TIMING KIT 4.6 FORD

Status
Not open for further replies.
TODAY I PURCHASED A TIMING KIT FOR AN 01' F150 4.6. IN THE SET W/ THE TENSIONERS THERE ARE TWO PLATES THAT LOOK LIKE THEY BOLT UP ON THE BACK OF THEM. MY OLD ONES DON'T HAVE THESE PLATES! MY QUESTION IS DO I USE THESE PLATES & WHY?

Install them. They help with leaking and keep the oil pressure up and chains tighter. What brand did you get? Normally want to use Motorcraft for durability.

I found this concerning these plates. Contact member bdcardinal maybe he can help with info on the bulletin or more accurate info, the man knows his Ford parts inside and out!

Quote:
The Tensioner style may look different than your original style. This newer style was first introduced by Ford in the year 2000 on the 4.6L V-8 and continued through 2004 and perhaps further. It has performed well and makes the timing system installation a little easier. The earlier style is cast iron and has a ratchet system and pounting plate. We have adopted this newer style for all of our 4.6 and 5.4 V-8 engines and the 6.8L V-10 engines. During installation be sure to use a mounting plate under the Tensioner if the original style used one. If the original version did not use or need a plate under the Tensioner then one is not required. Oil pressuer leaks and improper Tensioner operation will occur if the plate was left out of an installation that requires one. It is up to the installer to be correct. -notice T65432-33 ford V-series

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back