Spark Plugs - is there a "Best" one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are soooooo many choices and so many brands since I went to automotive school in 73-75. All I ever had to deal with was "regular or resistor"?

For my 70 Mk III with a 460 - what plug is "best" for it? Please explain your recommendation, I'm trying to learn what's good now and why. I have a set of Autolite Platinum's in it right now.

Thanks guys!

btw, it's high compression engine, running premium, and I have the points replaced by a Pertronix II ignition module.

Last edited:
NGK is generally your best known premium spark plug brand that always delivers excellent performance in every vehicle, Denso is also a good plug company for Asian vehicles. Autolite platinum plugs are still very good plugs and will do just fine in there.

For Fords I like Autolites because the heat range should be exactly the same as Motorcraft. Comparing the same spark plug that the catalog says across brands the heat range is never exact.

So I suggest Autolite or Motorcraft for it.

The best plug is Denso SIP, which comes with small iridium center electrode and copper infused platinum ground electrode. However only new engine comes OEM with it and no aftermarket model.
Second best is the NGK/Denso racing plug, but the heat range may not suitable for daily driving.
For dd, the best maybe the Denso Iridium Power/Iridium Tough or NGK Iridium IX/Laser Iridium, depends on longer service or better ignition is priority. Champion iridium is also OK as long as the ceramic does not break into 2 pieces.
There are many other than above, but typically is only average performance or ridiculously expensive.

Iridium plugs are best, period. They will last 100k easy.

All other types of plugs will get the job done but will require shorter intervals of 60k down to every 30k for the el cheapo' brand.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Iridium plugs are best, period. They will last 100k easy.

All other types of plugs will get the job done but will require shorter intervals of 60k down to every 30k for the el cheapo' brand.

Not all iridium last 100k, the Denso Iridium Power/NGK Iridium IX only lasts 40-60K depends on the service interval and may be shorter if the car use wasted-spark ignition

I can't speak for Ford 460's, but for the small block Fords, plain cheap copper core Motorcraft or Autolite are best. The engines really don't like platinum plugs. Not saying it won't run, but the best performance for the engine type comes from a copper core plug with a wider gap from a hotter ignition coil.

Personally, I don't think there's a "best" plug. There is a "best for your application" plug.

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of platinum plugs, but in some applications they just don't work.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I can't speak for Ford 460's, but for the small block Fords, plain cheap copper core Motorcraft or Autolite are best. The engines really don't like platinum plugs. Not saying it won't run, but the best performance for the engine type comes from a copper core plug with a wider gap from a hotter ignition coil.

Personally, I don't think there's a "best" plug. There is a "best for your application" plug. Yes indeedy. John--Las Vegas

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of platinum plugs, but in some applications they just don't work.

I disagree that the best is OE spec,
I also disagree on a plug brand being "the best"

Spark plugs are like oil, depends on your application.

My 4.0 WJ (and every body else's) only works good with any kind of life span with the cheap CHAMPION copper cores.

My ZJ 5.2 on the other hand works best with BOSCH platinum.

There are many good spark plugs out there, but a sa general rule NGK are the best. With the Iridium the best of breed...
19.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS4MV2pELyU&feature=related

There are only 3 brands I seriously consider: NGK, Champion, and Autolite. Some people love or hate one or the other with a passion but I find them all very comparable and save my passionate hatred for Bosch. :) I seem to recall that Autolite changed ownership recently so who knows what the future holds there.

As far as whether to use copper, platinum, or iridium, go with the manufacturers recommendation. If its a waste-spark system, go with DOUBLE platinum or iridium, otherwise half the cylinders don't get the benefit.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Some people love or hate one or the other with a passion but I find them all very comparable and save my passionate hatred for Bosch. :)

I shared the same hatred, most Bosch plug only work with high performance coil. On many cars, this means more problems. That is why I like Denso and NGK, since they require less voltage, reliable and lot of variety to fit many cars, except the Denso SIP range

Agree with there not being one universal best plug. There is generally a best plug for each application though. As noted, I have Jeep Cherokee that likes plain old champion copper core plugs - changed every 30,000. The modular engines in the Ford trucks seem to throw misfire codes when non-motorcraft or autolite plugs are used. Double platinum plugs are the correct plugs in that application.

I'd suspect a plain old copper autolite or motorcraft plug is the best bet in your appplication.

As a brand, NGK.. But applications differ greatly.
For my Neon I always ran Champs. Most people dislike them, but Chrysler people use Champs. For everything else so far I've used NGK.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Some people love or hate one or the other with a passion but I find them all very comparable and save my passionate hatred for Bosch. :)

I shared the same hatred, most Bosch plug only work with high performance coil. On many cars, this means more problems. That is why I like Denso and NGK, since they require less voltage, reliable and lot of variety to fit many cars, except the Denso SIP range

NGK didn't work very well in my E430, it lasted only 30-35k miles. OEM plugs were Bosch and looked as new after 80+k miles, and I had to install new Bosch for it again last year.

NGK seems to work very well for most engines but not so good in German engines.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie

Personally, I don't think there's a "best" plug. There is a "best for your application" plug.

Agree 100%

For a Ford, buy motorcraft- I am a big fan of OEM parts when it comes to spark plugs.

The only thing I can say for certain is to stay away from the gimmick plugs like Pulstar.

With that being said, I have had good results with Autolite, AC Delco, Bosch and Denso. NGK gets a good reputation too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back