Can I pass CA Smog with Evap Monitor Not Ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent.

I have erased my check engine light codes, which were minor but would have caused an automatic fail on my smog. I went to get my car smogged yesterday but I took it in too soon, it showed both Catalyst and Evaporative System not ready on the OBD monitor as Not Ready. I have now driven it for a couple of hours trying to get them to change to ready. Catalyst is now showing as ready, but Evaporative System is still showing as Not Ready. I was doing some research and from what I found out I can have ONE monitor Not Ready and still pass smog. Is this true? I just don't want to go spend another $40 and fail again.

Thanks.

I'd continue to drive it a while, with lots of start, stops, and getting it up to running temp.

How long? We can only guess, but this is your best bet.
A trip to an auto parts store for a free scan first would be smart. It will let you know if you are ready.

Last edited:
Why did you erase the codes? Do they come back? If the code comes back, you will fail. Do you have to time it? If the EVAP code keeps on coming back, then you will have to get it inspected before it trips. As far as I know, EPA allows 1 non-ready for your model year and I think CA too.

If you know that your car will complete the EVAP *successfully* (the gas tank needs to be between 3/4 and 1/4 for it to run), then wait but if it runs and trips CEL, you will be cursing yourself for blowing your "window of inspection".

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back