2004 Volkswagen Golf TDI, Spec. 505.01 oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally ANY CJ rated oil will exceed the 505.01 spec. Pick your flavor. I use M1 0W-40 for my 2001 TDI, and when it's not a good price, or I find a screaming deal, I'll run a 15W-40 in the summer.

Originally Posted By: Invasivore
What does this 505.01 spec entail that makes it such a requirement according to VW?

Pumpe-Deusse (spelling?) is the type of rail injector system engine that calls for the 505.01 spec.
Has to do with high pressure wearing of the cams/lifters.
Lots and lots to read on tdiclub.com about the issue.
Many insist on the spec, others swear by "their" oil.
Like I said, lots to read.

After doing some research, it seems that the only reason for 505.01 is to protect the catalytic converter. good ol CJ-4 has high zddp which actually should be better for the cam. Maybe the reason the cams have been wearing out is the 505.01 oil does not have the high zddp which is good for the flat tappet.

Last edited:
I've never had the PD TDI, and had the earlier ALH thankfully. But from what I've read, by design, these engines experience accelerated cam lobe wear. The 505.01 spec anecdotally seems to accelerate the rate of this wear, while again, anecdotally, users of T6 or M1-TDT seem to find these oils slow this wear rate significantly. If I had a PD, I would lean to using T6 myself, but the Valvoline likely would serve you well also. And when the inevitable wear happens that it needs to be repaired, you should look into an aftermarket redesign which is supposed to eliminate this problem.

To make room for the unit injector cam lobes VW changed an old engine design and made the valve cam lobes narrower increasing the stress on them and used spec oil as a band aid for a poor design. Dan

I run Rotella T6 synthetic in the wife's Pumpe Duese TDI. Engine seems a little quieter than it did on the Castrol 505.01.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back