Anything equivelent to Zerex G-05 yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
again it leaves deposits in the engine!!! go with final charge by peak..works great in my fords

False. It most certainly does not leave "deposits," I challenge you to produce a single picture deposits due to G-05. In fact if you Google G-05 deposits, do you know what comes up? THIS THREAD!!! And then pages about reducing deposits by switching to G-05.

And it has silicates for multi-metal protection, nitrites for cavitation protection (meets several wet-liner diesel engines' requirements)... you really can't get much better than G-05 as an all-around coolant. If an engine CALLS for a pure OAT or Dexcool- no problem. But if it was built for G-05 or old-school inorganic coolants, G-05 is still very much the way to go.

go5(nitrites) attacks metals many reasons why in all new fords there are no more go5 but a universal long lasting anti freeze...you will see in another year or so instead of many different antifreezes there will just one. and that one will have no nitrites etc. and all the other additives replaced with high tech to protect safely..alllll my fords had deposits expecially when you change thermostat and in radiators needless to say i thought i was getting a high quality antifreeze ...was very disappotinted!! and heater core metals attacked ny nitrites..so go ahead and stay with go5..

go5(nitrites) attacks metals

BZZT.

and heater core metals attacked ny nitrites..so go ahead and stay with go5..

You can be darn sure I WILL.

Here ya go. A picture of an oil cooler from a 6.0 powerstroke. They were factory filled with G-05 and this was a common problem.

IMG_2266Medium.jpg

The oil cooler plugging is what caused allot of the EGR cooler failures on that engine.

The silicates dropping out of suspension is the problem with the G-05 and I have seen it on many Fords factory filled with G-05.

Boxcartommie.....John Deere changed their coolant formula (G05 like) a year or two ago and removed nitrites. They never mentioned any problems with it "eating" metals over many, many years of very successful heavy duty use. They stated that the removal of nitrites was to meet the more demanding environmental restrictions of the global market. In other words, as they sell more ag. equipment overseas, they went to one world approved coolant for simplicity.

Regarding the Powerstroke oil cooler problems with G05, a quick read of the literature seems to indicate that this problem is unique to the diesel powerstroke engines.

There are references to NOT use G05 in pre '99 Ford powerstrokes. TSB's say to reduce the G05 change interval to 1/2 of Zerex's recommendation AND that a supplemental SCA might also be used. Everyone admits that in THIS particular application, G05 is not up to the task and Ford screwed the pooch. I disagree with 440Magnum just a bit...while G05 CAN be used in diesels, it is not as good (SCA, etc.) as a dedicated heavy duty diesel coolant (the old JD formula was tweaked a bit, IMO).

An example: "The 6.0 is known to blow head gaskets. This is why it happens. The Ford Gold coolant contains silicates. The silicates are not able to handle high EGT's generated by a good load or relatively high boost when run through the EGR cooler. They break down into a jell like sludge and fall out of suspension. This crud gets caught up in the tiny coolant passageways of the oil cooler. As the cooler clogs up it restricts coolant flow to the egr cooler. Now the egr cooler doesn't have enough coolant to carry off the heat generated by high EGT's. The limited amount of coolant in the egr cooler flash boils causing high pressure in the cooling system and the truck pukes coolant from the degas bottle due to the pressure. (it has to go somewhere)
Your uninformed Powerstroke owner is not monitoring his coolant temps and oil temps so he doesn't know whats going on and he keeps driving it this way. The problem get worse, the pressure causes the egr cooler to rupture. Now the egr cooler is leaking coolant into the intake manifold which then runs into the cylinders. Again the high combustion temps cause the coolant to vaporize. This causes unacceptably high cylinder pressure, the TTY head bolts stretch due to the additional pressure and there go your head gaskets."

I would not judge G05 performance for automobiles based on its failure in heavy duty, high temperature Powerstroke diesel engine applications. This would be like condemning 5W20 oil because it failed in a Peterbuilt. Or, condemning Dexcool because of the GM fiasco (bad engine and/or materials design).

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

There are references to NOT use G05 in pre '99 Ford powerstrokes. TSB's say to reduce the G05 change interval to 1/2 of Zerex's recommendation AND that a supplemental SCA might also be used. Everyone admits that in THIS particular application, G05 is not up to the task and Ford screwed the pooch. I disagree with 440Magnum just a bit...while G05 CAN be used in diesels, it is not as good (SCA, etc.) as a dedicated heavy duty diesel coolant (the old JD formula was tweaked a bit, IMO).

We don't actually disagree. I would never say that Zerex/Ford/Mopar G-05 is a general-purpose Diesel engine coolant. But it does carry some diesel engine approvals that, for example, DexCool doesn't. The enabling factor for those approval appears to be the nitrites. Wet-liner diesels (which pickup truck diesels are generally not) have to have very high levels of cavitation inhibitor, and nitrites are among the best for that purpose. That's whats in most SCA packages. Nitrites or other cavitation inhibitors also can have some benefits in some gasoline engines where localized boiling and cavitation can occur.

Granted, Nitrites are being displaced (slowly), but that's no reason to jump to an unapproved "universal" coolant that may contain much more destructive chemicals like 2EHA, or lack necessary protectants for multi-metal cooling systems. The combination of inhibitors (organic acids plus silicates plus nitrites etc.) is PRECISELY what makes HOATs like G-05 so good for retrofit to older engines, IMO. If one inihibitor doesn't protect a particular material well, then another one will. This is also why Ford, Chrysler, Daimler-Benz, and others had absolutely no issues deploying HOAT coolants across their whole product line (from new engine designs like the 4.7/3.7L family to engines that were nearing end-of-production like the Jeep 4.0). By contrast GM had horrific problems with DexCool even though they tried to cover the bases. A water pump impeller that goes away in this engine line, a lower intake manifold gaskets that rot in this engine line, etc. lead up to a lot of unhappy customers.

i did not know about diesel engines since i don't have one..nitrites are destroying(reacting) heatercore metals!! in gas engines i didn't make this up!!they had chemists from the industry on gear heads that explained this. believe me or not your choice..just trying to help everyone as i do always..

i did not know about diesel engines since i don't have one..nitrites are destroying(reacting) heatercore metals!! in gas engines i didn't make this up!!they had chemists from the industry on gear heads that explained this. believe me or not your choice..just trying to help everyone as i do always..

I'd be a lot more likely to believe if you could present some documentation other than "they said..." because all of this is in completely counter to what has been said about HOAT coolants for years and years.

"Heater core metals" are pretty much one of two things- aluminum in new cars, copper alloy (brass or bronze) in old cars. G-05 doesn't have negative reactions with either one that I know of (I'm leaving the door open for your proof right here). And the fact that it protects multiple metals reasonably well is one of the things that recommends it for older vehicles that may have an iron block, aluminum timing case, and bronze heater core.

i have no scientific evidence and if i did people will still not believe...anyways, the sources i learned it from is good enough for me and i will heed that info..these are engineers who are informed and what they will make their anti-freezes perform better and with far better protection..tis whats coming down in the industry...ford told me also about the reason for stopping go5...ford svt told me about my raptor...fianl charge is now in it too..this is all i can say about this..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

We don't actually disagree. I would never say that Zerex/Ford/Mopar G-05 is a general-purpose Diesel engine coolant. But it does carry some diesel engine approvals that, for example, DexCool doesn't. The enabling factor for those approval appears to be the nitrites. Wet-liner diesels (which pickup truck diesels are generally not) have to have very high levels of cavitation inhibitor, and nitrites are among the best for that purpose. That's whats in most SCA packages. Nitrites or other cavitation inhibitors also can have some benefits in some gasoline engines where localized boiling and cavitation can occur.

Granted, Nitrites are being displaced (slowly), but that's no reason to jump to an unapproved "universal" coolant that may contain much more destructive chemicals like 2EHA, or lack necessary protectants for multi-metal cooling systems. The combination of inhibitors (organic acids plus silicates plus nitrites etc.) is PRECISELY what makes HOATs like G-05 so good for retrofit to older engines, IMO. If one inihibitor doesn't protect a particular material well, then another one will. This is also why Ford, Chrysler, Daimler-Benz, and others had absolutely no issues deploying HOAT coolants across their whole product line (from new engine designs like the 4.7/3.7L family to engines that were nearing end-of-production like the Jeep 4.0). By contrast GM had horrific problems with DexCool even though they tried to cover the bases. A water pump impeller that goes away in this engine line, a lower intake manifold gaskets that rot in this engine line, etc. lead up to a lot of unhappy customers.

All diesel engines need cavitation protection, some more than others, whether wet or dry sleeved. The 7.3 Powerstroke, for instance, was an engine design that you couldn't allow the antifreeze add-pack to deplete. The cause, briefly, is form tiny bubbles forming within the coolant passages due to flex in the block. If left unprotected eventually these tiny implosions will eat a "worm hole" in the block. Most times when someone flushes a diesel cooling system and find what they believe is casting sand is really the result of these implosions, tiny pieces of cast iron looking like sand.

As far as the old Deere Coolgard vs. the new Coolgard II according to Deere's info one of the reasons for the change was for the coolant to be more compatitable with higher engine/egr temps due to the farm/marine industry having to comply with epa regs. I am using, have used, Coolgard, Coolgard II in two different 6.0's Powerstrokes among several other diesel and gas applications with zero issues. The original Coolgard was not the same as G0-5, it was a heavy-duty diesel coolant good for 5 years/5000hrs of service. The Coolgard II has a 6 year/6000hrs.service life.

I have never heard of this formula attacking heater cores, diesel engines have heater cores also, along with oil coolers, heat exchangers(marine), and a host of dissimilar metals in the cooling system. The one disadvantage of using a ELC coolant in a system not designed for it originally is that it takes approx. 5,000 mi. for the coolant to adequately protect the system, with a HOAT, TRI-HOAT (low silicate) coolant protection happens immediately

While I don't think G-05 is a bad coolant even to use as a universal, just like every other coolant it is not perfect. It is true that nitrites and borates in G-05 while more protective of iron are agressive against aluminum. Of course the other inhibitors in G-05, silicates, nitrates, benzoate protect aluminum as long as they aren't depleted. For most later model cooling systems that contain aluminum the nitrites are not really beneficial. Really I don't see G-05 having that much longer life or being a better coolant than American green. A lot of people use G-05 to avoid any gasket compatibility issues and issues with air in the coolant, and sometimes brass radiator and solder protection. All of this is provided by green. Japanese first formula is probably the best universal replacement to Green, not G-05. But it is too expensive.

OATs even Dexcool are the better way when the system is designed properly for them. Even HD coolants are increasingly going to them and getting liner cavitation protection without needing nitrites or molybdate.

As far as G-05 causing problems I think that only happens in diesel when SCA are added and the slicates and nitrite levels get too high, or in other applications where the G-05 is not changed regularly enough and the aluminum protecting inhibitors are depleted.

My thinking is that G-05 protects well but Peak Global gets the job done and doesn't seem to have any greater issue with air or gasket compatibility. If a car called for Green or was very old, that's what I'd use (although G-05 would be a good choice). If the car called for G-05, as some Fords and Chryslers, that's what I used. But on some early model Dexcool vehicles and everything else, I would probably go with Peak Global if I just don't want to go OE.

I don't mean to start up a new debate, but I would not use Final Charge as a replacement coolant in gas engines. It's just overkill and containing a higher concentration of various and unpublished OATs, I wouldn't feel comfortable about potential gasket compatibility issues. I'd consider Peak Global a safer better for plastic gasket durability. Peak Final Charge probably won't effect gasket life but since it is not validated on the vehicle there's no guarantees.

IIRC, G-05 has long been Mercedes' spec for coolant, and they're not unknown for their share of gas or diesel engines (nor their love of very specific fluid specs, as with the other Germans). A lot of the other Europeans spec G-48, its close cousin (no nitrite and a touch less silicate).

I'll worry about G-05 when I see those companies defect to another formula, since I'm not a Ford owner.

I'm more leery of the companies that keep changing their spec and chasing the "next big thing," which we've seen can turn out to be folly. At some point, they must decide whether they will allow the mechanical engineers, or the chemical engineers to lead the way, and not let them trade volleys.

Whatever coolant you choose to use.
1st place to look is what the manufacterer states to use.
Use that unless you have reliable information to do otherwise.
I used G-05 in my '96 3.8L Windstar, which is against what the FORD chart, posted in another thread states to use.
That was my choice.
I was happy with the G-05 in the system.

Also, whatever coolant you choose to use, if you add water, use ONLY distilled water as many water sources contain minerals that WILL create deposits in your system.
Some areas have water that you can get away with using right from the tap, but that is not the "norm".
Gallon jugs of distilled water is cheap enough at the local grocery store......why not use it with your expensive coolant and be sure to not have an issue?

Don't go dumping these miracle additives to your coolant, as mentioned by another poster, they may not play nice with the additive package in your coolant.
I'm not saying that all add-ins are bad, but you can cause more problems by blindly following the label on the additive bottle and dumping it into your coolant.

The last point, don't go crazy about trying to extend the life of the coolant.....when it needs to be changed, change it.
It goes beyond the float tester to determine freeze point.....the additive package does wear out over time.

Just bought a gallon Zerex G-05 at a local NAPA for E430 at $16 + tax, the price was $12.xx few years ago. The local NAPA doesn't have Peak Global Lifetime in stock, need 2-3 gallons for LS400 and Tracer. Don't know what to use for Honda S2000 yet, either OEM or Zerex Asian.

Just thought I'd mention this... I was in a local 7-11 store by me using the ATM and noticed that they had many gallons of Peak Global Lifetime in the gold bottle for 9.99 each. May want to check to see if you have any 7-11's near you that carry it.

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Just thought I'd mention this... I was in a local 7-11 store by me using the ATM and noticed that they had many gallons of Peak Global Lifetime in the gold bottle for 9.99 each. May want to check to see if you have any 7-11's near you that carry it.

Thanks, is that PGL concentrate or 50/50 ? There is one 7-11 store in my town about 7 miles from the house, I'll check that store sometime this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back