Firestone Destination A/T ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one case where I'm a lot more likely to believe Tire Rack's reviews than most - it's not like people are going to get them confused with a first-generation tire (like a lot of people obviously did in the early Tire Rack reviews of the Revo 2) or another model in the Firestone line (like seems to happen with all the different Goodyear Assurance tires). Plus, Bridgestone/Firestone is certainly a reputable brand. I say go for it.

I put those tires on my Nissan Truck for the snowy winters here in MI. For the break-in period (~500 miles) it felt like I was driving on gravel roads, I could feel everything on that pavement. But afterwards, it ran really nice and I loved em!
banana2.gif

They are fantastic in the rain and snow (including deep snow). The treadwear is fantastic. I had them rotated just once during the 3-yrs I had them (sold truck) and their tread still look brand=spankin new (driving ~1.5k mi/month). I have no regrets getting them!
thumbsup2.gif

They are our now standard repalcement tire on work vehicles in the SUV and Pickup truck variety. Excellent winter performance for an AT tire in the snow, and they do well in the rain, with a reasonable pricepoint. Treadwear is OK - depends on the vehicle, but 40k is well within reach on most, and 50k can be had in our fleet.

I picked up a set to put on my '04 F150 before this winter. I was a die-hard Bridgestone REVO user in that application, but they work very well at work, so I saved some coin.

I put them on my 2005 Toyota Tacoma when it was almost new since the factory tires were garbage. I put about 45K miles on them and still had plenty of life left in them before I traded the truck in. They were great in the rain. I bought them because of the positive reviews on Tire Rack and would buy them again.

Eosyn - any idea how their snow performance compares to something like a performance winter tire? I still haven't completely ruled out the idea of putting Destination A/Ts on my RAV4 this fall, though I'm likely going to get a set of Nokian WR G2 SUVs.

These tires came factory installed on my Tacoma. So far I've got 52k on them and the tread depth still comes to Lincoln's head using the penny test. I've never rotated them.

Very good in the rain and snow, no problems to report. I'd buy them again if the price was right.

I'll bite on the deidcated snow tire comparison question. They are not as good as a set of dedicated snows, but they do very well - one of the better AT tires I've used in the snow.

If you need the extra bite in the non-snow season (off road usage of one sort or another), I wouldn't hesitate to use them. If not, I'd go the dedicated snow tire route (I did on my '97 Explorer - street tires 7+ months of the year, snows the rest of the time.

That's the thing - I'm not looking at a hard-core dedicated winter tire. Toyota made it a flaming PITA to swap wheels for winter with the first three years of the current RAV4, so unless I want to pay the stealership to reprogram my alternate TPMS IDs twice a year (or take a stab at finding Orange Electronics' sensors that can supposedly be programmed with whatever code you want to give them) I'm stuck with running the same tires year-round. The Nokian seems like the best I'd be able to do, but I'd be driving over an hour to Tires By Web's brick-and-mortar store to get them installed, where the nearest Firestone dealer is five miles from my house. Nokian doesn't call them as such, but it seems like the WR G2 fits pretty neatly into the performance winter market segment, with the added benefit that they're warrantied for year-round use.

Sometimes I think I should get a part time sales job at a tire store. Then I remember that my own decision making process with tires usually carries on for several months before I buy, and trying to give advice to others doesn't seem like such a hot idea...

I have a set on my Jeep, in rain and snow and ice they are excellent. Off-road performance is just as good. As long as your not trying to do something your vehicle cant do gravel, sand, mud, clay isnt much of a problem.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Eosyn - any idea how their snow performance compares to something like a performance winter tire? I still haven't completely ruled out the idea of putting Destination A/Ts on my RAV4 this fall, though I'm likely going to get a set of Nokian WR G2 SUVs.

Sorry, but I've never ever used snow tires so I can't say how the AT's will compare.
frown.gif
I can say these are excellent tires for year round usage.

ps. I got all 4 of mine at firestone car care center for the price of 3. For my app, it was the smallest tires they had so it cost me $71/tire, ~$83 installed so it cost me less than $300 out the door. I'd call firestone car care and see if the manager will give you that deal (4 for price of 3) or some other kind of deal. At least the one I went to (in Jackson), they were eager to give me a great deal.

Last edited:
The Destinations A/Ts are good tires. I'd seriously consider the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos though as they're excellent. Can't comment on snow.

I went with Revos on the 2wd jeep. I gave the Destination ATs a good, hard look, but since I am limited to 2wd went with the more aggressive revo. I do "play" from time to time and dislike getting stuck. If it weren't for that, it would have been the AT's, hands-down.

That said, the Rav-4 is a probably a little lighter on its feet, so for snow traction the Destination ATs may not bite as much as REVOs. But, the Rav has engine weight over the drive wheels, an advantage.

For snow, a heavily siped tire will give more bite more than big tread blocks, which is how the Michelin LTX M&S tires do so well. The Goodrich Traction TA's do pretty well as well in the snow-- we had them on a crv, but Dueler HL's outdid those in the dry (never had the HLs in the snow).

Revo's eat mpg... it's all over the reviews, and my personal experience is the same. They put enough of a drag on the car that the trans actually hunts more for gear. NOT a tire for mpg.

So--- in my mind the Destination AT wouldn't be a bad tire at all, though you do have other options. Also compare to the Destination LE.... I've had 2 sets, including a brand new set on the wife's MDX. It's a very good tire for not a lot of money. Our first set this go-round had a flaw... the tread "walked" and on one, and on my second return to the shop they replaced all 4 under their 30-day satisfaction guarantee and this set has been great. That guarantee is nice.

But, they will not compare to a snowflake tire-- and if the rubber is too stiff for the weight on the vehicle may not be optimal in snow, but IMO it's a good tire. It may handle a little firm, which is subject to your tastes.

M

Last edited:
I've had both tires, the Revo's and the destination A/T's

The destination's do NOT compare to the Revo's in the snow/ice; if you're looking for a tire that can very safely do it all, get the Revo's hands-down best A/T tire for the money and very capable of snow/ice.

The destination a/t's were simply *ok* in Colorado's snow anyways, they were not all that great on ice period. I've had 2 sets of Revo's on a 4x2 truck, they were GREAT...never got stuck and never slid.

Thanks for the insight meep. My current tire is a 235/65R17 108H XL Continental CrossContact LX - they were pretty good for southeastern Pennsylvania winters, but we have snow/packed snow/ice on the pavement a fair sight more in Michigan than I saw there. The Continentals are actually heavier than the Destination A/T in the same size, and being that they're H-rated (as opposed to the T-rated Firestone) I actually might expect the ride and handling to be a little lighter with the Firestones.

Still, you make a valid point with the fact that the Nokian has passed the ASTM test to get the mountain & snowflake on the sidewall. Even if its tread compound is close to that of an all-season, I'd bet that it's optimized more for ice grip than the tread on the Firestones.

Sorry for the semi-hijack Keith - at least my conversation still involved the Destination A/T.
laugh.gif

Just an FYI.

There has been a recent change in the usage of the "Snowflake" symbol. It can only be used for true winter tires. It can NOT be used for all terrain and agressive all season tires.

There was a grandfather clause that allowed previously branded tires to continue to use the symbol, but it is NOT allowed on new stuff.

So what do you mean by 'true winter tire'? From what I've seen, most performance winter tires don't look to be made with a cellular tread compound (they basically look like all-seasons with more aggressive block shapes and denser siping). Would anything that receives a UTQG wear rating be ineligible for the snowflake under the new standard?

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Just an FYI.

There has been a recent change in the usage of the "Snowflake" symbol. It can only be used for true winter tires. It can NOT be used for all terrain and agressive all season tires.

There was a grandfather clause that allowed previously branded tires to continue to use the symbol, but it is NOT allowed on new stuff.

This is a retraction of the above.

I found out that the Canadians have been unable to resolve the technical issues involved so the regulations remains in effect as is.

That is: The symbol is still strictly performance based and all season and all terrain tires are still eligible.

One word of caution: Many tires the COULD pass the test aren't being labeled, because the Europeans do not like the symbol. Kind of a "Not invented here!" thing. You know: [french accent] Doz zilly canadiens. sinking dey french. We'll show dem! [/french accent]

A snowflake tire is not the end all be all IMO.

Have a set of BFG All Terrrain T/A KO tires on my 4x2 Mazda...not very good in the winter (winters are 5-6 months long)....got stuck 10 times one winter. Went to a set of studded Arctic Claw TXI (cheap) that were much better.

A set of studded General Altimax Arctic are quite good on my 4x4 Ranger. Excellent value IMO.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back