No Zerks--greasing options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What to do? My 2005 Mountineer steering linkage and ball joints have the rubber bags but they are limp, i.e., not much if any grease in them. There are no zerk fittings, nor plugs to replace with zerks, so what to do? Anybody manage to grease these joints some other way short of taking them apart? I thought about poking a needle grease gun fitting thru the bag and then trying to patch the hole, but it seems like a bad idea, but is it any worse than the typically blow out grease bag caused by the overzealous grease gun weilding knucklehead (like me) who pumps them too full anyway?

I usually leave them alone but, and lot's of people won't agree with doing this but, there is a needle available for your grease gun and the needle itself punctures the rubber boot and lets in some grease when you squeeze the handle on the grease gun but, it doesn't get into the ball or joint as it would going through the ZERK, only on top so, I not sure what good it's doing. Maybe with movement and heat, the grease works it's way into the joint, IDK!

I have used the grease needle method on old cars with cracked boots, but would hesitate to puncture an intact boot. Is there a way to work a needle in around the edge of a boot?

I used to have a Duster that came from the factory with plugs where zerks should have been. The boots were mostly demolished by the time I bought it, so I wrapped them with duct tape, replaced the plugs with zerks, and greased it up.

Some are able to slip the needle under the band of the boot and get grease in. I've heard stories of folks drilling and tapping joints to add zerks.

As an owner of myopia 20-30 year old vehicles with permanently sealed parts, I can tell you that they are not preventing you to get to 200-250k on original parts...

I've have VERY poor sucess with the needle type injection. As stated, you can't get the grease to where it is needed. The moly in the ball joint type grease is what does the lubracating and only a very thin film is needed. Leave the joint alone.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I've have VERY poor sucess with the needle type injection. As stated, you can't get the grease to where it is needed. The moly in the ball joint type grease is what does the lubracating and only a very thin film is needed. Leave the joint alone.

ditto. Modern zerkless joints are great in real life.

But it IS your car, and sometimes we can drill a hole and screw the tapered grease fitting in. [where it normally would be]

Wait until your ball joints have play in them, and then replace with new ones.

Don't worry about your bag going limp, that's normal with age...
lol.gif

Go for it ....First are they squeeking??? then hit it ......if not ,disregard, you may eventually need to bite the bullet and replace with greaseable fittings.

I decided to rejoice in the fact that I have no grease fittings. I always hated having to grease the steering linkage etc. It's a dirty job. Really this is a blessing in disguise, and likely will last longer because it is sealed.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Go for it ....First are they squeeking??? then hit it ......if not ,disregard, you may eventually need to bite the bullet and replace with greaseable fittings.

Do this. A family member had a F150 that would loudly creak. No zerks, no problem. Got the needle, injected some grease and all has been quiet for a few years now. I can get the details on how and where he greased if you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back