Total Acid Number 0.63 mgKOH/g
viscosity -cP @ -10 c 2116
viscosity - cP 2 -20 c H4757
viscosity - cP @ -30 c H 12347
viscosity - cP @ - 40 c H 38246

API 35
Specific gravity @ 60/60 F .8501
Lb/Gal 7.080

Synthetic oil with boron-phosphorus ep package. Viscosity dose not meet Dexron and mercon low temperature requirements

BTW,I found this on a BMW board.It was posted by a Royal Purple tech.
I don't know how accurate this info is.

Thanks Alan!

You mentioned it doesn't meet Dex and Merc low temp requirements. This must be why shifting is so notchy when it's cold.

On most BMW boards, the consensus is that Redline D4 ATF is an excellent substitute, but should be replaced at short intervals like 15-30k miles.

I'm interested in Molokule's or some of the other BITOG wizards' thoughts as to:

1. Is D4 ATF a good substitute?

2. What else is?

3. Is there any magic to this MTF-LT-1? (Esso refuses to sell it to regular mutts like me, but you can buy it online at a few places for around $21 per litre).

I'm wondering if Molakule's SF sells anything that would be comparable.

Notably, I read a PDF of a tech sheet from Valvoline saying that Valvoline Mercon V is an appropriate replacement for this fluid. That attachment was accompanied by a letter from Valvoline to one of the BMW clubs confirming same.

If I'm OK using D4 ATF, that would be easiest and most cost effective (I can get it for $10/L about a block away from where I work).

I saw SF sells a fluid that supposed to be a replacement to BMW MTF-LT-2,a 75W-85 GL-4,5 lube.That is thicker then what is shown here for MTF-LT-1 which seems to be more or less an ATF.

I've seen many use RL D4 ATF and M1 ATF in place of LT-1 with no complaints.The suggested Valvoline Mercon V is an interesting option to these though.I'd like to see that PDF!

Old topic, new info

Redlines website recommends D4 Auto/Manual trans fluid as a best choice for a direct replacement. I think I will go for the MTL as it is a little thicker, as that will allow for some shearing over a longer OCI and Per member Double Vanos' recommendation.

From Redlines website product details:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=7

D4 ATF TYPICAL PROPERTIES

Vis @ 100°C, cSt 7.5
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 34
Viscosity Index 198
Pour Point, °C -60
Pour Point, °F -76
Flash Point, °C 225
Flash Point, °F 437
Brookfield Vis @ -40°C, P

MTL TYPICAL PROPERTIES

API Service Class GL 4
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil) 5W30
SAE Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil) 70W80
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 10.6
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 56.2
Viscosity Index 183
Pour Point, °C -50
Pour Point, °F -58
Flash Point, °C 232
Flash Point, °F 450
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, Poise 120

Also, Pennzoil's Synchromesh info:
http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Synchromesh Manual Trans Fluid.pdf
SYNCHROMESH FLUID
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
TYPICAL PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
TEST METHOD TYPICAL RESULTS
API Gravity 27.3
Flash Point, COC, 385°F
Pour Point, °F -50
Viscosity (ASTM D-445)
@ 40°C, cSt 41.6
@ 100°C, cSt 9.08
@ 100°F, SUS 209.4
@ 210°F, SUS 56.7
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270): 208

PENNZOIL® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is a synchromesh transmission fluid designed for certain manual transaxles and
manual transmissions used by General Motors or Chrysler. PENNZOIL® SYNCHROMESH FLUID is formulated with
high quality paraffinic base stocks, a fluidity modifier, multifunctional performance additives, corrosion inhibitors, a foam
suppressor and a shear stable viscosity index improver additive. It provides excellent oxidation stability, low temperature
performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper
components found in manual transaxles and transmissions. This product will satisfactorily lubricate General Motors or
Chrysler manual transaxles and transmissions from -40°C to +150°C.

On second thought, I might be going with the Synchromesh, again, I have used it in an earlier BMW, a 92 325i, and it did moderately improve the shifting in that trans, 175k, which was tired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back