BMW Z3 transmission & rear axle oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched the posts and could not find the recomended gear oil for my Z3 5spd transmission and rear axle.
With 81k adult miles on it I think it's time
My preference is Mobil1 or Redline please advise.

Thanks Tim

I have a BMW tsb on the rear axel of that car if I could find it I will post. Why not fire an email off to Dave at Redline?
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I have a BMW tsb on the rear axel of that car if I could find it I will post. Why not fire an email off to Dave at Redline?
19.gif

The TSB is liely related to the use of 75w-140 fluids (castrol XJ) in the LSDs of certain cars.

I personally have had great luck with amsoil MTF and gear lubes. The diff in my E30 would get noisy, and the trans would get stiff too fast with redline fluids. Not sure why, but it was consistent...

Originally Posted By: Ducati996
OOps sorry it's a 2000 with the 2.5 6cyl 5spd.

Tim

Tranny

BMW specs Dex III ATF or stock fluid from the dealer. The stock fluid is thinner than Dex III and much thinner than Amsoil MTF which is a 5W30.

I found the shifting to be very notchy when I first got the car with about 40,000 miles on it. I also have the common shift pin issue - I have to search for 4rd gear when shifting down from 5th when cold. I have researched and tried many different fluids in my 2000 Z3M 5spd tranny:

Mobil 1 ATF - not bad but notchy hot
Amsoil MTF - too thick cold but very nice warm or hot
Castrol Dex V1 - best feel cold but notchy hot
Royal Purple Syncromesh - best overall

It takes less than 2 litres.

As for Redline, others have reported good results using Redline D4 ATF.

Differential

For the rear diff I am running Quakerstate full synth 75W140. This fluid quieted down the diff noise significantly. On this car you are almost sitting over the diff and with the rag top it made a noticable difference. The 75W140 is recommended for the Z3M but I am not sure if the 75W140 is required for your car.

Originally Posted By: Ducati996
I just looked at the Amsoil site and they don't have a recomendation for the manual 5 spd transmission???

That's because they don't have a Amosoil Product, but if you look at footnote 2, they tell you:

[2] MTF-LT-1, BMW part no. 83 22 9 408 942 from
model year 2004 some manual transmissions are filled with
MTF-LT-2 which has the same properties as MTF-LT-1.
The MTF-LT-1 fluid may be mixed and or substituted for the
MTF-LT-2 manual transmission fluid, except SMG Transmission
in 2006 and later M3, M5, M6. 2006 and
later Z4 M Coupe/Roadster Require MTF-LT-2 fluid

Sounds like they only recommend BMW fluid.

The Amsoil site is great and always gives you the correct info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back