Mobil 1 5w30 EP that much better than Mobil 1 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
There doesn't seem to be much information about Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

Is it much better than plain M1 5w30? Or just M1's answer for an extended drain oil.

I'm after wear protection and prefer 10,000mi OCI's.

It meets the dexos1 spec so that must show it is a great oil.

Which is greater of the two. That I would like to know.

smile.gif

They are very close. The new Mobil 1 SN formulations are all using the same additive chemistry. The EP is probably boosted a tad to handle 15k mile drains.

Good to see the regular 5w30 does exceptionally well in the IVA and IIIG wear tests.

One more note. A friend has been doing 15K with the SM version of 5-30EP. So far 140K and the engine runs great and remains very clean. So if the SN version lives up to the hype, longer OCIs are around the corner for me.(Maybe 12K) I have two jugs of 0-20 SN for my next OCs.

Originally Posted By: buster

Good to see the regular 5w30 does exceptionally well in the IVA and IIIG wear tests.

Would you mind sharing where you saw this ?
Thank you

As far as wear protection-Ive seen plenty of ball bearing scar tests where amsoil outprotects vs m1ep. [Four-Ball Wear Test @ 40 kgf, 75ºC, 1200 rpm, 1 hr, scar diameter, mm (ASTM D-4172)
0.35] I also read a long time ago EP was a base3 as it suspended the additive package better. I always found it interesting that the Amsoil tests always used Ep and not standard M1. There must have been a reason...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Regular M1 will do 10k OCI's.

They are very close. The new Mobil 1 SN formulations are all using the same additive chemistry. The EP is probably boosted a tad to handle 15k mile drains.

Maybe I'll just have to bump the OCI to 15K then! I'm all for longer OCI's as long as the oil can handle it.

Also, reason I prefer 10,000mi OCI is because I like to take my car to the track at least once a month.

Thanks for input, greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: mtxjohn
As far as wear protection-Ive seen plenty of ball bearing scar tests where amsoil outprotects vs m1ep. [Four-Ball Wear Test @ 40 kgf, 75ºC, 1200 rpm, 1 hr, scar diameter, mm (ASTM D-4172)
0.35] I also read a long time ago EP was a base3 as it suspended the additive package better. I always found it interesting that the Amsoil tests always used Ep and not standard M1. There must have been a reason...

Here is M1s answer to the 4 ball test.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Film_Strength.aspx

Originally Posted By: Peted

Maybe I'll just have to bump the OCI to 15K then! I'm all for longer OCI's as long as the oil can handle it.

Also, reason I prefer 10,000mi OCI is because I like to take my car to the track at least once a month.

No prob. If the Mobil 1 doesn't hold up, try Amsoil or Pennzoil Ultra.

How fast will you put 15k on?

There doesn't seem to be much information about Mobil 1 Extended Performance.

Is it much better than plain M1 5w30? Or just M1's answer for an extended drain oil.

I'm after wear protection and prefer 10,000mi OCI's.

It meets the dexos1 spec so that must show it is a great oil.

Which is greater of the two. That I would like to know.

smile.gif

Are you running 10k drain intervals on the camaro? If I follow my olm I will be right at 0% with 10k miles on this fill.

No prob. If the Mobil 1 doesn't hold up, try Amsoil or Pennzoil Ultra.

How fast will you put 15k on?

20,000 miles and I have owned the car for 10 months.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: mtxjohn

Here is M1s answer to the 4 ball test.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Film_Strength.aspx

And here is Amsoil's reply to a very similar test (pretty funny, actually):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5WXbj5jbN8

Originally Posted By: river_rat
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Mobil_1_Wear_Prevention.aspx

Not a credible source? It may be true, but the graph has no scale.

True they did not show a scale, but I would have to assume they drew the graph bars to proper scale, otherwise they could be challenged by competitors. If so, their results in the Seq IVA engine test are slightly over 25% of the specification (90 mg), which would put their result at roughly 25 mg. That's a very good number, and when test reproducibility is taken into account, no one can claim better.

Looks like they got the message on wear concerns with their last formulation and improved the wear properties in their SN offering. Good on them!

Tom NJ

I agree. They probably wanted to avoid a numbers game. I’m sure the graphs are scaled. Good move on their part to address those with concerns, especially considering the Valvoline incident. And with SN meeting the ACEA -08 spec, they should be better in every way to the SM formulation. ACEA -08 > ACEA -04.

From Mobil's website:

What is the difference between Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has an even more robust formula that has been proven in extensive field tests to help protect critical engine parts for 15,000 miles between oil changes. Guaranteed. We’ve selected specific synthetic components to deliver this outstanding level of performance.

...And with SN meeting the ACEA -08 spec, they should be better in every way to the SM formulation. ACEA -08 > ACEA -04.

Agreed.
No EP for me though. I'm stuck on 5K mile OCIs for warranty for the time being. No sense paying more for 15K mile oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back