O'Reillys long life all makes/all models formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An old work buddy came over the over the other day to do some upkeep on his 03 6.0 Burb. He wanted to do cooling system flush and had O'Reilly long life all makes/all models coolant. I'm curious if anyone knows the formulation and/or who produces it? I'm guessing it's a Dex clone like most all others?

Last edited:
Haven't tried that one but I did some Jaguar training and they said there is no such thing as ALL MODELS coolant. The seals, plastics and other materials that make up the cooling system have a chemical composition that must not react with the coolant to create corrosion. (I have my notes and my chemistry nook in my hand) In other words if A + B = Corrosion then you should have A components + A Coolant, or B components + B coolant. Universal is both A and B so it would corrode no matter what. Is much more complex than that, there are Glycol based coolants, Silicone, etc, universal being a compromise. Conclusion: DON'T USE IT!!!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
An old work buddy came over the over the other day to do some upkeep on his 03 6.0 Burb. He wanted to do cooling system flush and had O'Reilly long life all makes/all models coolant. I'm curious if anyone knows the formulation and/or who produces it? I'm guessing it's a Dex clone like most all others?

I looked it up at O'Reilly's website and I can not find the d MSDS for it. But O'Reilly's has a store brand that is labled "dexcool capable coolant" since dexcool is trademarked by GM. I wish I could give you more info but anything I would tell you would be a guess.

Originally Posted By: Dax1987
Haven't tried that one but I did some Jaguar training and they said there is no such thing as ALL MODELS coolant. The seals, plastics and other materials that make up the cooling system have a chemical composition that must not react with the coolant to create corrosion. (I have my notes and my chemistry nook in my hand) In other words if A + B = Corrosion then you should have A components + A Coolant, or B components + B coolant. Universal is both A and B so it would corrode no matter what. Is much more complex than that, there are Glycol based coolants, Silicone, etc, universal being a compromise. Conclusion: DON'T USE IT!!!

Thank you for the warning, but I wasn't the one who bought it.

In the aftermarket, there are 4 basic types of coolants. Traditional green, GO5 clones, Dex Clones, and now an Asian mix. Seeing as how it's a long life coolant, I can rule out traditional green and it's not advertised as an Asian compatible mix, which leaves a Dex Clone or a GO5 clone as the two likely possibilities. Since it's labeled "Extended Life/Universal Formulation (I was mistaken on the "All Makes/All Models" description) I suppose it could be a GO5 knock off...

Either way, I doubt there will be any serious ramifications in his truck, as the gaskets and materials are already compatible with Dexcool (attacks certain materials) and the cooling system will be fully flushed out of the old coolant before long.

Dave, thanks for the links, I think I will harass the manager at the local O'Reilly store tomorrow and see what I can find out...

Well, I got a chance to hit the manager of the local O'Reilly's up for an MSDS. It's made by Prestone and contains 2-EHA as well as another acid that I can't remember off the top of my head.

So it seems that it's a Dex-Clone that's going in a Dex-Cool system. Sounds like a match made in heaven...

Yeah sounds like Prestone's Dexcool formula but without the license and housebranded. The other organic acid should be sodium neodecanoate. It should be just as good as Prestone Dexcool.

Found this thread and read on the back label of oreillys "all makes, all models, all colors", the ingredients read (For 50/50 mix): Water, Ethylene Glycol, Diethylene Glycol.

It also mentions MSDS 504 at the bottom. Probably this one from prestone:
http://www.setonresourcecenter.com/msdsh...nt%20Premix.pdf

It may seem obvious to some, but not me :p, i take it that this is also a dexcool clone?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, i guess i'll be hunting down some G-05 for my Dakota. Do you think, Peak Global would be a good match?

Many posters run Peak Global in all of their vehicle, BillinUtah comes to mind.

If you do a complete flush, Peak Global would be fine. Up here PG is impossible to find, so I have not tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back