Delvac 1 5w40, 5k miles, ‘96 Lexus LX450 4.5L IFZ-FE ( FZJ-80 Toyota Land Cruiser)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used vehicle purchased in February. This is the first UOA I have for this vehicle. Previous 2 owners gave it 106K of normal dino oil changes, I did 2 short OCI’s with chevron Delo 15w40 one 500 the other 1500 miles. Then a 3k OCI with Delvac 1, ( have sample, have not sent it in ) , and then this 5k OCI, I do not have the exact time in use but it was around 3 months,

2 doses of Redline fuel system cleaner in consecutive fillips near the end, one of the 2 make up quarts was Mobil 1 5w40 T&S. sump has seven-quart capacity. Toyota 20002 filter used, nothing found in filter but oil, using Toyota paper air filter, the PO had a K&N installed witch was removed shortly after discovery

The cruiser is my daily driver has a ~35 mile one way commute, almost all of witch is freeway, did some mild off pavement stuff (nothing strenuous) and some very short around town towing this summer

I did remove the valve cover to check the valve clearance (DOHC) I don’t think I contaminated the engine.

I do have a heavy foot, tend to speed everywhere I go, on the way to work (majority of miles, maybe 75%? ) I set the cruise @ 75-80

-

Not sure what to make of this, my previous vehicle had high lead as well although much higher, wonder is there is something in the gas around here? I may have to switch stations

Mobil 1 15w50 was put in at this oil change, I had it arround so decided to put it in for a short OCI to see how it does this fall, after that will be Mobil 1 0w40 for the winter

dunno.gif
Any idea’s on the lead?

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
What is your driving style? Do you hammer on it?

sometimes I'll put my foot in it but not much happens, 5k pound SUV with an inline 6, truck has some nice low end grunt but not much power after that or on the highway, my previous vehicle had an 8.1L big block so maybe I am just spoiled

Its an O.K. sample for sure. More than the lead I'm looking at the Tin..I'd be worried more about that than the lead. But I wouldn't worry about either really. I think the 15W-50 is way to thick personally.

I might suggest a mixture of 10W-30 and 15W-50 M1 . Like maybe 2 quarts of the 15W-50. What viscosity is called for???

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
It’s an O.K. sample for sure. More than the lead I'm looking at the Tin..I'd be worried more about that than the lead. But I wouldn't worry about either really.

Yes if it is trends down I'll be ok with it as a minor temporary spike, I am hoping I am looking at cleaning action of wear metal holding deposits and not current wear, if it goes up or stays the same? Hmmm?

quote:

I think the 15W-50 is way to thick personally.

I might suggest a mixture of 10W-30 and 15W-50 M1 . Like maybe 2 quarts of the 15W-50. What viscosity is called for???

From what I have read this motor tends towards 40wts even in cooler climates than mine, I’ll have to see what it really likes

15-50 is at the top end of the scale for my climate, I had 10qts of it that I bought as an experiment to see if it would help with the lead problem in my Chevy, never got a chance to try it out. This time of year I can expect temps in the upper 60's to low 90's, when the cooler weather comes I'll drop in the 0w40

In the US 10w30 for all temps above above 0*f and 5w30 for all temps below 100*f with the 5w30 being the “recommended” weight, in other markets with identical engine made in the same Japanese plant you can use 5w30 through 20w50 depending on ambient temperature, interestingly enough in foreign markets the “recommended” 5w30 is only to be used in cool/cold weather below 50*f

Australian oil recommendations in *C (*F) I think the specs are the same in South America, Japan, Africa, and the Middle East (major markets for the engine) but not 100% sure, I would like to find this info for sure

Engine
Petrol (1FZ-FE)
20W/50 -7 to 38 (19 to 100)
15W/40 -12 to 38 (10 to 100)
10W/30 -18 to 38 (0 to 100)
5W/30 -29 to 10 (-20 to 50)

quote:

Originally posted by deepsquat:
automatic or 5 speed?

4-speed electronic controlled automatic, a manual transmission was not available in the US on this model

Run a few tanks of that shell V Power.I for one think the 15/50 should bring down the wear #'s . They are not real bad but I was going to suggest the 15/50 before the cold weather or the Rotella 5/40 if you think it may improve on the wt your already using. I like Delo 15/40 better also. Another thought would be Mobil 1 0/40 with a qt of Redline.
grin.gif

I screwed up the title, it should be 1FZ-FE

dropitby, why do you think a diffrent brand of gas would help? I currently run Chevron supreme

15W50 is going to work well in it! M1 15W50 works out great Ga. ! I would consider doing at least on Auto-Rx treatment on it. It would be a good idea to get any built up contaminets out of the engine. Seeing how it has 100,000 miles of dino oil changes in a hot, humid environement it is hard to tell how much of that lead is recent and how much is left over from the other owners!

I thought you said there might be something in the gas around there. I used a few tanks of V power and did seem to get better mileage.I agree with Browning about the Auto RX but it is used best with mineral oil so if you don't do a complete cleaning put some in even with synthetic .I would do it 2000 miles before you drain.
smile.gif

The truck doesn't need the 15w-50, the lead is probably high from the FI cleaner. Even with the slightly high lead numbers, it is still a good report. If you don't believe me about the 40w being great see my two UOA's with M1 0w-40 on this same engine, one with 5500 miles and one with 9000.

As a sidenote, I have to wonder if the Mobil 1 T&S is not up to par with Delvac 1.

Cary

quote:

Originally posted by Cary:
As a sidenote, I have to wonder if the Mobil 1 T&S is not up to par with Delvac 1.

Cary

I have been reading and cannot get a good anwser on if they are the same or not, some say yes some say no,

I was out of Delvac and did not want to make the 2 hour round trip to get more just to top off, It was not in there long (less than 1K) if it is not the same it should at least be safe to mix?

I know my toyota 7M-GTE inline 6 in my supra loves mobil 1 15w-50, I've been waiting for something to blow up so I can justify an uprgrade, problem is it keeps taking everything I throw at it. If your in a warm climate I would not hesitate to to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back