Differential fluid for trailblazer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an '03 Trailblazer EXT 4WD 4.2L with 141k miles. Just bought in December at 136k miles and have no idea what the history is on differential or transfer case fluids. With the transfer case, it doesn't appear I have much of an option, gotta go with dealer supplied AutoTracII.

I was looking at AMSOIL's site for differential fluid and came across three "matches" for my vehicle:
SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVGQT) - $14.90/Qt
75W-90 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGRQT) - $12.35/Qt
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (AGLQT) - $10.40/Qt

Once in awhile, we'll tow a snowmobile, but for the most part we use it like a minivan as a people hauler, so I don't think I need "Severe Gear". Question is, which of the other two should I get? If it makes a difference, I live in upstate NY, sub 0°F at times in the winter and we hit 100°F here this summer. Also, is the service interval any different with the synthetic, or should it still be every 50k?

Also, I'm a little confused on how much fluid to buy. On GM's service website it says the rear axle takes 1.9L or 4.0 Pints. Great. But for the front it says 0.8L or 2.6 Pints. That conversion doesn't work out, either 0.8L or 2.6 Pints could be correct, but not both (0.8L = 1.7 Pints... 2.6 Pints = 1.23L ).
confused.gif

Thanks!
Jim

I used M1, Valvoline synthetic blend, and the Amsoil Severe Gear in the rear end of my 2005 GMC. If you are going to leave it in for a long time go with the M1 or Amsoil.

+1 for GM Grape Juice.

Outrageously expensive, but everything else I've put in causes the locking diff to clunk. May not be an issue if you don't have a G80 diff, but something to think about.

Alright, I'll probably go with M1, @$9/Qt. I'm going back and forth with a local AMSOIL dealer and see what he do for me, but it's looking like 60% more expensive than M1.

For the sake of arguement though, AMSOIL Synthetic Long Life 75W-90, or AMSOIL Sythetic 80W-90: is there a big difference? If it came down to those two, would I be OK with the 80W-90 to save $7-9, although my spec is 75W-90?

I don't think you can wrong with the Severe Gear series.

The Amsoil 75W110 would be a good choice for the rear diff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back