2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 6MT - First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco with the 6-speed manual coupled to the 1.4 turbo engine today from a dealer in the Buffalo, NY area. These are from driving the car around the Buffalo area, and about 110 miles back home over a mix of interstates and major 2-lane highways.

First impressions from driving it around, and the highway drive back:

Engine: The 1.4t is rated at 138 hp/148 ft/lbs torque. It feels far torquier than that! Accelerating quickly is a breeze in this car. Merging with traffic was not an issue once the turbo spooled up, which happened pretty quickly. Off-boost, the engine does provide leisurely acceleration. Keep this engine in its powerband, and it'll move along pretty quickly.

Transmission: The 6-speed manual has a predictable and light clutch, and the action is positive when changing gears. It's not "snick-snick" like a Honda or Mazda shifter. The throws are short, and shifting can be done while resting one's arm on the center armrest. So far I like this box.

Handling: The Eco weighs 100 lbs less than the LS, and 200 lbs less than the LT and LTZ trim levels at a hair over 3000 lbs. The tires are 215/55-17's, which make the handling pretty good. It'll take an onramp pretty quickly with no drama. The rear springs seemed soft, which isn't good for hauling stuff. For a commuter car hauling a briefcase and maybe a kid home from school, it'll do just fine. Avoiding potholes was easy. The steering was precise, if not offering a lot of feedback. With some stickier tires this car's handling will improve.

People have gone over the Cruze's interior before, so I'll leave that alone. It's comfy for me, but the electronics will take a gander of the manual to learn.

My first impressions are that this car trumps our Honda Fit for both power and fuel economy. Reported fuel economy for the trip back was 51.3 MPG, and 48 MPG overall for the day. Knock 10% off those numbers since the Cruze MPG readout is known to be 10% high, and we get 45 mpg highway and 43 mpg overall just driving sanely, changing speeds constantly, and not using cruise control.

Here's an Ipod photo of the car. I'll get better pictures once the camera's charged. This photo really doesn't do it any favors:

IMG_0517.jpg

Eco badge:
IMG_0520.jpg

thumbsup2.gif
. That's a long way to buy a vehicle . We've traveled 200 mile round trips to larger cities to buy a car . Get better deals than at the small local ones . Can save up to $1,500 ( better trade and discounts ) . Thus worth the trip . Do like the syle . Keep us updated and enjoy .

Last edited:
Thanks! I got the car with 7 miles on the odometer, so it's far from broken in. Our Fit did about 2-3 mpg better as it broke in. Hopefully the Cruze is the same way. I've made sure to vary speeds and engine loads so far on breakin.

Things to do: Adjust the rear drums, seal/wax the paint, and undercoat for the winter. I'll get around to all that in a month, when the paint is ready to accept wax.

The dealer I got it from had this one cheaper than a 2011 Eco anywhere I looked. They told me they'd make the trip worth my while, and they did. I got a fair deal, and left happy with the price and service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Thanks! I got the car with 7 miles on the odometer, so it's far from broken in. Our Fit did about 2-3 mpg better as it broke in. Hopefully the Cruze is the same way. I've made sure to vary speeds and engine loads so far on breakin.

Things to do: Adjust the rear drums, seal/wax the paint, and undercoat for the winter. I'll get around to all that in a month, when the paint is ready to accept wax.

That's a nice looking car you got there- I do love the Cruze in black, that's why I got one myself. Glad you are enjoying it so far. The manual definitely gets better mpg than the auto, and driving with a lighter foot definitely helps. Keep us posted!
thumbsup2.gif

Also,
>adjust rear drums
>Adjust Drums
>New Car
>wut

Last edited:
The parking brake is sticking up to the sky, so it needs some adjustment. It's also a guarantee the drums aren't optimally adjusted yet. Adjusting the drums should take care of the parking brake.

Nick, if the reports around the internet are true, this car is capable of some pretty sweet MPG's. I'll learn more once my ScanGauge II gets back, and the car gets some more miles on it.

Congrats.

I drove a 2012 Cruze Eco about two weeks ago and thought it was a decent C-segment car, but the 6-spd auto was horrid. I'm sure the car is much better with a stick.

My fiance keeps looking at the 12' Versa sedan but I keep leaning her towards either the Sonic or Cruze with that manual 6. She wants a good econobox with a manual and I cant think of a better option than these 1.4L turbos chevy is offering. Just got to keep trying harder...

Quote:
I'll get around to all that in a month, when the paint is ready to accept wax.

Very nice car, congratulations. Factory paint is baked on so unless the dealer repainted something there is absolutely no reason to wait. I clay, machine polish, and seal new cars the day I get them home and have for decades.

There are a lot of little features that show somebody was paying attention, like the hood having weatherstripping where it meets the headlights/bumper cover, the active shutter system, and a grab handle in the trunk to close it.

I'll drive this some more today, and get to drive a fun little road by me to see how sorted everything is.

Here are some interior shots:

IMG_2208.jpg

Door pockets:
IMG_2216.jpg

View from the driver's seat:
IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

Warning: hairy man legs!

Back seat footroom:
IMG_2217.jpg

Driver headroom. I'm 5'8" and have the height-adjustable seat cranked up very high:
IMG_2218.jpg

Trunk:
IMG_2214.jpg

Wheels. Limited clearance since the brakes are pretty large for the size car it is:

IMG_2213.jpg

Lip spoiler from the factory:

IMG_2215.jpg

Engine shots:

IMG_2210.jpg

Here's the turbo:

IMG_2211.jpg

Lots of space in most areas of the engine bay:
IMG_2212.jpg

Yes, there's a little plastic hood latch guard:

IMG_2209.jpg

I'm happy so far.

Looks good! I think you'll be able to get 15's for snow tires over the brakes if wanted to, seems like there's an inch clearance. Is it much quieter and smoother on the road than your Fit?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Looks good! I think you'll be able to get 15's for snow tires over the brakes if wanted to, seems like there's an inch clearance. Is it much quieter and smoother on the road than your Fit?

No comparison. The Fit is loud compared to this. It's smoother thanks to the taller sidewalls on the tires. We're running performance all-seasons on the Fit, versus LRR all-seasons on the Cruze. Different tires produce different results.

Fitting 15's for winter tires would be great since my Buick's snow tires could go onto the Cruze. The wheels won't work since the bolt pattern is different. 15's should work, as long as the rim isn't too thick around the edge. That'll take some looking.

Congrats on the new car!

I like the European' style shifter with reverse up in the top-left corner - looks different!

these cars seem to be catching on well - see a lot more of them on the road every day up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back