Old, dirty fuel tanker at my local Exxon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an Exxon station I've been driving quite a distance out of my way in order to get a Top Tier gasoline for my new car. I drove by there today and saw a tanker truck refilling the station's tanks. It was an old truck. Kinda faded and dirty. The tanker trailer was matching. Old and dirty looking. There was no name on the tank. Didn't get a good enough look at the door of the truck for a name, but nevertheless, the truck was rather old and not too impressive looking. The whole thing screamed of a sort of Jack-Leg operation. But maybe I'm wrong.

My question is, how do I know the gas they are selling at this Exxon station has the proper Exxon Top Tier additives in it? Are there safeguards, and/or fines or whatever to help ensure that the public will get the advertized product?

The Tanker rig flipped me out because it was reminiscent of the rig from the movie "Duel." The only difference was some old, faded 1980's lookin' faded out stripes in 2 colors. Something like orange and blue. I mean it was a freakin' ugly setup and just got me worrying.

Opinions?

Originally Posted By: j_mac

My question is, how do I know the gas they are selling at this Exxon station has the proper Exxon Top Tier additives in it?

You don't. As far as I'm concerned, the whole "top tier gas" thing is just marketing. In my area, most of the gas stations are supplied by the same trucking company, and probably the same gas.

This has been discussed numerous times on here. Trucks are contracted by oil companies. They all get gas at the same distribution point so the chemical makeup of the gasoline is the same. But each brand gets its dose of additives put in the truck. So Exxon gets what it needs as a Top Tier supplier. Sometimes this Exxon fuel might be sold to a no-name station if there is some left over after an Exxon delivery.

I have talked to the guy at Turkey Hill in charge of the Top Tier program at their stores. It is indeed a valid program where they pay for more additive.

Not sure if there is one near you , but costco gets b-p gas in new trucks with their own additive package.

Even though all gas is about the same. It all Comes from the same refineries and distribution tanks.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
This has been discussed numerous times on here. Trucks are contracted by oil companies. They all get gas at the same distribution point so the chemical makeup of the gasoline is the same. But each brand gets its dose of additives put in the truck. So Exxon gets what it needs as a Top Tier supplier. Sometimes this Exxon fuel might be sold to a no-name station if there is some left over after an Exxon delivery.

I have talked to the guy at Turkey Hill in charge of the Top Tier program at their stores. It is indeed a valid program where they pay for more additive.

Did the guy say why TH is on and then off the TT list? As I write this, TH is currently not on the list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip

You don't. As far as I'm concerned, the whole "top tier gas" thing is just marketing.

I agree. I don't doubt that the additives have some differences, but I have yet to see any real, independent, and scientific test results to prove that there is any real-world benefit to using Top Tier gas. Until then, I will continue to use the cheapest/most convenient gas as I always have. I've never had a fuel related problem in 25 years of driving. That's good enough for me.

Originally Posted By: whip

My question is, how do I know the gas they are selling at this Exxon station has the proper Exxon Top Tier additives in it?

You don't. As far as I'm concerned, the whole "top tier gas" thing is just marketing. In my area, most of the gas stations are supplied by the same trucking company, and probably the same gas.

False.

Top Tier was set up by CAR COMPANIES like BMW, Audi, VW, Honda, ect. . . It was set up becuase these car companies found that the EPA mandated minimum level of additives where not enough to maintain the performance in their engines.

A refinery provides a base fuel. A trucking company delivers the fuel after the brand specific additives are added to the tanker truck. A tanker truck can have up to 4, if not more depending on the situation, separate compartments inside tanker. So it can go to different branded stations during the drop off route.

People, educate your selves before you try to answer a question!

This getting old.

The Tanker rig flipped me out because it was reminiscent of the rig from the movie "Duel." The only difference was some old, faded 1980's lookin' faded out stripes in 2 colors. Something like orange and blue. I mean it was a freakin' ugly setup and just got me worrying

Coming to an Exxon station near you!

He'll deliver your gas, then kill your ---!

Originally Posted By: rg200amp

This getting old.

So Educated Answer Man...

How can anyone know for sure?

What test protocol would you suggest?

Thanks, Jim

Regarding the rig from "Duel" I think that older KWs are sexy... I couln't tell you why, just something about ithem. I would like to own a older KW when I'm done with school..
Dusty

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Regarding the rig from "Duel" I think that truck is sexy... I couln't tell you why, just something about it.

I think I could tell you why...

Originally Posted By: glum
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Regarding the rig from "Duel" I think that truck is sexy... I couln't tell you why, just something about it.

I think I could tell you why...

That old Girl was friggin awsome! Motor was shot, drive train...who knows. But she still ran!

Last edited:

This getting old.
So, (1) Whom are "policing" and quality checking the top tier fuel? How often is it tested and are results reported to the public(yeah right!)? Just like API reports sub standard oil blends?
Qualitatively, All the fuel sold in my area is hit of miss - top tier or not. If the base fuel is garbage, a higher percentage of FI cleaner doesnt fix it. It is quite rare when I get a tank of good running fuel.

Last edited:
I ghate to say all gas is the same, but around here-it pretty much is.

For fun I tried a few "Firebird" indy stations around here, and had no issues with either the 87 or 89 I used....

False.

Top Tier was set up by CAR COMPANIES like BMW, Audi, VW, Honda, ect. . . It was set up becuase these car companies found that the EPA mandated minimum level of additives where not enough to maintain the performance in their engines.

A refinery provides a base fuel. A trucking company delivers the fuel after the brand specific additives are added to the tanker truck. A tanker truck can have up to 4, if not more depending on the situation, separate compartments inside tanker. So it can go to different branded stations during the drop off route.

This getting old.

Good to know that CAR COMPANIES are not involved in marketing efforts. Seems to me that blaming lack of fuel additives for driveability problems might actually be a very good marketing scheme.

If this is a legitimate problem, where are the independent test results to prove that these additional additives do more than make people feel warm and fuzzy? I have asked this question before of the Top Tier fuel proponents and have yet to see any repsonse that is backed by actual independent testing. Prove it and I'll consider driving out of my way for Top Tier. Until then, these claims are no different than those made by Zmax, Fitch, Slick50 and the rest.

ARCOgraphite

Nobody checks, top tier gasoline companies signed a promise to put the "additional" additives in the gasoline.

"To be able to advertise the Top Tier rating, a gasoline marketer has to promise the automakers in writing that every gallon it sells in the USA has a strong enough additive package to keep an engine free of deposits"

The key word is promise. This is all I will say.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth

False.

This getting old.

Good to know that CAR COMPANIES are not involved in marketing efforts. Seems to me that blaming lack of fuel additives for driveability problems might actually be a very good marketing scheme.

If this is a legitimate problem, where are the independent test results to prove that these additional additives do more than make people feel warm and fuzzy? I have asked this question before of the Top Tier fuel proponents and have yet to see any repsonse that is backed by actual independent testing. Prove it and I'll consider driving out of my way for Top Tier. Until then, these claims are no different than those made by Zmax, Fitch, Slick50 and the rest.

http://investor.lubrizol.com/phoenix.zht...&highlight=

Established by six of the world's top automakers (BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi), the current TOP TIER standard goes beyond EPA minimum detergent requirements. The automakers suggest the EPA minimum detergent level (set in 1995) may no longer ensure optimal engine performance for their increasingly sophisticated engines.

The TOP TIER standard, which originally went into effect in May 2004, was updated in May 2008 and required additive manufacturers to submit fuel performance data from independent, accredited laboratories by November 29, 2010. Today, to be licensed as providing TOP TIER gasoline, fuel retailers must meet the updated TOP TIER standards in all grades of gasoline. In addition, each fuel outlet carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards

http://yel.pca.org/tech_fuel.php

I personally do not care about you driving out of your way or not. Buy whatever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back