will easily go two oil changes since it can hold lots of debris.

I always cringe when I hear people talk about using a filter for 2 oil changes. Yes, the Distance+ filter may hold the dirt for another oil change...but then again it may not and you'll be running on bypass just letting dirty oil flow free. Is that really worth a few dollars?? Not to mention, you contaminate your fress oil with up to a quart of old dirty oil. Why?? You're under there anyway - change the filter!

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Some of the Bosch distance plus filters are actually PureOnes. That's about all I know about them. The Pure One PL20195 is one of the Bosch filters maybe even the 3330. There are posts on here about it.

Um... dude, not to ruffle feathers but if that's all you know about them... you literally know nothing about them. I have both of those and they ARE NOT THE SAME FILTER. Both have metal cans, media inside, and gaskets, but they are not the same.

My guess is that you are probably confusing the Bosch D+ filter in the semi-clear box and blue paint job that is available at Advance and Poop Boyz with the Bosch Premium

... that is available at Autozone in the black box with the black paint job. The D+ is like $13-14, the Bosch Premium is like $6-7. Completely different.

smile.gif

I'll take a pic of a bunch of the variants of the PL20195 filters tomorrow to highlight the differences.
smile.gif

Last edited:
But GM, if one filter will go 15,000 miles, why not? I think the old oil in the filter might not be significant. Waste not, want not, and if on a budget why waste resources?

But GM, if one filter will go 15,000 miles, why not? I think the old oil in the filter might not be significant. Waste not, want not, and if on a budget why waste resources?

I see your good point, indeed. My only reservation was can we be 100% certain that the filter will make the distance? If it can, fine but if it cannot, then you're risking your engine to save a few dollars. That was all I'm saying. I can accept contaminating your new oil with up to a quart of dirty old oil....but I stop at the thought of the oil filter not up to the job.

I guess there really is no "easy" way to tell if your oil filter is full and running in bypass.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I always cringe when I hear people talk about using a filter for 2 oil changes. Yes, the Distance+ filter may hold the dirt for another oil change...but then again it may not and you'll be running on bypass just letting dirty oil flow free. Is that really worth a few dollars?? Not to mention, you contaminate your fresh oil with up to a quart of old dirty oil. Why?? You're under there anyway - change the filter!

To you, Honda is totally wrong in recommending change oil filter only on second oil change for millions engines they produced every year for that last 10-15 years !

If you have a clean engine, free of sludge build up, IMO....a quality oil filter, like a K&N, D+, Mobil 1 etc..., could be used for 2 or 3 oil change intervals with no problems.

In fact, Gary, a highly regarded member of this forum, who has since passed, felt that the more material a filter caught, the better it filtered oil in your engine.

IMO....If you have a sludged up engine, it might be better to pass on running a filter past one short OCI.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I always cringe when I hear people talk about using a filter for 2 oil changes. Yes, the Distance+ filter may hold the dirt for another oil change...but then again it may not and you'll be running on bypass just letting dirty oil flow free. Is that really worth a few dollars?? Not to mention, you contaminate your fresh oil with up to a quart of old dirty oil. Why?? You're under there anyway - change the filter!

To you, Honda is totally wrong in recommending change oil filter only on second oil change for millions engines they produced every year for that last 10-15 years !

Don't forget Toyota has also recommended oil filter changes every other oil change.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO....If you have a sludged up engine, it might be better to pass on running a filter past one short OCI.

If an engine is fairly new and clean inside, then I see no problem running a long mileage filter for two 7500 mile oil changes. Yes, if the engine is old and dirty inside, then by all means change the filter every oil change and no use using an expensive oil filter either (use something like a Purolator Classic).

And what you know is wrong.

The PureONE and Bosch Premium reportedly have the same media, and that's it. The Premium and Distance Plus are not the same filter.

Music.... what do you think of the Distance + ?

I love 'em! Have used them on the MKX. I only get premium filters when they are on sale with an OC special, so I only have a couple.

Sidenote: I'm super bummed that my LS takes an oddball filter, the FL2021. None of the premium lines make a filter for it. Bosch Premium makes one, but it's identical to the Motorcraft which doesn't even spec a silicone adbv! Fram makes an Extra Guard, and there is an STP option, but I don't particularly like either of those. I'm stuck with the MCs.

It's crazy to me that my car uses the same filter specced on a bunch of Rolls Royces, and it is only a nitrile adbv!

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass

Um... dude, not to ruffle feathers but if that's all you know about them... you literally know nothing about them. I have both of those and they ARE NOT THE SAME FILTER. Both have metal cans, media inside, and gaskets, but they are not the same.

My guess is that you are probably confusing the Bosch D+ filter in the semi-clear box and blue paint job that is available at Advance and Poop Boyz with the Bosch Premium

I sit corrected.
lol.gif
I must have been confusing the two.

I've been running the Purolator Classic, especially with a Dino Diesel blend, and find that it fits my purpose fine in keeping my oil clean for 5-7K OCI with mostly highway, long distance driving.

If I were running back to back to back fills of Synthetic Oil....then I'd start using my stash of K&N, D+, Mobil 1 filters.

So for running quality Shell oils.....the Classic gives me great oil flow and filtration and the FilterMag will catch any Iron or Steel particles from wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back