Best place for 4 new tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of my domestic vehicles have specified 100 ft-lbs. My Honda (80 ft-lbs) and Toyota (76 ft-lbs) vehicles have been the only ones I've owned that wanted less than 100.

I went into DT a few weeks ago.

I told them I wanted this tire, and handed them a Tire rack print out.

They ordered them for me, beat tire racks price and 3 days later I had the tires I wanted installed in about 35 minutes.

I do not like that they put the PSI what the door placard said, as they are oversized light truck tires instead of Passenger extra load tires like the door placard says, but I carry a compressor, so no big deal.

I also have 2 aftermarket rims with slightly oversized centers. I like to keep both either on the back or the front, and they cris crossed them. I rotated them in my driveway and found all the bolts were torqued the same.

I also prefer Discount Tire. As others have said in the thread, they're not the absolute lowest prices, but their prices are good. They have a wide selection of tires, knowledgeable sales people and rotate and balance for free. In our area, the wait times for rotations are generally good. Their showrooms are a decent place to wait for installation or rotations and they have a free coffee service. They also offer ride guarantees on their tires.

I ended up going to NTB, they currently have a buy 2 get 2 free on select brands. But to get the b2g2 you have to buy their premium services. NTB carries the YOKOHAMA Avid TRZ, made in USA, (700AB) for $130 per tire. Which is highway robbery because discounttiredirect_dot_com has the same tire for $82.

The final price was $550 with tax included. Here is what they gave me:
  • x2 YOKOHAMA Avid TRZ 700AB Speed(T) 11/32" 80,000 Miles
  • x2 YOKOHAMA Avid TRZ FREE
  • Lifetime rotation and balancing
  • Lifetime flat repair
  • 1 year full 4 wheel alignment
  • x3 roadside assistance

The only reason I went with NTB was because of the 3 lifetime services on the tires. And the 1 year alignment. I knew there was a problem with the rear passenger and surely they told me its pretty severe. I need to buy a "toe alignment bolt" before they will attempt to make anymore adjustments.

Here is what it would look like if I had bought the tires from DTD:
  • $328 x4 YOKOHAMA Avid TRZ @ $82 per tire
  • $0 No Tax
  • $0 Free shipping
  • $60 x4 mount and balance @ $15 per tire
  • $388 TOTAL

$550 - $388 = $162 SAVINGS

But the 1 year alignment (over $80 value), premium lifetime maintenance services, and road assistance is worth well over $162. I'm already saving money on the alignment because once I get the "toe alignment bolt" I'll have to get the wheels aligned again. My factory Bridgestone Insignia tires were so beat down because I only rotated the tires twice in 55k miles. The premium maintenance services should keep my new YOKOHAMAs in good shape a while.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
...buy 2 get 2 free...you have to buy their premium services...$130 per tire...discounttiredirect_dot_com has the same tire for $82

So I'd say the third and fourth tires aren't really free.
confused.gif

Didn't your mother teach you that if it sounds too good to be true that it probably is?

Very true even Pepboys' buy 3 get 1 deal has stipulations like you have buy premium mounting services. But the way I see it is I still paid the price of 4 tires but cost of 2 tires got me a premium maintenance services so I never have to rotate the tires myself. Lifetime rotation every 5K until the tires get to 2/32'. Having lifetime balancing, which I can't do myself, will ensure proper tire wear and a quiet ride. And their going to fix my alignment problem for me, also something I can't do myself. Alignments are usually $80 each time.

Last edited:
In my side of town Sams offers the best deal hands down. When I was shopping for Michelins, no one could touch Sams price, and I called Sears, Hibdon, Robinsons, etc. In fact, even if I include the $40 membership to the price of the 4 tires, SAMs was still the best.

I just purchased my fourth set of tires from Discount Tire Direct. They are simply fantastic.

Beat every price by far, no tax, no shipping!

They are the BOMB!

firestone seems to offer b3g1 in the fall. It's hard to beat their price on this sale when it hits, around here. Big 10, sears, wal-mart is the competition. I have noticed that wal-mart carries low-end michelins (which scare me after "marrying into" a set), a few other makes, and a line of firestone tires that firestone themselves do not sell at their shops. I'll avoid wal-mart. Big 10 always charges more than firestone, and after doing tire business with both, having both bad and good experiences with both, I go with the guy that always quotes lower (big 10 would price match every time).

M

I've bought tires at Sam's for the last few times, and probably will again. If I don't add road hazard protection to Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct purchase, I can usually beat Sam's price by a few dollars/tire. If I add road hazard protection, Sam's is always cheaper. Either way, I'd rather buy tires from a brick-and-mortar store with face-to-face support.

You may wish to note that the last set of Michelin LTX MS2's I bought from DTD were LESS than Tire Kingdoms wholesale cost!

No tax is 7% right there for me. Not insignificant. No shipping either.

And the last time I had an issue they sent me another new tire no questions asked! I simply set the old one out for the UPS man.

You have to shop around.

Discount tire worked for me on the PT Cruiser. They had the size and brand I wanted and matched Treadepot's price

Treadepot works better for the Mazda. They have more brands availiable in the size I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back