A new source for SP III ATF outside of the dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this from the local NAPA rep the other day. The wording makes it out to be a improvement on the O.E.M. stuff??

SDC105941992x1328.jpg

SDC105931328x1992.jpg

Really?

I guess living in small town Iowa has it's disadvantages... Our local NAPA changed owners recently and they have been making available products that other parts stores don't have.

D3? Are you referring to Redline? I suggested this more as a warranty compliance deal, or for those who wish to stick as close to the book as possible. I guess there is the Beck Arnley stuff as well...

I tried Eneos SP3; it wasn't an improvement over OEM at all. Currently using Red Line D4 and it's pretty close to optimal. The most profound improvement was with the tiptronic shifting, it was really subpar with the OEM fluid. I thought the transmission had some funky tiptronic shifting settings but it performs great with the D4 in it.

D3 is Dexron 3 btw.

Originally Posted By: cmf
I tried Eneos SP3; it wasn't an improvement over OEM at all. Currently using Red Line D4 and it's pretty close to optimal. The most profound improvement was with the tiptronic shifting, it was really subpar with the OEM fluid. I thought the transmission had some funky tiptronic shifting settings but it performs great with the D4 in it.

D3 is Dexron 3 btw.

Would you explain "tiptronic" shifting please? Also, what was undesirable about the shifting with SP III? Was it just too notchy?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Would you explain "tiptronic" shifting please? Also, what was undesirable about the shifting with SP III? Was it just too notchy?

Tiptronic shifting is where the automatic transmission has the gate where you can manually shift up and down gears.(or sometimes 2 buttons)
its also called manumatic

Never heard notchy ever applied to an automatic.
I'm guessing it shifted gears wierd.. like odd delays etc

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Tiptronic shifting is where the automatic transmission has the gate where you can manually shift up and down gears.(or sometimes 2 buttons)
its also called manumatic

Never heard notchy ever applied to an automatic.
I'm guessing it shifted gears wierd.. like odd delays etc

I think I see, it must have been delayed - as if it was supposed to be shifted manually?

You're right, notchy probably wasn't the best word. Maybe harsh or sluggish?

I wonder if it has markers in the fluid, similar to OEM. That's the only thing that is stopping me from going aftermarket in Spectra.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
I wonder if it has markers in the fluid, similar to OEM. That's the only thing that is stopping me from going aftermarket in Spectra.

That's a good question. If I had to speculate, I'd say no. Chemical tracers tend be an OEM thing by my understanding.

The tiptronic shifting with the SP3 didn't grab fast enough and if you were flooring it it was really profound. And then downshifting would jerk the car. It was confusing because it's not grabbing fast enough up-shifting and grabbing too fast downshifting.

The shifting algorithm for regular automatic functioning has a pause before re-engaging. When the transmission is in tiptronic mode it shifts gears immediately. I really thought it was just the transmission unit but the D4 has completely solved both problems. It grabs normally when accelerating and doesn't jerk the car downshifting. Regular automatic mode is smoother, but not as profound as the difference with tiptronic.

Very interesting. I'll keep that in mind. I know mine was shifting a little funky, especially 2-3 before I found out there was a TCM reflash. After that, it's pretty much normal now. Still not my idea of ideal, but good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back