Does Seafoam remove moisture from the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the label of Seafoam fuel additive it says that, among other things, it removes moisture from the motor oil. If anyone knows whether or not this is true, please reply.

yea, allegedly the IPA (Isopropanol - basically 100% Hydrogen Peroxide, without the water....) in Seafoam is what helps to remove moisture.....now if you got a serious "coolant leak" or something lol, I don't think it'll do anything about that....but "cold weather" precipitation/dew/moisture, it should help to dissipate....

Originally Posted By: ahoier
yea, allegedly the IPA (Isopropanol - basically 100% Hydrogen Peroxide, without the water....) in Seafoam is what helps to remove moisture.....now if you got a serious "coolant leak" or something lol, I don't think it'll do anything about that....but "cold weather" precipitation/dew/moisture, it should help to dissipate....

Really?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: ahoier

Really?

Hmmmm. Last time I checked, Hydrogen Peroxide was H2O2 and Isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) was C3H8O. If you take the water out of hydrogen peroxide, you are left with an oxygen atom. That's a long way from C3H8O.

Originally Posted By: Tantalus
On the label of Seafoam fuel additive it says that, among other things, it removes moisture from the motor oil. If anyone knows whether or not this is true, please reply.

As noted already, give the car a good long drive and the heat from the engine oil/block will evaporate any water in the oil sump.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Driving your car for extended periods removes moisture from the oil, no additives necessary.

I have read and heard that, too.

The further you actually commute to a job that is 5 to 15miles away is better on removing the little moisture that is found in the crankcase. The shorter the trips back and forth between a job per-say is more likely to have havoc on a automobile's engine. Some may say differently, but I am pretty sure that's no myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back