Any oil additives quiet down lifter noise on 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I'll second the Schaeffer Moly 132. A friend mentioned to me that he had a good bit of racket in his 4.0, and I sold him a bottle for one of his oil changes, and he was very happy with the results. He buys a bottle for every oil change now. I have no idea what oil he was using, but I recommended 15W-40 to him for the summer and Maxlife 10W-40 for our mild winters. He's using the 132 in his 2000 Silverado now too and likes the results. You might try the Lubro-Moly MOS2 additive from NAPA. Either one is about $6 or so.

how much schaeffer moly 132 cost ? and about MOS2 from napa, I search on their site and nothing came up, reason I dont want drive to the store without checking the there site first, napa store is 40 min away.

I'm sure we [censored] over on jeepforum aswell, nut do you still have a tick after going to T5 ? When did you switch to T5?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I did a search last couple day, and many peoples with 4.0L was talking about this " infamous jeep 4.0L noise "

they say use seafoam, I use seafoam on brake boost, but never on engine. how much seafoam can be add to engine ? let me look up at the site see if they have instruction.

If you added "Sea Foam" via the brake booster line before, that gets it into the engine right there.

...now for the advice: Don't use Sea Foam on your top-end like that. There are better products that don't put you at risk like a liquid does. Get a true top-end cleaner, like Amsoil's Power Foam or Combustion Chamber Cleaner(GM top-end, Mopar; aka Chry/Dod/Jp parts department)...

Tough, you may just need to tackle zddp needs if that truly is the case for this app, I don't know. Also, a true mechanical flaw won't be fixed by a can, you know the story, etc. I have used Power Foam and other top-end cleaners before. I will only use Sea Foam in the gas, crankcase gets MMO for an entire OCI if I'm using a liquid to the engine oil area.

PS: Do an oil change after a procedure like the video shows. Also, not sure but I do hear some noise when the guy in the vid isn't on the throttle. Similar sound from your engine or not?

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
try using red line's break in oil additive might help add 4 oz.
5qt sump increases phos 458ppm and zinc 552ppm

I did, I have a 2 year old bottle of redline break in oil, I already add to engine oil, jeep love it. the tick noise is reduce alot since I add the redline.

The Moly 132 is 6 or 7 bucks a bottle, last I remember. I don't think it has much ZDDP in it. Seems like I remember it having a good bit of antimony in it for antiwear and not that much moly really. It is heavy like STP, but the base oil is of higher quality than the cheaper STP. I find that it effectively quiets worn or noisy engines and reduces oil consumption.

But yes, moving to a heavier duty oil such as a 10W-30 or 15W-40 HDEO may be enough by itself to quiet one of these 4.0 engines down without spending more on additives.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
The Moly 132 is 6 or 7 bucks a bottle, last I remember. I don't think it has much ZDDP in it. Seems like I remember it having a good bit of antimony in it for antiwear and not that much moly really. It is heavy like STP, but the base oil is of higher quality than the cheaper STP. I find that it effectively quiets worn or noisy engines and reduces oil consumption.

But yes, moving to a heavier duty oil such as a 10W-30 or 15W-40 HDEO may be enough by itself to quiet one of these 4.0 engines down without spending more on additives.

tell me crazy , but some old guy told me while ago, that I will get use to the noise of the 4.0 and will not note it any more, and I find out he is right, the noise does not bother me or made me worried no more, and I some how dint note the sound.

since I already bought the MOS2, imma run it next oil change. its ok to storage that MOS2 in cool place right for next 6 month ?

I added MOS2 to my daughter's Cherokee Classic (184k) and that helped quiet it down quite a bit. It's only $4.29 at my local NAPA store.

Originally Posted By: edvanp
I added MOS2 to my daughter's Cherokee Classic (184k) and that helped quiet it down quite a bit. It's only $4.29 at my local NAPA store.

I bought it yesterday, none of store around me carry it, have to special order. what oil did you use ?

132 has not much of anything in it moly is almost non existant it will inc your oil viscosity..don't bother..use a good moly like lubeatech liquid friction reducer or lubegard bio engine tx.will get tons of good organuc moly...my opinion

Last edited:
132 has not much of anything in it moly is almost non existant it will inc your oil viscosity..don't bother..use a good moly like lubeatech liquid friction reducer or lubegard bio engine tx.will get tons of good organuc moly...my opinion

Moly is not what 132 is noted for, in fact as you mentioned "it is almost non existant". It is antimony, and a few other goodies which makes the product good. #132 does help with noise reduction and reducing oil consumption in some engines. They used the word Moly for a name, I guess it sounded better than Antimony. Either way the product is a good value in many applications.

not much antimony 23ppm,phos 104ppm,zinc 6 ppm,moly 23 ppm ..if you want antimony then get torco's mpz has over >9999ppm if i recall.i use to feel the same way about 132..in fact i had a whole box of it and i tossed it after years of sitting....

Last edited:
You're actually the first person who I ran into that used the product that had something negative to say about it.

schaeffers make great products!!however,very hard to purchase. i was never impressed with neutra 131 and #132 as compared to red line complete fuel system cleaner for gas and lubegard, lubeatech,valoline synpower additive,sx-up for oil!!iam sure 132 has its benefits but not for what i want in an oil additive....all what i say is what i have learned and experienced..i see you are in new york please be safe with this nasty weather coming in!!

schaeffers make great products!!however,very hard to purchase. i was never impressed with neutra 131 and #132 as compared to red line complete fuel system cleaner for gas and lubegard, lubeatech,valoline synpower additive,sx-up for oil!!iam sure 132 has its benefits but not for what i want in an oil additive....all what i say is what i have learned and experienced..i see you are in new york please be safe with this nasty weather coming in!!

You're right Schaeffers is hard to get! I wasn't impressed with Neutra either. 132 did work for us, and has its loyal users. I'm with you as far as RL and LG products too. I like LAT as well, and will be trying it a some point.

Thanks for thinking about me and the upcoming storm. I went to Walmart looking for Coleman Fuel, I guess I wasn't the only person with that idea, LOL. I saw a construction team boarding up the windows of Walmart in Westbury, NY. I don't ever remember seeing that, at least not here. The news has this playing out like "The Perfect Storm! I'm as ready as I'll ever be, but I have a bad feeling about this storm!

let us know after this event!!if you are ok!

Will do.

I think the media is having a field day with this. My brother was just ordered to evacuate, and parked one of his cars here. He has his boat on blocks at the boatyard and is now having second thoughts, it might have been better leaving it in the water. The problem is this is a new [to him] boat, and the slip was very tight. He doesn't have a trailer and had to make a choice. I hope it was the right one. We were actually toying around with riding out the storm in a somewhat protected channel, that didn't go over well with the wives. LOL That option lasted a few seconds and was quickly silenced by my sister in law, niece and nephew. It would have been something to talk about though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back