Is these thing look normal to u while at the shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kasedian
Normal? Probably. Should it be normal? No. It falls under the "What-you-don't-know-won't-hurt-you" category. Kind of like the kids who cook at the fast food joints. They catch flies, and throw em in the deep fryer, and watch em sizzle.

Oh, puleeze, don't tell me that!
sick.gif

Yeah, what the others said. He probably didn't wipe the old oil off the block where the oil filter seals, so there's the oil for the new oil filter seal. Not the way I'd do it, he's just doing the job in the quickest way possible that he can get away with.

I will say that that is definitely UN acceptable at my work. Me personally, I have about 5 funnels, all are labeled too. I have about 4 drain pans that I have labeled. I clean them all out after I am done using them also. If someone did that at my work my boss would definitely fire them, no excuses, or second chances period. I also always use fresh motor oil on the gasket of my filter and put a little oil in my filter and leave it set for a few minutes before I install it.

Adam

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

If it was me, I do still fill some little oil in the filter, and let the filter media observe oil.

Oilpants, is that you?
grin2.gif

Seriously, I'm afraid this is business as usual for many shops. The techs doing this kind of work are simply putting in their time, with no real interest or incentive to do a better job.

When he install oil filter. He dint put oil on the seal and dint fill the oil filter. Install dry.

Neither do I. I've never seen a need or reason to fill the oil filter, and every time I change a filter I check the mount to make sure the old gasket didn't stick to it. Did you know that it's always covered with oil?

So let me ask you, since the flat area on which the filter gasket seals is already covered with oil, and as soon as the gasket from the new filter starts to seat it too will be covered with oil, what difference does it make if he didn't prelube the gasket before he put the filter on?

You're correct, none.

And I'd also like to ask, have you ever seen any engine damage caused by not filling a filter?

I didn't think so.

A chevy dealer by me makes you walk through the service bays to get to the walk-up parts counter.

They have a catbox (!) full of cat litter and funnels on the floor. If one picked up a dirty oily funnel there'd be clumps of sand stuck to it.

Maybe the techs wiped them off with a rag before sticking them in another car. I didn't stick around to find out.

PS, they just lost their Chevy franchise a year or two ago and are exclusively selling used cars. Karma!!

You need to own a franchise of repair shops with those ethics. Come on down to Virginia.

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
I will say that that is definitely UN acceptable at my work. Me personally, I have about 5 funnels, all are labeled too. I have about 4 drain pans that I have labeled. I clean them all out after I am done using them also. If someone did that at my work my boss would definitely fire them, no excuses, or second chances period. I also always use fresh motor oil on the gasket of my filter and put a little oil in my filter and leave it set for a few minutes before I install it.

Adam

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic

Adam

This is the shop where I will take my car in.

I also note other shop that mix coolant with tap water, and in the bottle already containt 50/50 mix. He add more water
frown.gif

I saw this oil pit boy, take off oil drain plug and plug it righ back up after few second .

I guest the guy above say " wat u dont know , wont hurt you "

Quote:
Critic, is that you?

who ?

One of our member who's super anal about every single detail in life, and have high standards measured in unobtainium.

Last edited:
I work at a fleet garage so you wont bring your vehicles all the way up here. That and some moron of a mechanic I work with tried lifting his truck up on the rack incorrectly, almost killing himself. After that, no employee is allowed to bring their personal vehicle on the rental lot period.

Adam

If you look around hard enough and are lucky to be in a real rural area like me; you should have good luck finding a good shop/mechanic.

The only time I see a seperate funnel would be needed is for brake fluid. Even though, I still use a funnel for all fluids, just have to spray it down after using it.

Every time you change an oil filter you should wipe off the mounting surface and oil the gasket. An old gasket or excessive dirt left on the mount could ruin an otherwise good day.

Nothing wrong with installing an empty oil filter. I usually put fresh oil on the gasket, but rarely add oil to the filter prior to installation. Regarding the comment about diesels requiring the filter to be pre-filled...Caterpillar clearly states in their service literature to install the filters dry. This ensures that you don't introduce unfiltered oil to the post-filter oil system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back