03 Camry 4cyl 2AZ-FE - Best Water Pump Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I hear is that these year 2AZFE's water pumps are horrible and prone to weeping as early as 30k miles. My father's Camry has 113 with no such bad luck but I'm trying to get him to get the pump replaced with the overdue coolant flush as well as the thermostat.

So, as the title implies, if I were to purchase the pump before-hand, which would be the least likely to go bust and start weeping?

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
All I hear is that these year 2AZFE's water pumps are horrible and prone to weeping as early as 30k miles. My father's Camry has 113 with no such bad luck but I'm trying to get him to get the pump replaced with the overdue coolant flush as well as the thermostat.

So, as the title implies, if I were to purchase the pump before-hand, which would be the least likely to go bust and start weeping?

Factory pumps. 113K isn't bad. Make sure he does the timing belt as well.

It's a chain not a belt, so no worries there.

I'd probably lean towards a factory pump as well. Not something you want bailing out with a cheapo part.

I know I'm gonna have to replace mine soon.. almost 120k miles. Beginning to see signs of weeping. I was looking at the Gates one from RockAuto for $50 with a lifetime warranty...

Ya, that's my point. All I hear elsewhere is how quick the factory pumps weep.

Well, it's the factory pumps thats been put into action on the assembly line that failed most. The local toy mech + dealerships I dealt with told me that the replacements shipped/sold recently are of good quality and never has a single comeback so far (most replaced during/before factory warranty is over, incl. my wifeys).

I attribute it to an initial quality issues on the water pump, and not the entire duration of the manufacturing run of the water pump that is at fault to begin with.

i don't trust any aftermarket water pumps esp. those "so-called" reman ones. Afterall: none of the vehicles i serviced with factory/OE water pumps have failed so far (cumulated mileage over 1 million kms to date).

Q.

I wouldn't replace the WP until it started weeping. You might get lucky and get another 100K out of the original. I would change the coolant and T-stat and use either Toyota's own, Zerex Asian or Peak Global a/f.

There really is no best brand as far as I can tell. I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with Bosch or AC Delco. My mother's car has a Rock Auto branded water pump in it with no issues.

Not sure I'd trust a dealer that:
1) only stocks Toyota water pumps
2) wants to protect Toyota image as being reliable

I had a 4 cyl 1988 toy camry "nice car" and the water pump an Aisin brand from the Toyota dealer started leaking at 55,000 miles and the timing belt change interval was 60,000 miles .I did it 3 times befoes selling the car.

A lot of the Toyota 1.5 pumps on the Prius seem to leak as well, based on the # of threads you see about it on the priuschat forum.

Regardless, I recently replaced a drive belt on a 07 Yaris (same 1.5 engine) with 92k that had no coolant weep at all from the factory pump, so it's a YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back