As to all the discussion about MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a '78 Buick Regal for 23 years and used MMO in the gas religiously. After 23 years, it still had the intact original exhaust system and the engine burned very little oil! I think it was due to the continual slight oil vapor through the exhaust. I would think that after some 95 years of production, if it was snake oil someone would have found out by now! Seems like too many people are just overthinking it. If you like it, use it. If you don't like it, don't. It's really that simple.

I've used it for a cleaning cycle in my '06 Toyota Matrix engine. Seems to have helped as my oil stays golden longer by quite a bit. I have heard adding MMO 500 miles before an Oil Change does wonders and am convinced it does.

It's worth keeping around as it does help a variety of "ailments." There are products better suited for individual issues, but no one product is recommended for a long list like the mmo. Using it convinced me to go try thinner oils in several vehicles with no problems to this date.

You'll always have the MMO haters.You''ll hear responses like.."If tha maufacturs thout of shud be in ther ,thay wulda putit inthar frum the faktry..hu hu.

edit: I even clean the grease zerks on my Chevy once a year with it.

Last edited:
I use MMO in my gas at every fillup. Does it help? I'm convinced it does. If perchance it doesn't, I'm happy in my belief that it does, and at 67 years old anything that makes me happy is worth it, especially for the small cost of MMO.

Originally Posted By: jamesintexas
I had a '78 Buick Regal for 23 years and used MMO in the gas religiously. After 23 years, it still had the intact original exhaust system and the engine burned very little oil! I think it was due to the continual slight oil vapor through the exhaust. I would think that after some 95 years of production, if it was snake oil someone would have found out by now! Seems like too many people are just overthinking it. If you like it, use it. If you don't like it, don't. It's really that simple.

I was actually afraid to comment about exhaust systems lasting longer while using MMO. I have two examples, but no science to back it up. My brother was replacing exhaust systems, via Speedy Muffler almost every two years, stop and go driving, trips averaging about 10 minutes. My son bought the Blazer I had speedy install a exhaust system and it lasted 4 years until we sold it, his trips were even shorter than when my brother had it. I had a similar experience with my 95 Caprice Classic. I think there might be some tiny oily film that might coat the exhaust system. Sorry no proof, but you back up what I thought and was afraid to post. LOL I'm pretty sure the same would be true with an UCL.

if there were a coating on the exhaust, wouldn't it then be fouling oxygen sensors and cats?

I'm guessing you have all of it happening. On cold startup you have oil blowing out the exhaust coating the piping, and as its up to temperature the 1000 degrees will burn off any mmo lingering. If you can smell fumes at room temperature chances are the product is going to burn off fairly cleanly. Members on here have passed smog tests with overdose amounts in their fuel tanks. This is assuming ignition and other components are up to par, and the engine is at full operating temps.

If mmo has any corrosion inhibitors then the oil may actually take on some of the rust that is trying to form too. I have soaked things in atf and regular used oil and had ok results just for kicks.

Last edited:
I'm sure MMO burns off in the exhaust, that is if the engine is running long enough. Maybe on the short hops there is a residue left behind, since you aren't getting the exhaust system up to temp to boil off the condensation. Obviously the hotter the better for an exhaust system. You want to boil off all the condensation, so in that instance nothing would remain and you wouldn't need any residual effect of a UCL since you boiled the water out. Like I said no science, just an observation. It seems someone had the same observation. In my case both cars saw very short hops and rarely reached operating temps.

Saw MMO at SEARS auto section two months ago for $.97 a quart and bought one qt and posted it here. Surprised a month latter when the same 10 qt still remained on shelf. Noticed them gone last week.

I was adding some MMO to my car when the earthquake hit and the shaking caused me to add more than I intended. But darn my car now runs twice as well as it ever did!

I dont want making another topic about MMO, so Imma just ask it here, what benefic running MMO on engine ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I dont want making another topic about MMO, so Imma just ask it here, what benefic running MMO on engine ?

I believe it gives me slightly better gas miliage, is is an avg, of miliage of using it for over 2 years compared without using it for prior 2 years. This must be from a cleaner injectors and compustion chambers.

If perchance I'm wrong it still makes me happy and as I stated earlier to make a 67 year old man happy is good for no more than MMO costs.

With the way the world is today theres very little to get happy about. Nuff said. If nothing else, its cheaper than Happy Hour at the bar and no hang over after.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have two examples, but no science to back it up.

I think what you mean is simply that your evidence does not stand up to independent scrutiny. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

Since MMO is about 30% solvent(IIRC), many people claim that it can clean a varnished or even a sludged engine. You add it to your oil and run it for a period of time. Also, many people add a little to their gasoline, thinking that it cleans the fuel system and lubricates the fuel pump.

I actually think that it might help, but I have yet to see any real evidence supporting the claims. Some people claim it has worked wonders for them, but just as many have tried it without much success, so..
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
And oil and gas do not have any cleaners in them already?

All gasoline meets Federal minimum standards. Some bramds exceed it.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have two examples, but no science to back it up.

I think what you mean is simply that your evidence does not stand up to independent scrutiny. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have no scientific testing to back up my claims, although many people here seem to make the same claims. To some that just isn't good enough. Then the antis make the same attacks, if not in this thread, in another. It's getting old now. Didn't we already go down this road? LOL

All I can say is I wish I had pictures of engines I cleaned up with the stuff, problem is many were before digital cameras and the Internet. Then someone will say they were photo-shopped, so what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back