Warren Oil 5W-40- cheap oil with the approvals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found an alternative euro oil with the formal German approvals. It's sold under a few different names, Lubrigold, Coastal, Service Pro. Iirc, a lot of Honda and Toyota dealers around here use their 0W-20. Found a local distributor through the Service Pro site. $28 for a 6qt case.

It's also immensely easy to get information from this company. The last four lines aren't in the data sheet. Operator gave me the number of an engineer who put me on speaker and dug up the docs submitted to MB as part of the approval.

SAE Grade 5W-40
API Gravity @
60°F 35.0
Sp. Gr. @ 60°F 0.852
Flash, COC, °F 405
Pour Pt., °F -35
Viscosity,
cSt @ 40°C 86.0
cSt @ 100°C 14.2
Viscosity Index 171
TBN 10
HTHS 3.7
Low-temp MRV 34500@-35
Phosphorous 980ppm

Interesting.

The larger maker of inexpensive bulk and store-brand oil getting into the very specialized 'Euro Spec' market.

Didn't think they would have bothered.

Not just Euro. SN syn, SN HM syn blend, dexos 1 Syn.

Having said all this, I think I'm going to pass on this oil. The HTHS visc is rather unimpressive considering the kinematic.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Not just Euro. SN syn, SN HM syn blend, dexos 1 Syn.

Having said all this, I think I'm going to pass on this oil. The HTHS visc is rather unimpressive considering the kinematic.

Euro oils have MPG requirements.

You'll have to pass on M1 0w40 and M1 TDT 5w40 too then (even being CJ-4)... and almost every other 5w40.

You misunderstood what I wrote. I want an oil with a strong HTHS (>3.5). My issue with this one is that Warren is using a baseoil that needs to have a kinematic visc of 14.2 to achieve an HTHS of 3.7, raising questions about the quality of the base. Compare that with M1 0W-40 which has a kinematic visc of 13.5 and HTHS visc 3.8. Then there's the comparison of low temp pumpability.

Last edited:
You misunderstood what I wrote. I want an oil with a strong HTHS (>3.5). My issue with this one is that Warren is using a baseoil that needs to have a kinematic visc of 14.2 to achieve an HTHS of 3.7, raising questions about the quality of the base. Compare that with M1 0W-40 which has a kinematic visc of 13.5 and HTHS visc 3.8. Then there's the comparison of low temp pumpability.

And TDT with 14.5 cSt and 3.8 HTHS....

Originally Posted By: BobFout

And TDT with 14.5 cSt and 3.8 HTHS....

That's right. TDT is a hard sell as a PCMO now against the most recent 0W-40 reformulation.

Advance Auto has been selling their store brand Synthetic Oil for almost 2 years now.

IMO.....Advance Auto Store Branded Full Synthetic is a Great Oil, especially when they have it on sale. I've never seen a store brand Synthetic at Auto Zone. Only one at Auto Zone has been the conventional oil.

We sell Service Pro brand oils and have moved a fair amount of this 5w-40. I've not used it myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to do so. I have four cases of the 0w-20 on hand for use in my car this winter, andI've been running it in my girlfriends 06 Freestyle this summer and it works great. We move a lot, and I mean a lot of their dexos1 full synthetic oil. A huge local Chevrolet dealer buys it from us usually 4-8 drums at a time, several times a month. Good stuff, and it costs about the same as name brand conventional oil.

Who buys the 5W-40, dealers or individuals? I'm going to try the 0W-20 in the TL next time.

Last edited:
Most of our customers are oil change shops, mechanics, dealers and parts stores. We do sell to the public, but we don't advertise that we do, so sales to the public are fairly minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back