Economy tanks...price of oil goes down (yay!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. I understand how bad a thing it is that the stock market is tanking out..but on the news they say that the price of oil has gone down as a result as if it is a bad thing.

So in other words..do we need the stock market to crash in order to make daily living more affordable?

My moneys not on the market since I'm 19 and in college, so I say let it fall and if it makes oil go down too, even better.

Oil going down means less demand meaning economy slowing and people strapped for cash. Then it's a bad thing.

However, what media are not telling you that the economy is tanking exactly because the oil was expensive enough that it killed economy in the first place.

After this 2011 crash is over, there will be another recovery and another increase in oil prices and another crash waiting. This is how it works and it's called negative feedback.

People need to wake up and acknowledge peak oil and it's economic consequences.

I did my part and bought a Prius. It cut my personal gasoline use in half. If a good electric car was available and affordable, I would buy it too. All my yard equipment is electric powered.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
My moneys not on the market since I'm 19 and in college, so I say let it fall and if it makes oil go down too, even better.

Except for the part of no job for you when you graduate.

Speculation should not allow prices of oil and other material to constantly rise and fall, imo. If the actual cost of drilling for oil changes due to environmental constraints, natural disasters, wars, reduced production, etc., rising insurance and labor costs...wait a minute...what the heck actually makes oil go up and down so much?

Originally Posted By: BGK
Speculation should not allow prices of oil and other material to constantly rise and fall, imo. If the actual cost of drilling for oil changes due to environmental constraints, natural disasters, wars, reduced production, etc., rising insurance and labor costs...wait a minute...what the heck actually makes oil go up and down so much?

Economy 101: demand and supply. Yes, speculation plays some role, yes there was some speculation in July 2008 and May 2011, but all speculators are washed away now.

SUPPLY is your problem: you just need to open your eyes for obvious. Easy oil is gone already. Reasonably easy oil will be gone in short 15-20 years.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

I'm going for Computer information technology, and I already have a job waiting when I'm done.. no worried, someone will always have a broken server or computer for me to fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm going for Computer information technology, and I already have a job waiting when I'm done

Good for you. I thought those jobs went to India? Wait, it was programming. Sound like you chose your major well. Healthcare is another bright spot.

Those are the over the phone IT departments that the 2 year degree ppl work at and walk dumb ppl through how to register on such and such site

But yeah I shake my head every time I see kids going to useless majors, just because they want to go to college to say they did, I guess it will hit them in the face like a lead weight when they owe 30 grand and are still making less than 15 dollars at a job they didn't have to go to school for.

Hopefully the market recovers in the next few years... all of this "bad economy" talk is getting old...

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm in the minority here when I say I make more money on the price of oil going up with the few oil stocks I own, than the few dollars I save at the pump.

Hopefully the market recovers in the next few years... all of this "bad economy" talk is getting old...

Well, it lasted a while in 70s. Were are on a similar path now, but worse due to the aging baby boomers. You may want to study what happened in Japan after 1990.

Wait for the bottom and buy!
I sold my holdings before the crash luckily and i'm going all in when i think they have neared the bottom.

If you are still in the market remember you haven't lost anything until you sell or the stock hits 0!

Oil going down means less demand meaning economy slowing and people strapped for cash. Then it's a bad thing.

However, what media are not telling you that the economy is tanking exactly because the oil was expensive enough that it killed economy in the first place.

After this 2011 crash is over, there will be another recovery and another increase in oil prices and another crash waiting. This is how it works and it's called negative feedback.

People need to wake up and acknowledge peak oil and it's economic consequences.

I did my part and bought a Prius. It cut my personal gasoline use in half. If a good electric car was available and affordable, I would buy it too. All my yard equipment is electric powered.

I’ve sort of noticed that over the years. Our economy is so stupid. As soon as it is getting better, then gasoline kills off demand of other goods and services because that is where all our hard earned money goes. How retarded is our country?

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Our economy is so stupid. As soon as it is getting better, then gasoline kills off demand of other goods and services because that is where all our hard earned money goes. How retarded is our country?

This is the multiyear effect of policies shaped by and for the special interests.

Lately oil and banks special interests lobbiests were especially active and thus we are in this very poor shape and no hope of improvement.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
Our economy is so stupid. As soon as it is getting better, then gasoline kills off demand of other goods and services because that is where all our hard earned money goes. How retarded is our country?

This is the multiyear effect of policies shaped by and for the special interests.

Lately oil and banks special interests lobbiests were especially active and thus we are in this very poor shape and no hope of improvement.

That, and because of someone I’ll need not mention by name 

True! Or a low paying job, and in some cases a lifetime paying off student loans for the education.

To clarify the goobledygook you posted:

The US is DOOMED, and the ordinary citizens are screwed!

Too bad most Americans don't have the backbone that the Icelandic people had . They kicked out the bankers.

Well, when your money tanks in value its all about taking care of what needs to be done around you; that is use your skills to the benefit of those you can help. IF everyone could do that, money wouldn't be needed anyway as everyone would be cared for. It'd be all a barter system of exchanging value at least, without necessarily feeling the 'need' to receive what would be considered 'equal' value, because your work isn't centered around money but what it takes to live. The core of behavior and treatment of other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back